Mike Hall - sad news

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
edited April 2017 in Road general
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/grave- ... 84d5f95737

Apparently now confirmed - really very sad news.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Tragic news, one of the front runners not far from the end of the race too.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tragic. The reports about his vision doesn't sound good either. Are we encouraging people to push too hard in these extreme events ?
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Fenix wrote:
    Tragic. The reports about his vision doesn't sound good either. Are we encouraging people to push too hard in these extreme events ?

That was my first thought after seeing those reports a few days ago. Hard to tell, obviously, but hopefully it will all be investigated in due course.

Sad news.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Fenix wrote:

I don't think 'we' are encouraging them any more than 'we' encourage climbers to attempt K2 or Everest. Some people are highly motivated to achieve extreme feats, sometimes this leads them beyond the bounds of safety with tragic consequences. Captain Oates et al spring to mind
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Fenix wrote:

How about we appreciate what a great and inspirational rider Mike was. There'll be plenty of time for an inquest but now is not the time with no facts known.

Mike was one of the best endurance athletes to come out of the UK and this is a massive tradgedy, lets reflect on that today and learn any lessons from this at a future time.
  • chris217
    chris217 Posts: 217
    here here to all comments, in shock and desperately sad news.

agree on the inspirational spirit, one of a kind and so humble with no ego.
  • OMark
    OMark Posts: 23
    Just read this, very sad indeed. Talented individual for sure.
  • Fenix wrote:

In light of this I would suggest a maximum amount of hours in the saddle as a rule for such events. Breaching this rule would be grounds for disqualification. Sounds like Mike pushed himself too hard and started getting symptoms which compromised his safety. Given the circumstances I can understand how someone could come to be in such a situation. The pressure to finish, and finish high must have been immense.
  • chris217
    chris217 Posts: 217
    Be careful we have no ideas as to circumstances and the very nature of the event is really defeated if we start imposing rules and restrictions also nigh on impossible to enforce

Terrible outcome we need to celebrate what Mike has achieved and try to Live our lives....that's what he would have wanted
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:

In light of this I would suggest a maximum amount of hours in the saddle as a rule for such events.
    In light of what?
    Have you seen a report of the official investigation or are you just kneejerking?

yup - thought so....
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    There's no doubt that sleep deprivation, huge amounts of exercise and riding on public roads carries a risk but no we don't know if it's relevant in Mike's death. I've heard of at least one PBP competitor who they think had a fatal accident after falling asleep but endurance racing isn't really my thing so whether it happens very rarely or a little more often I don't know. Unless it's more common than I suspect I'd be inclined to say it's a risk knowingly taken and whilst there may be other parties involved in a road accident I can't believe 3rd party involvement in bike accidents due to lack of sleep in endurance races is a significant issue.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not really fair to speculate until the facts are known. RIP