Advice on buying a New MTB

chirpy9336
chirpy9336 Posts: 4
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, thought of sharing a problem that I cannot solve by myself. I am buying my third MTB, my first was a 26" Bianchi, my second was a Focus Raven 29r 3.0 and now I am stuck as I cannot make up my mind between the Focus Raven 29r lite 2017 and the Trek Procaliber 9.7 2x 2017. I am looking forward for any suggestions that might guide me to choose between the two. Thanks appreciate your comments! :D

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    why are you buying this new bike? what do you want it to do. bikes need a purpose, that is probaby why you cant make up your mind.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links to the bikes you are looking at helps.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • why are you buying this new bike? what do you want it to do. bikes need a purpose, that is probaby why you cant make up your mind.

To reply "thecycleclinic", well I am buying this new bike as I sold my other bikes, and I am planning to upgrade to a better bike. The purpose for buying either of these two bikes is to enjoy rides in the country side, to keep healthy and most of all as I cannot live without riding a bike. My real problem to take a pick is as I like both bikes, but cannot afford to have them both.

I was thinking to seek for pro advise, that's why I joined this forum. Any suggestions which bike I should choose?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Well you were asked what you are going to do with this bike, ie trail centers, bridlepaths and some links.

Then we might be able to tell if you are buying a pile of crock for what you want it for, for me I wouldn't buy either as I have no use for them.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • GmA48
    GmA48 Posts: 1
    You seem to have attracted a number of unhelpful and negative replies to your very reasonable post, so here is one way of helping you home in on what might suit you best.

Make a comprehensive (the more you have the better the result) list of all the specifications and requirements that are important to you and for each bike identify how many items on the list are met. You can go a stage further and give each item a ranking and then see how many items in each rank are met.

Items could be :-
    Price
    Wheel size
    Frame weight
    Frame material
    Chainset
    Groupset
    Fork travel
    Etc
    Etc

If you do this in a spreadsheet you can assign points to each item and then add up the points to give you a winner.

One important point on the list should be the result of reviews carried out by reputable sources such as the bike magazines and not by the vendors themselves.

I hope this helps you in your quest for the most suitable bike for your needs.
  • You mentioned that you have already used two bikes which are 26'' Bianchi & Focus Raven 29r 3.0. And now you have planned to buy another one. When you buy a bike you have to pay attention to the accessories which are Wheel size, Frame weight, height of the bike, Fork travel etc. Also you have to pay attention to your budget.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Accessories? Inigo Montoya might say "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    GmA48 wrote:

Price
    Wheel size
    Frame weight
    Frame material
    Chainset
    Groupset
    Fork travel
    Etc
    Etc

If you do this in a spreadsheet you can assign points to each item and then add up the points to give you a winner.
    Hogwash, as even that convoluted and meaningless method won't give you the right bike for a type of riding.

Fork travel is much less important than the quality of its parts in terms of damping etc

Really you haven't a clue I think?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • GmA48 wrote:
    You seem to have attracted a number of unhelpful and negative replies to your very reasonable post, so here is one way of helping you home in on what might suit you best.

Make a comprehensive (the more you have the better the result) list of all the specifications and requirements that are important to you and for each bike identify how many items on the list are met. You can go a stage further and give each item a ranking and then see how many items in each rank are met.

Price
    Wheel size
    Frame weight
    Frame material
    Chainset
    Groupset
    Fork travel
    Etc
    Etc

One important point on the list should be the result of reviews carried out by reputable sources such as the bike magazines and not by the vendors themselves.

I hope this helps you in your quest for the most suitable bike for your needs.

Thanks mate, found your reply very helpful :-)
  • The Rookie
    Then you'll end up with a hardtail XC bike as that will always have better components at the same price point, be pretty rubbish for enduro riding though.

Its easy to compare bikes of the same type without that convoluted madness, but first decide on what you want the bike to do.