Majorca, I love it.

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    kingrollo wrote:
    Id really like to take my own bike - but it seems like an enormous amount of hassle.......

Id rather ride with an organised group - than pootle around on my own - seen or two places advertise such things...any experience ?

It's not THAT much hassle, but there are heaps of excellent bike rentals on the island, you have a huge choice at reasonable prices.

Either go for one of the big operators that have hundreds of riders and are excellent value for money or a smaller, niche operator for more personal service.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    kingrollo wrote:
    Id really like to take my own bike - but it seems like an enormous amount of hassle.......

Id rather ride with an organised group - than pootle around on my own - seen or two places advertise such things...any experience ?

It's not THAT much hassle, but there are heaps of excellent bike rentals on the island, you have a huge choice at reasonable prices.

Either go for one of the big operators that have hundreds of riders and are excellent value for money or a smaller, niche operator for more personal service.

Any particular companies you would suggest\recommend ?
  • I've rented from Rent March in Port de Pollenca - not very good at all.
    Also Canyon Base in Cala d'Or - They are officially run by Canyon and so very good. Although customer service is miserable both over email and in person.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I was out in April and am back out early October for 10 days. Flights all booked just need to decide where to be based this time. Last time stayed in Port Pollensa.

Maybe fancy somewhere different this time...
  • bernithebiker
    kingrollo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Any particular companies you would suggest\recommend ?

If you mean operators, then well, I'd recommend us, obviously (see below), but otherwise, Stuart Hall is the biggest and best value for money in PP. (the other end of the island).
  • twist83 wrote:
    I was out in April and am back out early October for 10 days. Flights all booked just need to decide where to be based this time. Last time stayed in Port Pollensa.

There's many choices. Perhaps Port de Soller, or indeed, Soller? Straight into the mountains that way.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    twist83 wrote:

There's many choices. Perhaps Port de Soller, or indeed, Soller? Straight into the mountains that way.
    Not much of a warm up though. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • twist83
    twist83 wrote:

Sounds a good shout. From memory it is literally into the mountains which we are looking for. Will have a look at some accommodation there.
  • twist83
    PBlakeney wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

Not much of a warm up though. :shock:

Climbs are pretty steady around that area so shouldn't be an issue. Will not be any worse than when we were in the Alps a month ago.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Frankly Soller /Port de Soller means you have to do the same one or two climbs each day to get out of the Valley, Id locate myself, for example, in Alaro, Bunyola, Selva, etc. There are 100s of niche tour companies, many of which dont have a huge experience with local hotels, restaurants and off the beaten track rides and so cant really offer much more than you can do yourself. Big groups, a la Stuart Hall, Trektravel etc etc etc have the advantage of lots of cyclist together but they are real sausage factories.

If you still want to book through a company send me a PM, Ive got a really good couple of companies I know, but I dont like to use public websites to drive publicity, its tacky.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • bernithebiker
    4kicks wrote:

If you still want to book through a company send me a PM, Ive got a really good couple of companies I know, but I dont like to use public websites to drive publicity, its tacky.

Why is it tacky? If you know and recommend some good companies then why not say so? This thread in this forum is a useful source of information for those looking to go cycling in Majorca. Isn't it a bit like having a helmet thread and then saying, 'I know of a really good helmet, but I'd rather not say what it is.'?

There are many different cycle tour companies in Majorca, for all tastes, styles and budgets. Given that old school (magazine, etc.) advertising no longer works, you have to use every new avenue open to you.
  • twist83
    As we did in April for Mallorca we will be going self sufficient. I am going with the other half and she isn't a fan of riding in bigger groups. Plus we prefer the flexibility of everything being down to ourselves.

Thanks for the offer and advice though. Much appreciated.
    4kicks wrote:
    Frankly Soller /Port de Soller means you have to do the same one or two climbs each day to get out of the Valley, Id locate myself, for example, in Alaro, Bunyola, Selva, etc. There are 100s of niche tour companies, many of which dont have a huge experience with local hotels, restaurants and off the beaten track rides and so cant really offer much more than you can do yourself. Big groups, a la Stuart Hall, Trektravel etc etc etc have the advantage of lots of cyclist together but they are real sausage factories.

• craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    Pro Cycle Hire at Port Pollensa were great. They do organized rides too. Good cafe as well and helpful staff.
    https://www.procyclehire.com/
  • For anyone that hasn't ridden in Majorca and would like a taste of what it's like;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K93MyiVPWq0

Cyclespeed : The Movie, official release! See how we roll in Mallorca; the roads, the restaurants, the rides, the beaches, and yes, the crashes!!!
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    We are heading back to Majorca at the end of April of 6 days cycling staying in Port de Pollenca (Pollentia Club). I have planned routes for the hillier days, but am after suggestions for 2 easier days so probably heading in land. Does anyone have suggesting for nice routes around 50-60 or so miles. Don't mind a bit of climbing, but they are basically recovery days with plenty of coffee stops, quiet roads and nice scenery would be good! Thanks
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    We are heading back to Majorca at the end of April of 6 days cycling staying in Port de Pollenca (Pollentia Club). I have planned routes for the hillier days, but am after suggestions for 2 easier days so probably heading in land. Does anyone have suggesting for nice routes around 50-60 or so miles. Don't mind a bit of climbing, but they are basically recovery days with plenty of coffee stops, quiet roads and nice scenery would be good! Thanks

Go to Formentor and back. Twice. The road there is amazing.
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

Go to Formentor and back. Twice. The road there is amazing.

And pan flat?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bernithebiker
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

Formentor doesn't really qualify as 'easy', especially not if you do it twice. It's hilly all the way.

You should head South / South West and climb Randa. It'll be mostly flat there and back, with just Randa as the only significant climb.

It's a big lump of hill in an area where there are no hills so you get great views across the whole island. About 4km at 5% if memory serves correctly. There is a cafe at the top too.
  • dazz_ni45
    Thanks. Cap Formentor is already in the plans for one of the days as part of a longer route. I'm looking for some quieter inland road. Randa looks good, but may be a little too far but I will map it out and see how it turns out.

Any suggested route for getting down there staying on quieter roads? Via Sineu I assume?
  • twist83
    I have one around that distance I think on my Strava profile from last year.

I cannot get on at work for some reason. I will link it up later. This was departing in P. Pollensa as well.

We are out there from the 24th - 29th April.
  • dazz_ni45
    twist83 wrote:

I cannot get on at work for some reason. I will link it up later. This was departing in P. Pollensa as well.

Thanks. We are there 23-29 April staying at the Pollentia Club
  • pblakeney
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Thanks. Cap Formentor is already in the plans for one of the days as part of a longer route. I'm looking for some quieter inland road. Randa looks good, but may be a little too far but I will map it out and see how it turns out.

Any suggested route for getting down there staying on quieter roads? Via Sineu I assume?
    Pollenca, Campanet, Selva, Inca, Sineu, Petra and down to the coast road return for a route without any major climbs?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

Liège-Bastogne-Liège is the 23rd, probably on in the Rapha club if its open by then.
  • pblakeney
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

Liège-Bastogne-Liège is the 23rd, probably on in the Rapha club if its open by then.
    It'll be on at the pub opposite the Fergus Hotel. Edit - Palms Bar.
    Much easier to get to post ride. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

It'll be on at the pub opposite the Fergus Hotel. Edit - Palms Bar.
    Much easier to get to post ride. :wink:

Will try it, amazed at how many places in PP don't show any cycling
  • pblakeney
    British pub that has the savvy to cater for cyclists during "cycling season", especially with the Fergus just being across the road although probably hit by all-inclusive. Don't bother going in the summer though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    British pub that has the savvy to cater for cyclists during "cycling season", especially with the Fergus just being across the road although probably hit by all-inclusive. Don't bother going in the summer though.

Don't usually venture down that far, is that nearly in Alcudia?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Im there from the 25th to 30th the will be 10 in my main group and the same again our semi accepted tri group, the pace will be hard the rides medium long if anyone fancies a big PM me
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

Don't usually venture down that far, is that nearly in Alcudia?
    The Pollentia Park where the other poster is staying is the leisure park half way between Port Pollensa and Alcudia. The Fergus Hotel is the obvious, huge (non planning compliant) hotel in Port Pollensa. Formerly Pollensa Park Hotel.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dazz_ni45
    Has anyone recommendations for a decent bike shop/mechanic around Port de Pollencia or Alcudia?

I fly out this weekend and am bringing my own bike this year so I just want to have an idea of somewhere I can go that will take walk ins if something happens my bike that I can't sort myself. We are staying out at Pollentia Club and there are two onsite bike hire shops, but I get the impression that they really only deal with their own hire bikes (I may be wrong).

Thanks