Help Upgrading Forme 5 BTWIN Road Sora to ???

WallSt
WallSt Posts: 36
edited March 2017 in Workshop
:idea:

Hiya All!!!

Your guidance and knowledge is appreciated, I did look at the topics but I still remain unsure on how to upgrade my bike.

I bought a BTWIN Forme 5, Flat Bar.

The Bike is Stock & in red some ideas of changes:-

1. Shifters : Shimano Deore (R660) Trigger 9x3
Weight: 300g

Should I change to: Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Rapidfire Pods
Weight: 255g

Is it necessary and worth it, at a cost of $65 a pair on sale for a 45g saving?

2. Front Derailleur: Shimano Triple (assume its stock Sora)
Weight: 105g

Thinking of keeping it stock for now, unless you recommend something? Ultegra is around $30. I say Ultegra as I am considering changing the rear derailler to Ultegra.

3. Rear derailleur: Shimano Sora
Weight: 246g

I am thinking of Shimano Ultegra RD-6700 Rear Derailleur
Weight: 190g (GS). Medium cage. 34T (RD-6700-SS).

4. Cassette: Shimano Sora (HG50) 12-25 9sp
Weight: 346g

I need a better climbing ratio like a 28-11 cassette. Can I put a 10sp or does it have to be a 9sp?

Can I put in a Shimano 105 5700 10 Speed Cassette, 28-11 or a Ultegra Cassette 30-12 10 speed.

Weight Average: 269g

5. Crankset: Shimano FC453 50/39/30
Keeping as it is for now.

HAVE TO DO IT:

6. Caliper brakes/Levers : Double pivot/Alloy black 3 fingers Btwin
Rear is frozen broken. Plan to change? Good value choices?
Weight: Assuming 360-380g

I like Campagnolo Chorus Skeleton
Weight: 302g

SUMMARY

HELP Needed to Upgrade to climb better. I would like to change the deraillers and lighten the bike (nice sales are on the UK sites).

Can I keep the shifters, & importantly will the 10 cassette 28-11 or 30-12 work on the triple Deore system or do I upgrade that to XT.

Do I upgrade the brake levers, to when I change the brakes?

Is my configuration going to work for the derailler that is now on a 9 cassette 25-12, triple.

THANKS

Some Photos:

97EAE951-D4B1-41CF-A3EE-C1FE16C86ADB_zpsekwfp861.jpg

B629BBFF-5592-4E45-AD8A-B8E3C0A4A73D_zps82jmmhdx.jpg

52535ED1-D4DC-44B7-B638-0F092C40CD88_zps50wej44s.jpg

C2E3F8E4-A8E6-4120-9B0D-A488A8B48C29_zpspu7lkxdz.jpg

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Not really worth upgrading any parts on such a bike

Maybe get a lighter wheelset & tyres
  • WallSt
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Not really worth upgrading any parts on such a bike

Maybe get a lighter wheelset & tyres

Done:-
    I have a spare set of Shimano RS81s C24s, that will be going on to the bike.

My other bikes a Scott Addict (for race riding), this one is really a toy I got cheap and thought of updating.

What I like is that the front and rear frame forks are carbon.

Thanks again!
  • If you are running 9sp then keep all the components 9sp, I would also keep shifters/mech the same (ie road or mtb)

Yes you can fit an 11-28 9sp cassette on this bike (it worked fine on mine)

It all depends on your needs, if you want a good hack bike, I would leave it as Sora. The groupset is cheap to replace a you wear components out, its also nice & reliable.
  • WallSt
    If you are running 9sp then keep all the components 9sp, I would also keep shifters/mech the same (ie road or mtb)

Yes you can fit an 11-28 9sp cassette on this bike (it worked fine on mine)

It all depends on your needs, if you want a good hack bike, I would leave it as Sora. The groupset is cheap to replace a you wear components out, its also nice & reliable.

I think you have a great good point.

Its a cheap bike/frameset. I would end up spening $275-290 to save 193g's. A diet on me would quickly lose 2-3kgs! :lol:

I shall look for a 9 cassette for it as you note: 28-11. The ratio's are perfect for fast riding at current: 25-12, so a change to 28 should help climbing here in Switzerland. The brakes actually do work well, so I may stick to the original BTWIN replacement as it has to be cheaper than my suggestion.

All others ideas welcome.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    If you want even wider range, you could fit a 9 speed mountain bike rear derailleur and an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette.

You can't mix 10 speed components as you were planning to, by the way. 10 speed MTB kit (like XT) and 10 speed road kit (like Ultegra) use different cable pull ratios. Also, you can't really use Campagnolo brakes with non-Campagnolo brake levers, because the cable release function (which allows the brake to open slightly to get the wheel out) is at the lever for Campagnolo and at the brake for pretty much everyone else.
  • WallSt
    whyamihere wrote:
    If you want even wider range, you could fit a 9 speed mountain bike rear derailleur and an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette.

You can't mix 10 speed components as you were planning to, by the way. 10 speed MTB kit (like XT) and 10 speed road kit (like Ultegra) use different cable pull ratios. Also, you can't really use Campagnolo brakes with non-Campagnolo brake levers, because the cable release function (which allows the brake to open slightly to get the wheel out) is at the lever for Campagnolo and at the brake for pretty much everyone else.

Thanks for the note. I will look at changing the cassette, I found a Shimano HG50 9 Speed Cassette Silver Grey 11-30. Adding a KMC chain. Its really a great run around, I think this should make climbing the mountains far easier now in Swiss Cheese and Chocolate Fondue legs land.

Think its smarter to keep to stock brakes, they work well. Appreciate the info that I cant mix and match.

I guess just adding a 9speed cassette on my spare tyres will be most sensible.

Thanks again bud.