Bike sitting for a while

Shawn550
Shawn550 Posts: 6
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hey guys. I am sad to say my poor bike has been sitting for over two years. I bought it brand new, took it out for a ride about ten times, then left it stored in my bedroom. The tires are flat. Can I expect to just fill them up and ride? Also, anything else I should look into? Do the cables get loose? Thanks.

Shawn

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes to the former, no to the latter.

You could go over it with an Allen key lube the chain but if it's literally been sitting there doing nothing then nothing is going come undone by itself.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Shawn550
    Shawn550 Posts: 6
    Ok I am glad to hear. Thanks again for your help!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good practice (though not essential) is to ensure that the gears are shifted into a small/small combo before storage as that takes the pressure off the cables but it is a little late now. As above, you should be able to fill and go but I would go around and relube carefully and with the right lube (something like 3in1 on the pivot points, jockey wheels and under the BB guide, etc) and just check the tyres for cracking and ensure the brake blocks are ok. Some stored rubber can age dreadfully but don't be too frightened of anything that looks cosmetic.

Have a careful check of things like BB and headset, etc. They should be ok but I have heard of some cases where the bearings have settled over time but easily solved with just a few gentle wake up turns before going mad.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Shawn550 wrote:
    Ok I am glad to hear. Thanks again for your help!

Pleasure - happy to help any time.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.