Clothing for commuting

emek
emek Posts: 3
edited March 2017 in Commuting chat
Dear cycling commuters,

We are a group of people who are trying to develop cycling clothing that are intended for commuters and we want them to be good-looking and comfortable for YOU. We would appreciate if you could help us by giving us some pointers on what's important for you!

1. What functions are important to YOU?
2. How would YOU define quality?
3. How would YOU define good-looking clothing?
4. What is it that YOU are missing on the market today?
5. Top 3 things you are looking for in clothing?
6. What brands do you currently buy from (top 5)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    1. Wings and rocket motors.
    2. Keeps looking new for 2,000 miles of all-weather commuting.
    3. Looks like a good suit, suitable for a court appearance or work in a law firm.
    4. There's just not enough day-glo.
    5. Adjustability, durability, spikes.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    What sort of commuter are you looking at?

I commute in cycle specific clothing and I think most folks on here do. Are you interested in feedback on that or are you looking more at the 'urban casual vintage fixeh' end of the market?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • emek
    emek Posts: 3
    Asprilla wrote:
    What sort of commuter are you looking at?

I commute in cycle specific clothing and I think most folks on here do. Are you interested in feedback on that or are you looking more at the 'urban casual vintage fixeh' end of the market?

I'm more interested in urban casual cycling clothes that can be use when commuting by cycling but at the same time be used on the train, the bus, running errands, doing other types if sports (like running), going in to work with, without having to take it off due to it looking "too" much like pure cycling clothing :)
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    There are 3 types of commuter clotheswise in my experience.

1. Cycling specific clothes - lycra shorts, jerseys, jackets etc, including all price points from Lidl to Assos.
    2. Shorts/tracksuit bottoms/leggings, trainers & a t-shirt, not cycling specific
    3. Normal clothes

I reckon classes 2 & 3 don't care, and class 1 are already well catered for. I very rarely see anyone in the "commuting-casual" stuff sold by Vulpine etc. I have a merino t-shirt and pair of their casual rain shorts, - they're great, but I never use them on the bike.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    I'd like a jersey with a zip up pocket on the chest (or somewhere on the front) to keep my train pass in. It's hassle getting it out of my back pockets when I've got a rucksack on and big gloves.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I would agree. "urban casual" is, I reckon, a very niche market inhabited by hipsters & Rapha fan boys who live within a mile or three of their artisanal coffee house of choice/workplace.

Maybe you need to target Allez Man and his "Uni hockey club" look - I'm sure there's a market for commuter specific hockey/rugger socks - maybe some sort of branded cycle specific hoodie for colder mornings; "CS7 Hockey....errr I mean, Cycle Soc Tour 2017" etc etc :wink:
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • J_MCD wrote:
    I'd like a jersey with a zip up pocket on the chest (or somewhere on the front) to keep my train pass in. It's hassle getting it out of my back pockets when I've got a rucksack on and big gloves.

There you go

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/brevet- ... ct/BJR04XX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Have to agree with all above. Most of the commuters on here are hard-core compared to much of your average town commuter.

When I was doing a short town commute, what I really wanted was something that I didn't sweat too much in when I arrived in the office because I never learned to cycle slowly and not get warmed up.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    emek wrote:
    1. What functions are important to YOU?
    2. How would YOU define quality?
    3. How would YOU define good-looking clothing?
    4. What is it that YOU are missing on the market today?
    5. Top 3 things you are looking for in clothing?
    1 - Breathable, fast wicking, close fitting
    2 - can it survive one or two all weather uses (and washes) a week for more than a couple of years without falling apart?
    3 - does it stain when sprayed with road grime? Does it match the colour of my bike?
    4 - nothing TBH
    5 - cheapness, longevity, comfort
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    I can't really commute in a suit, so i'll have to change anyway, so why not go for cycling specific kit? i.e. lycra etc.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I tend to think that any distance that's short enough for me to wear 'normal' clothes is't worth thinking about getting 'special normal' clothes. That said I do have some and I like them.

I get my jeans from Swrve and I like the neat touches like a higher waist at the back, seamless crotch and reflective strips on the inside of the right leg for when you roll it up to keep it out of the chainrings. That said, the reflective strip does disagree with airport body scanners and will lead to a pat down / explosive swab.

I also have a water resistant hoodie from Surface (who unfortunately appear to be no-longer with us). I wear it all the time and it's help up well. I like the fact that the pocket zips are inverse so they are easier to close one handed by pulling down rather then up. It's edge case, but I've had to zip them up while riding a few times.

