What is the maximum number of riders for BC circuit races?

pan280
pan280 Posts: 88
edited April 2017 in Amateur race
I am thinking of racing in velopark next week (CC Hackney Circuit Series).
But it seems that they allow up to 100 riders in the race.

Is that possible? It seems a bit dangerous, especially on that circuit.

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    BC has had risk assessments done on all courses (or nearly all of them, it takes time) so the number of riders on any given road or circuit course will be dictated by that. You can bet that there won't be more riders on the circuit than have been allowed by the RA, as that would invalidate the event's insurance.

The RAs seem to be kept fairly non-public though, you only see them as an organiser or commissaire, so I can't tell you what the official number is for the Velopark. I know some circuits went down in numbers (e.g., Crystal Palace down to 80 from 100). It's possible VP has done the same, and I think it's also possible that the numbers can change depending on the type and level of racing, but I can't say for sure.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    100 seems high, but if that's what's allowed then it will be in the RA, as mentioned. Also as Maryka says, the limit may change depending on the level of event. Certainly seems to at Sundorn.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Darley has 100 riders, although with the amount of crashes it soon gets whittled down.
  • A thought: the RA might mean 'at any one time' so actually with two races: men's and possibly women's races at same time? Or e.g. 3/4 and E/1/2/3 at same time. So each actual race somewhere less than 100. But there'll be points where they will cross each other.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I've raced at Darley and Mallory with over 100 in the past, if you are good at holding a position near the front it's ok. If the racing was more aggressive it'd be OK but they did and may still do let lapped riders rejoin for training which to my mind is wrong - last race I did at Mallory there was a huge crash - I spent a lap chasing on and they let about a dozen riders take a lap out and rejoin :( I sat up rather than contest the sprint as the sight of riders getting medical attention at the side of the road has that affect on me - sprint of course then passes without incident. The joys of 3/4 circuit racing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    The organisers are accepting up to 100 entrants. So that must be what is allowed. It's up to you whether you think it's unnecessarily risky or not. If you want to score you will need to be near the front all the way, so it makes no difference if there are 20, 40 or 60 riders behind you.

I think that this year the option to allow 'lap out' for crash and mechanical has been removed from the rules.

Paul
  • imposter2.0
    paul2718 wrote:
    I think that this year the option to allow 'lap out' for crash and mechanical has been removed from the rules.

Yep - no more laps out for mechanicals. You either rejoin and chase back on, or your race is over.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    It's more the lap out for getting dropped that I used to object to.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    It's more the lap out for getting dropped that I used to object to.

Same here - there were certainly a number of instances where the rule got abused - ie people faking mechanicals/punctures so they could have a rest and then re-join the bunch on the next lap. So rather than deal with the abusers, BC (over)reacted by simply banning laps out for any reason.
  • LWLondon
    LWLondon Posts: 55
    Imposter wrote:
    paul2718 wrote:

Yep - no more laps out for mechanicals. You either rejoin and chase back on, or your race is over.

Is this in all crit racing?!
  • imposter2.0
    LWLondon wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    paul2718 wrote:

Is this in all crit racing?!

Yes.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    How many on here realise that not all UK racing is run under BCF regs?
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Yes, it's a BC rule, won't apply to TLI or LVRC (though I have no idea what the rules are for those organisations, it's possible they already have something similar in place?)
  • imposter2.0
    JGSI wrote:

That's as maybe, but this thread is about BC-sanctioned races. So discussing rules as they relate to BC-sanctioned races is hardly unreasonable.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Imposter wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

That's as maybe, but this thread is about BC-sanctioned races. So discussing rules as they relate to BC-sanctioned races is hardly unreasonable.
    I'll get my coat
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    140 is the absolute max now...causing problems for Thruxton races.