Are these racks secure? Any advice to set up new racks?

imnotb
imnotb Posts: 2
edited March 2017 in Road general
Hello :)

I have some questions about bike racks, but i didn't find an appropriate topic for that, so sorry if it's in the wrong forum

I live in an apartment, there are bike racks in the garage (anyone in the building can access), and the racks seem insecure to me. I would bet it's easier to cut the racks than my personal lock.
HH2U0ko.jpg

What do you think ?

I'm tempted to change them for larger ones, such as this :
DAOt0yG.jpg

Are they significantly more reliable ?
How much would these cost (approximately) ?
How would I fix them to the ground ? Screws seem a bit dumb to me, I would rather think about concrete or some glue in addition to screws, but I have no idea how we're supposed to attach it :)

Thanks !

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Or you'll have drunken pranksters buckle your wheel for fun.
    Just drag it up to your flat.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    i put a wall-mount bike holder in, then added an anchor at the correct height to allow looping a big u-lock through it and the bike, aside from being secure (barring an angle grinder) it puts the bike at the right height for maintenance

anything tall and floor mounted is vulnerable to leverage attack, a bike lock on/near the ground is much easier to get at with a jack to break it open

you need to use proper expansion bolts correctly installed into solid material, screws/plugs won't withstand much leverage

wall/floor anchor...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hor-19280/

big u-locks...

https://www.xenasecurity.com/xena-produ ... ks/xsu-69/

unless the garage has proper secure access (not just drive in or a simple barrier) i would assume it'll often be explored by thieving scum, even a locked bike can be quickly stripped of parts for selling on, just needs a few hex keys
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny