Starting a build. Frame and forks?

youngy4130
youngy4130 Posts: 8
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm looking at starting a custom built hardtail. The bike i have at the moment isn't very good and I'm after an upgrade.

I know it's easier and cheaper to buy a complete bike but I'd like to build my own. I'd like complete control over my components and want to learn more about building bikes in the process. I ride trails/enduro mainly so looking for something I can throw about a lot and get some speed also not too difficult in the climbs.

I'm after some advice on a Frame and forks.

I'm looking at the On*One DeeDar frame at the moment. Its £300 They also do a very popular (and cheaper) 456650b frame but there's something about the seat stay that doesn't feel right to me. It just doesn't look very strong.

Does anyone have experience with either of these? Or any other good recommendations at about that price point?

Secondly I'm trying to figure out what the best forks options are around £300-500 I don't really know where to start with the forks so would love some advice.

Comments

• midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    The 456 is a solid frame I've had mine a few years and like it a lot. You looked at the Dartmoor hornet, that' gets good reviews
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 45650B would survive a nuclear event, they've been using that stay design without issues on steel and alloy frames for a long long time! (Inbred, Scandal and 456).

Both are steel, any reason you are looking at steel (both are pretty heavy even by steel standards), what would you be using the bike for? Both get great ride reviews as it happens but not ridden either although I have ridden a mates Inbred.

Personally I'd stick with Rockshox forks, solid and reliable option, which one depends on the bikes intended usage and the travel you want which are.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Steel was just because of budget, I haven't found anything else looking at that price range.

I'd be using it for trails, bike centre kind of stuff.
  • The Rookie
    How aggressive, fireroad/smooth trails, trail (centre type) or bigger technical stuff up to what is classified as Downhill in the UK?

Plenty of alloy frames at that price, did you honestly even look?
    Parkwood currently £99 http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOPK27/o ... -275-frame
    Ragley Marley £250 http://www.jmtb.co.uk/ragley-marley-27. ... -2017.html
    Just two good ones for starters......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I usually ride the trail centre's hamsterly, sherwood and cannock. Wanting something that will let me go faster and move around more aggressively.

I'd seen the parkwood but shyed away from a £100 aluminium frame. I've heard good things about steel and bad about aluminium.

Didn't spot the Marley though...
  • The Rookie
    For your use I'd take the Parkwood, what bad have you heard? If you listen to every negative comment you won't be building a bike as every component will have some negative comments.

I have 2 2006 alumium frames, both are working perfectly, I've just retired a 2005 Hybrid alloy frame I bought used and then built up for commuting which did well over 7000 miles.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing wrong with the Parkwood frame, just not the sort of thing people buy, so they sell them off cheap.

You'll probably get a better bike for the money buying a whole one on sale. Manufacturers get much bigger discounts than you can get.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    That parkwood looks nice. Only available in large but I am 6ft 2 so its probably ok...

Replacement for my marin hawk hill
  • midgehulluk
    For an extra £30 I'd get the 45650b gives you more fork options over the parkwood!
    Ragley Marley is a good option at £250( as suggested), yet again you will have more fork options. As I've already said the Dartmoor hornet at £200 can't be ignored and going on your original post, it sounds like you will benefit having more then 120 travel and a stronger rear axle which the parkwood doesn't offer
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Dartmoor hornet is an ace bike and dam cheap but probably a bit small for your size.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... prod146014
  • The Rookie
    For an extra £30 I'd get the 45650b gives you more fork options over the parkwood!
    Ragley Marley is a good option at £250( as suggested), yet again you will have more fork options. r
    Depends on the desired usage, for an XC to light trail bike the Parkwood would be better than the 45650 by a decent margin, the fork option is only relevant if its used!
  • midgehulluk
    The Rookie wrote:
    Ragley Marley is a good option at £250( as suggested), yet again you will have more fork options. r
    Depends on the desired usage, for an XC to light trail bike the Parkwood would be better than the 45650 by a decent margin, the fork option is only relevant if its used!

I agree the parkwood is a good bike for xc/trail but he stated he wanted to throw it a around alot and If that's the case would benefit from more travel and a stiffer back end.
  • Yeah that what I was thinking something to throw about and ride pretty hard. Black routes at trail centres.

Looking about I'm leaning towards the DeeDar from On*One still. They're really local so going to look at their show room tonight. Going to spend some time at Evans and JE James this weekend as well.

Thanks for all the help!