Also I have have a Vulpine Harrington jacket. I like it because it looks nice. Not sure if any of the cycling 'features' are useful. The pocket over the right kidney is very difficult to get into simply because the fabric isn't as stretchy as the jerseys it's mimicking. If it were stretchy though it would ruin the cut of the jacket.

I used to have a Rapha City jacket. Boil in the bag for me, but a colleague rides 60km a day at 30kph in one though the winter and loves it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    hopkinb wrote:
    I very rarely see anyone in the "commuting-casual" stuff sold by Vulpine etc.
    There's a good reason for that: If you can afford to dress in head-to-toe Vulpine, you probably don't need to work.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    As noted, trousers that have a
    higher waist at the back, seamless crotch and reflective strips on the inside of the right leg for when you roll it up to keep it out of the chainrings
    will always be welcome. Add a zipped coin pocket and perhaps a small D ring to clip on a small keyring and you're golden.
    There seem to be many companies offering these types of clothing - Vulpine, Rapha, Swrve, Chrome, Muxu, Showers Pass, etc. Some tried and didn't repeat- Giro New Road collection anyone?
    I'd say there is a mid-market gap between the high and the low for someone to get in, before uniqlo or similar have a crack.
  • j_mcd
    J_MCD wrote:

There you go

OK, I'd also like companies such as Rapha and Castelli to make clothes for the 'huskier gentleman'.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    hopkinb wrote:
    There are 3 types of commuter clotheswise in my experience.

1. Cycling specific clothes - lycra shorts, jerseys, jackets etc, including all price points from Lidl to Assos.
    2. Shorts/tracksuit bottoms/leggings, trainers & a t-shirt, not cycling specific
    3. Normal clothes

I reckon classes 2 & 3 don't care, and class 1 are already well catered for. I very rarely see anyone in the "commuting-casual" stuff sold by Vulpine etc. I have a merino t-shirt and pair of their casual rain shorts, - they're great, but I never use them on the bike.

I wear 3, though I have a fair bit of Vulpine and such, which I use on the MTB/CX as i'm not really wild on the full lycra nor baggy stuff either. it's good enough for 60-75 miles on the CX including 20+ mile climbs and such, and long days in and out of the saddle on the MTB.
  • J_MCD wrote:
    J_MCD wrote:

There you go

OK, I'd also like companies such as Rapha and Castelli to make clothes for the 'huskier gentleman'.

XXL is a 45" chest. Huskier than that?
  • TGOTB wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    I very rarely see anyone in the "commuting-casual" stuff sold by Vulpine etc.
    There's a good reason for that: If you can afford to dress in head-to-toe Vulpine, you probably don't need to work.

Or managed to get to the sale in London ;)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    That is XXL? FFS i need American size.

As has been said. the market is pretty niche. There is no way that anyone is cycling more than 5 miles without getting a bit of sweat on and that means getting changed at work. So Lycra makes sense for most people
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    J_MCD wrote:
    J_MCD wrote:

There you go

Rapha's usual range ( as opposed to Pro Team range) is definitely built for the more well built guy.

Even the Pro Team stuff is a shade too long for someone like me.

Castelli is one of the few ranges that fits me, so don't start faffing with that. There are plenty of companies who cater for bigger guys. Don't ruin the few options I have left.
  • hopkinb
    Castelli is one of the few ranges that fits me, so don't start faffing with that. There are plenty of companies who cater for bigger guys. Don't ruin the few options I have left.

No danger of that at the moment - I take a medium to large in most jerseys. I just got 2 XL jerseys from Castelli, having exchanged as there was no way I could do up the zip in a L. I can do up the zip on the XL, but it ain't a pretty sight, might have to lay off the beer for a fortnight. :oops:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    woah now lets not be too hasty what has the beer done other than bring joy & happiness
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hopkinb
    itboffin wrote:
    woah now lets not be too hasty what has the beer done other than bring joy & happiness
    Brought me both of those, but what with the snacks and all, I could lose a few kilos, fit into my summer gear...
  • j_mcd
    hopkinb wrote:

No danger of that at the moment - I take a medium to large in most jerseys. I just got 2 XL jerseys from Castelli, having exchanged as there was no way I could do up the zip in a L. I can do up the zip on the XL, but it ain't a pretty sight, might have to lay off the beer for a fortnight. :oops:

Admittedly I've never tried on any Rapha stuff as I normally see it worn by super thin guys and it's a little pricey. Castelli is different, I'm certainly nowhere near the 45" chest end of the market but their sizing is just a little odd. My winter tights are Castelli XL and fit perfectly, my boil in the bag jacket is an XL and fits fine but their jerseys are just too snug and, if I'm honest, it's just too depressing to but any clothes bigger than an XXL...