To gatecrash a sportive or not?

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited April 2017 in Road general
I've missed out on a sportive that I was going to do. Now that I am ready to buy a ticket they have all sold out.

Now the dilema. It's on a public road that is not been closed for the event. As long as I don't eat the food at the feed stops then there is technically no reason why I could not ride the same roads at the same time anyway. I just envisage having a kind of dirty feeling if I do this.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    earth wrote:
    As long as I don't eat the food at the feed stops then there is technically no reason why I could not ride the same roads at the same time anyway.

In a nutshell.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just download the GPS course and do it on a day of your choosing, with better weather and no dickheads. Feel all superior as you tut and shake your head at all the discarded gel wrappers, inner tubes and CO2 cartridges that the event left behind.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    If they're sold out, it's a "crime" with no victims... technically there is nothing in the law that prevents you from doing so.

I tell you more... IF you are towards the back of the ride, you might even help yourself at the food stops if the food is plentiful, especially things like cake, bananas, sandwiches, which will be inevitably binned if not consumed... it's such a waste! These days most folks pay their ticket but don't stop for food as it's a waste of precious time... half the food ends up in a bin.

However, I would not "steal" energy bars and generally speaking packaged food, which could be reused in a different event
    left the forum March 2023
  • earth
    I don't mind about the feed stops, I don't really need them. But I enjoy riding in an event. I just think if I go out doing this I will be a bit uneasy about saying I'm taging along, even if I have a good reason - it sold out. And I will be uneasy that it might come up in conversation. Plus what if I give people ideas and everyone starts doing it. It could wreck the whole scene!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    By that logic ugo -nip into the supermarket and closing time and walk out with all the out of date bread rolls ?

Pals of mine have occasionally joined in on sportives that they've missed out on - but done it self sufficiently.

Its probably nicer doing it on a quieter day though.
  • earth
    Fenix wrote:

Then it's just a ride on my own. There's nothing wrong with that but I also like the experience of an organised ride.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    A couple of times we have "followed" a sportive the day before when the route has been marked out.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Fenix wrote:
    By that logic ugo -nip into the supermarket and closing time and walk out with all the out of date bread rolls ?

Pals of mine have occasionally joined in on sportives that they've missed out on - but done it self sufficiently.

I think supermarkets collect this stuff for homeless charities, but otherwise they should offer it free of charge... it would be a crime not to!
  • ugo.santalucia
    earth wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Then it's just a ride on my own. There's nothing wrong with that but I also like the experience of an organised ride.

Do it, don't worry about the nay sayers... it will be a handful of you... there is no drawback whatsoever... no ripple effect... it's all nonsense
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I ride the local sportive every year without paying if I'm not racing, never pay and only used the feed stop once for water because it was like 30c one year and I was about to die.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Are not UK sportives on their ar ses anyways?
  • earth wrote:
    I just think if I go out doing this I will be a bit uneasy about saying I'm taging along, even if I have a good reason

Make yourself feel better by donating the probable 50p profit margin for a charitable cause
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I would, no qualms. You just happen to be going the same way.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I've had the same "sold out" Sportive experience myself a couple of years ago. After a similar dilemma I rode it on the day, a couple of hours after everyone else. Signs were still up to follow and I didn't have the "tagging along" conversations and the food stops were being taken down so didn't feel like I was taking the mick. Towards the end I started catching the back of the field and passing them, then I started to feel like I perhaps was taking the mick after all, but I was able to peel off towards home after 90 of the 100 miles after a very good ride - I didn't want to cross the finish line.
    Mind you since then the amount of times I have been out on a training ride and a Sportive is going at the same time using the same roads; I've even had a group on a Sportive ride up to my wheel and draft me for miles! So I wouldn't feel too guilty, you're right, they are public roads...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Fenix wrote:

I think supermarkets collect this stuff for homeless charities, but otherwise they should offer it free of charge... it would be a crime not to!
    They don't.
    They should.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    earth wrote:

Then pay for the organisation by being organised enough to enter :roll:

The fact its public roads is a red herring.
    The word 'gatecrash' says it all really.

