A Bike For Deliveroo

manx_cat
manx_cat Posts: 52
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
HI,

Just want to ask, out of these two, which is the most sensible option for doing Deliveroo?

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/cube-hyde-pro ... AhB-8P8HAQ

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2016

Thanks!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Where? How many miles per day?

Some couriers do 80 miles a day in London.
    For flat city miles and moderate mileage, I would look at a single speed, but if the mileage is high, you probably want gears. I wouldn't want off road tyres under any circumstance... you want fast rolling tyres, durable but not too heavy... City jet or Kojak from Schwalbe... for 26 inch... Vittoria Randonneur or Voyager for 700 c
    left the forum March 2023
  • Strictly for Deliveroo and not riding for pleasure, I would probably choose the Cube Hyde Pro.

I'm presuming Nexus 8 hub gears can change gears while stationary, just like Alfine 8-speeds on my old Saracen Pylon8, very handy for traffic lights where you suddenly have to grind to a halt in the city centre.
    I'm presuming the Nexus hub gear is of a decent quality compared to the Alfine 8.
    Masses of tyre clearancce (not sure how big you can go on the Boardman).
    The bike looks less desirable to me by a long way.

But it is over 3Kg heavier than the Boardman, albeit you could easily drop ~1Kg from the Cube by swapping out the tyres.
    You could get 10% British Cycling discount off the Boardman and then pay for it with vouchers bought through your employer with ~9% discount, so it could cost you ~£410 if you paid for it in-store.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have the boardman ... its a good bike .... but if I was riding in all weathers all day in a city I think I would opt for the reduced maintanence of the hub gear.

It doesn't take much for the black city gunk when it gets wet to start to clog up the gears ... 3kg wont be bad if its a flat city ... mind you in Bristol when I am fully loaded the hills can really get to you.

it comes down to the terrain flat/hilly .... how much are you riding

flat, all weather, all day - the hub gear ! ... mind you if it was flat I would so Single speed
  • Fixed gear, job done.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If manx stands for Manchester, then it's pan flat (at least the centre is) and he doesn't need gears
  • manx_cat
    If manx stands for Manchester, then it's pan flat (at least the centre is) and he doesn't need gears

Its going to be in Liverpool, got Brownlow Hill to deal with....

Not a massive hill but I reckon getting up it on a single speed wouldn't be very pleasant.
  • manx_cat wrote:

Not a massive hill but I reckon getting up it on a single speed wouldn't be very pleasant.

You'll be fine, 600m at 4% is with a small kick at the end. Hardly even a hill! :)
  • manx_cat
    manx_cat wrote:

You'll be fine, 600m at 4% is with a small kick at the end. Hardly even a hill! :)

How come you know the exact stats of a random hill in Liverpool?
  • ugo.santalucia
    manx_cat wrote:

In which case the hub gears are probably a good advice for low maintenance. Bear in mind whichever bike you get, you will probably need a tyre upgrade, most of them come with pretty shoddy ones, especially at that price point... budget for 50 quid or so
  • manx_cat wrote:
    manx_cat wrote:

How come you know the exact stats of a random hill in Liverpool?

Strava.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah I think I'd want gears for that - it may be fine on fresh legs - but fully loaded with pizza at the end of the day....

I've seen some pretty flash road bikes for deliveroo in Lpool and also electric bikes ? The cheats...
  • manx_cat
    manx_cat wrote:

In which case the hub gears are probably a good advice for low maintenance. Bear in mind whichever bike you get, you will probably need a tyre upgrade, most of them come with pretty shoddy ones, especially at that price point... budget for 50 quid or so

Ok thx.
  • Whatever you get, don't forget to fit some security skewers to replace quick release skewers (and I'm not saying that because of Liverpool, I have family in Sefton and Bebington, I'm saying it because of the urban nature of the job).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
  • manx_cat
    edited March 2017
    Whatever you get, don't forget to fit some security skewers to replace quick release skewers (and I'm not saying that because of Liverpool, I have family in Sefton and Bebington, I'm saying it because of the urban nature of the job).

What are security skewers? If its something to do with the lock bracket, I was just going to get an expensive chain lock with a padlock and wrap it round the seat post.

Im not bothered about someone saying stuff about Liverpool anyway if you were, because ill be the first to admit that parts of it are really horrible.
  • manx_cat wrote:
    Whatever you get, don't forget to fit some security skewers to replace quick release skewers (and I'm not saying that because of Liverpool, I have family in Sefton and Bebington, I'm saying it because of the urban nature of the job).

What are security skewers? If its something to do with the lock bracket, I was just going to get an expensive chain lock with a padlock and wrap it round the seat post.

They're something like this:

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... Atto8P8HAQ

Replace the QR and require a special key to get them off.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    One that has autopilot, so that you can ride along, whilst staring at your phone.