'A Race Machine' - is it, really?

mellex
mellex Posts: 214
edited March 2017 in Road general
Just clicked on this review on the Bikeradar homepage: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-51113/

What really caught my eye is the quote which reads "One of 2017’s best value race machines"

As the owner of a 2017 Cannondale CAAD12, I know for a fact that this bike can't be a raced in any of the British Cycling sanctioned/supported events for the 2017 calendar year and possibly beyond. Why? It has disc brakes. I know because I contacted British Cycling before I entered a local Crit series. I was told that my bike could only be used for sportive events.

So I made a mistake, buying a bike that effectively isn't fit for the purpose I intended to use it. I should have done my homework for sure but it does raise the question, where exactly would you race the bike featured in this review? On the continent?

Personally I find this type of review very misleading.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The whole 'review' industry is highly misleading and very easily ignored for the sh it written in it.
    How long have you been racing for? Most of us knew 100% discs are a no no for this season and the next... in Vet racing probably a longer timescale, suits me..
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You could TT with it. Or er, attempt cyclo cross ?

This is a global site anyway - so you have to cut them some slack.

Did you ask at the shop about it ?
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    JGSI wrote:
    How long have you been racing for?

This is my first year and so far I've learnt that it IS all about the bike!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    You can race your mates, race sportives (most of them anyway), race to Strava glory, race to the cafe on the club run.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mellex wrote:
    So I made a mistake, buying a bike that effectively isn't fit for the purpose I intended to use it. I should have done my homework for sure but it does raise the question, where exactly would you race the bike featured in this review? On the continent?

Personally I find this type of review very misleading.

The bike is 'fit for purpose', but 'race-ready' and 'race-legal' are not necessarily the same thing. Your bike may be one of those things, but it certainly isn't the other.

Your bike will not be legal anywhere that the governing body currently defers to UCI technical regs. I wouldn't say the review is misleading, as such, but like most reviews, it clearly falls woefully short on facts.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Bike radar reviews all tend the 'advertorial' IMO - useful to increase your awareness of the product but not an independent appraisal of its merits
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D