You will be justifying stealing stuff next............ oh hang on, someone already did that 8)
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:

how is it a 'red herring'..???
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    This is so sad. Just get a map and work out a route and go for a ride and best of all its free.Its called riding your bike.
  • Garry H
    john1967 wrote:
    This is so sad. Just get a map and work out a route and go for a ride and best of all its free.Its called riding your bike.

He doesn't need to do that, somebody's already mapped out what's probably a decent route, so he can just use that one. If other people are daft enough to pay to ride on open roads, then more fool them.
  • earth
    Carbonator wrote:
    earth wrote:

You will be justifying stealing stuff next............ oh hang on, someone already did that 8)

I think you're just trying to play on my conscience now. I'm probably going to do the ride for the enjoyment of riding with a big field and make a donation to the charity even though I don't really have to.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Just offer to pay when you arrive.
  • Anonymous
    earth wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    earth wrote:

I think you're just trying to play on my conscience now. I'm probably going to do the ride for the enjoyment of riding with a big field and make a donation to the charity even though I don't really have to.

No I am not, I am just answering the question you asked, you just do not like my answer!
    Seems you have only asked on here to ease your conscience though.

What do you mean 'you don't really have to' pay?
    You are planning to take part in an organised event, a charity one at that.
    I think you either pay or don't do it.
    Join a bloody club or get some friends if you want to ride with others!

The fact its public roads is a red herring because its the organisation of the event that you are abusing.
    Its irrelevant where it is.

Its too late to pay now anyway, and you cannot just 'offer to pay when you arrive'.
    Whats the hope? They say no and this gives you more resolve to crash it for free?

I am guessing there are a fair few people doing it, and numbers are limited for a reason.
    What if hundreds of people felt like you? Thats all the organisation you seem to crave gone to pot then.

If you happen to be riding the same roads then fine, but if you don't like sportives then just stay away.
    If you plan to crash one, then you obviously like them, so man up and pay up (by entering on time).

What reason do you want to ride with others? To chat to them? To draft them? To use them as motivation to complete the distance? To relieve the boredom of a long ride?
    I would be pretty pee'd off if I had paid and was being used in this way, so don't be surprised if you get snubbed.

That said, these people do have higher morals than you, and are far more likely to be 'charitable' so you might be ok :wink:
  • Garry H
    The organisers are using services (roads) that you help fund anyway. You're already paying, so fill your boots.
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:
    The fact its public roads is a red herring because its the organisation of the event that you are abusing.

Specifically, what organisational abuse is created by riding on public roads at the same time as a sportive? I'm struggling to understand your logic.
  • Anonymous
    edited April 2017
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Specifically, what organisational abuse is created by riding on public roads at the same time as a sportive? I'm struggling to understand your logic.

Oh dear, the good old riding on public road argument again :roll:

Always assuming people are paying their taxes of course.
    Charity robbers and general something for nothing'ers are possibly dodging those too.

Don't understand my logic, or just don't like it? :wink:

Is getting a BHF RideLondon place for a £1 and then not raising any money ok in your book too?
    I know someone who does that and they crash sportives too.
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:

I can neither like it nor dislike it, because you haven't explained it yet. Still waiting. How are the event organisers being abused?
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I can neither like it nor dislike it, because you haven't explained it yet. Still waiting. How are the event organisers being abused?

I will let someone else help you, as you just want an argument with me :wink:
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I will let someone else help you, as you just want an argument with me :wink:

No, not asking for an argument, I'm simply asking you to explain your logic. If you were to explain it, I might even agree with it. But your refusal suggests to me that you are unable to.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Last summer on a Sunday morning I headed out to ride down to Brighton. After about 10km on my route I turned right and found myself right in the middle of a Clapham to Brighton sportive. It turned out their route was exactly the same as mine, no real surprise as it is a tried and tested route.

It wasn't a closed roads event, so I had no qualms continuing my ride. To some it may have appeared that I'd crashed their sportive, but seeing as I a) knew nothing about it and b) it was taking place on open roads, I wasn't going to change my plans. I didn't stop at any of their food stops etc, if I had that would have been a bit cheeky.
  • Doing it by accident is fine, doing it on purpose is a d**k move.