Newbie Pain?

raz_kaz
raz_kaz Posts: 9
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

Just picked up my first road bike about 3 weeks ago, 2012 Specialized Allez Sport. This is the first time I get on a bike since I was about 12 goofing around on mtn/bmx bikes.

Took it out last week for a quick 8.5k ride just to get a feel for the clipless pedals, saddle height etc...did this sans cycling shorts and wow what a pain in the ***. I was feeling some pain in upper knees as well as where the sun don't shine. Did a bit of research and decided to pick up a pair of bib shorts and a jersey promptly after. In the meantime I did some more adjusting to the saddle height after watching a few more youtube videos from GCN on how to properly adjust the height.

Did my adjustments and went for another 8.5k ride to see if it felt any better. Between the bib shorts and the higher seating position it felt like a different bike all together and I managed to shave off 2mins off the same ride. Still feeling a bit of upper knee pain during the ride but not as bad as before.

So I'm wondering if this something that will eventually go away with some more minor seat adjustments or if it's more related to just "growing" pains of getting into cycling that clears itself up. Nothing too painful where I feel like I need to stop, so not a big deal either way.

Thanks!

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    When setting up a bike start with the saddle position. Use a spirit level and the manufacturers instructions to get it level (Make sure you are on level ground when you do this.) Next the saddle height you are after is when the crank arm points downwards in line with the seat tube you can bend your leg slightly and lift yourself a little off the saddle upwards in line with the seat tube. Make sure your feet are flat and you are not pointing your feet up or down to compensate for a saddle that is too high or too low.

What you are looking for is to be comfortable on the saddle and to be stable without any rocking. Next use KOPS to set the saddle for aft position, this gets it roughly right and then adjust as needed. Then ride the bike briefly and adjust as needed. It is better to have the saddle a little too low than a little too high as too high will cause injuries and discomfort.

The bar position is up to you and your preferred riding position. If it is too low flip the stem to the upright position.

Due to a knee injury I use flat pedals , someone else will be able to give advice on setting your cleats and pedals properly.

Good Luck and take your time :)
  • Craig0657
    Craig0657 Posts: 24
    Some very good advice on bike setup above.

Other things to consider would be your fitness/exercise level before you got into cycling? What's your fitness like at the moment? Any pre existing injuries?

Ive found cycling to be incredibly knee-friendly so this may just be the "growing pains" of getting into cycling.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Your rides are short, so most probably are growing pains. When you be on the position to make long rides, 4-5-6 hours at the saddle then even 2mm adjustment of the saddle height can make a huge deference.
  • raz_kaz
    Thanks for all the replies. No pre existing injuries and I jog 2.5km every morning with no pain anywhere so that's why I assume it must be some sort of growing pain or some more adjustments needed before being pain free.

Again the pain is very mild and nothing that forces me to stop and take a break. Going for a 15-20k ride this weekend and will report back!

Also just got a proper floor pump with a working gauge. Seems my tires were under inflated at 80psi, they have now been inflated to a proper 120psi. Lesson learned about buying a cheapo pump. Let's see how that changes my ride now
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    raz_kaz wrote:
    . Seems my tires were under inflated at 80psi, they have now been inflated to a proper 120psi. Lesson learned about buying a cheapo pump. Let's see how that changes my ride now

Not all tyres require 120psi+

How wide are your tyres? 23/25/28mm? It will usually say on the tyre, wider tyres need less pressure and will therefore be more comfortable. I personally use 110psi on 25mm tyres.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/mainte ... ssure.html
  • raz_kaz
    Joshgav wrote:
    raz_kaz wrote:
    . Seems my tires were under inflated at 80psi, they have now been inflated to a proper 120psi. Lesson learned about buying a cheapo pump. Let's see how that changes my ride now

Not all tyres require 120psi+

How wide are your tyres? 23/25/28mm? It will usually say on the tyre, wider tyres need less pressure and will therefore be more comfortable. I personally use 110psi on 25mm tyres.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/mainte ... ssure.html

Tires are 23c and imprinted on the sidewall was 110-125psi
  • Not sure with running that you worked on the vastus medialis much. This little guy sits by your knee and keeps your legs pedaling in the correct plane as you apply power (knees straight up and down instead of hitting the top tube). If not trained at all, these guys will hurt as you start out.

Also, get ready for a few impending calf cramps as you work up to longer rides and proper water and nutrition.

When I started, got my first one about 30 min into a 1 hour ride a few months in. Bad enough I almost fell off before getting the shoe out of the cage. I started on a used/free bike and shoe cages.

Good luck and have fun!
  • raz_kaz
    Not sure with running that you worked on the vastus medialis much. This little guy sits by your knee and keeps your legs pedaling in the correct plane as you apply power (knees straight up and down instead of hitting the top tube). If not trained at all, these guys will hurt as you start out.

Also, get ready for a few impending calf cramps as you work up to longer rides and proper water and nutrition.

When I started, got my first one about 30 min into a 1 hour ride a few months in. Bad enough I almost fell off before getting the shoe out of the cage. I started on a used/free bike and shoe cages.

Good luck and have fun!
    You called it. Finally went on a slightly longer ride yesterday, 12k. The knee pain is completely eliminated but right around the 30 min mark I started to get some cramps in my calves. Soon as I felt them I took some water but I know that it was too late. Managed another 5mins before I had to come in and get off the bike.

Also reading some more on heart rate zones and since I want to start working on my distance I've read that I should be in Z2 but it's really hard to slow it down cuz going fast is so much more fun, especially after you get to the top of a hill that slowed you down so much, I just want to enjoy the fruits of my labour lol.

I know it's too early for me since I just started cycling but what tips/tricks did some of you use to slow down the ride and focus on endurance and at what point do I start working on that vs just getting out on the bike?

Thanks!
  • DaveyO
    DaveyO Posts: 37
    I started cycling in May. I kept hitting my endurance wall around 35 miles in. Started training to a plan...intervals during the week and an normalish ride on a Saturday and a HR Z2 ride on a Sunday. Was really slow going at the start, but then started to notice my stubborn fat was disappearing and every week my power/average speed was creeping up. My Z2 ride on Sunday was 17.5mph with 5000ft of climbing over 85 miles, ate one Cliff oat bar on the way and plenty water. Those slow rides have turned into pretty quick rides that you don't need to recover from.Ditch the ego for a bit and give everyone a fright later on in the year.
  • I feel your pain. In exactly the same boat. Training for a massive ride in 10 weeks time. Due to work commitments I'm limited to riding at the weekends and mainly gym in the mornings and evenings. I bought The same bike as you and have been out on several 20k rides. The work I am doing in the gym (on the excercise bike) has massively helped me on the road. Last month instruggled cycling 10k in an hour. I'm a thirty year old smoker and I drink too. Since I've started training I have lost 1stone in weight and am now up to 20km on the road in 40 mins. Keep up the training and you will notice a massive difference in a few weeks.