New here...just started getting more serious

longhuntr74
longhuntr74 Posts: 4
edited March 2017 in Road beginners
Hi all...making this first post mostly as an introduction.

I moved to Germany two years ago and one of my first major investments was a hybrid mountain/touring bike (a Stevens 6X SX). I have generally liked it...though at times I've felt like it's neither fish nor foul and wished I'd looked at a road bike or cyclocross bike instead. Recently, however, I've decided that it generally suits my riding habits / needs rather well. I commute back and forth to work 2-4 days per week (4.5 miles to work...usually 5+ on the way home). I also like to do longer rides (12-25 miles for now, though I'd like to stretch that) on nice weekends. My riding surfaces have been primarily pavement (though not necessarily SMOOTH) and bike trails. I've done some forest trail riding as well, but usually only when it's dry. I just fitted a new set of SKS Primus fenders on the bike (was not a fan of the Hebie ones I had installed when I bought it) and plan to swap out my Schwalbe Smart Sam tires (700x40) for a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Cross (700x38) tires. The Marathon Cross tires seem to have better road abilities with minimal detriment to off-road abilities. I think I will eventually install a rear rack and panniers to transform it into a true touring bike, but I don't think I'll do that until I get something lighter for longer road rides (or maybe a CX...I really do like riding dirt trails).

Thoughts? Any advice? Any other recreational riders / commuters out there?

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    My 1st bike was very similar to yours, (ghost panamao x4) i did tough rides with it up to 90km with elevation more than 1000m, and it was very good, no complains at all. Then i bought my road bike so ghost became my off road and commuting bike. After i had a fall on a trail i said enough is enough, since i had already a road bike i wanted a pure off road bike, and ive sold it to replace it with felt 7 thirty (cross country 27.5)

In sum up, you have a great 1st bike that will give you a taste of everything, but is doing nothing particularly well. For the distances that you are doing you dont need anything better, its perfect bike, but if you want something more and saying more i mean either distances like 60-100km or more either cross country trails you will need a new bike. You cant get it away with one bike unfortunately

Now as far as about the tires i really loved land cruiser, not bad on road, very decent of road.
  • n+1 rule invoked
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • n+1 rule invoked

I'm assuming (hoping) this is an attempt at humor...you'll need to explain the joke to me...or the rule.
  • YiannisM wrote:
    My 1st bike was very similar to yours, (ghost panamao x4) i did tough rides with it up to 90km with elevation more than 1000m, and it was very good, no complains at all. Then i bought my road bike so ghost became my off road and commuting bike. After i had a fall on a trail i said enough is enough, since i had already a road bike i wanted a pure off road bike, and ive sold it to replace it with felt 7 thirty (cross country 27.5)

In sum up, you have a great 1st bike that will give you a taste of everything, but is doing nothing particularly well. For the distances that you are doing you dont need anything better, its perfect bike, but if you want something more and saying more i mean either distances like 60-100km or more either cross country trails you will need a new bike. You cant get it away with one bike unfortunately

Now as far as about the tires i really loved land cruiser, not bad on road, very decent of road.

Yup...I've definitely gone through the same mental math that you did. Thanks for the response!

Also...regarding trails and commuting...those are the two things I find most at odds with each other truthfully. Fenders are great for touring/commuting...but they lack the clearance for trail debris/rocks sometimes...not to mention they rattle as the bike shakes down the trail. I know I could have put some more "mountain bike" styled fenders on instead...but they really don't fit the purpose of keeping all the slop off you...they just keep you from having a face full and the famed brown streak up your but and back. So at any rate...my bike has performed GREAT on roads...but I just wanted to give it a bit of a better tire without losing my ability to rides some maintained wooded trails now and then (less than 20% of my riding).
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    YiannisM wrote:

Yup...I've definitely gone through the same mental math that you did. Thanks for the response!

Also...regarding trails and commuting...those are the two things I find most at odds with each other truthfully. Fenders are great for touring/commuting...but they lack the clearance for trail debris/rocks sometimes...not to mention they rattle as the bike shakes down the trail. I know I could have put some more "mountain bike" styled fenders on instead...but they really don't fit the purpose of keeping all the slop off you...they just keep you from having a face full and the famed brown streak up your but and back. So at any rate...my bike has performed GREAT on roads...but I just wanted to give it a bit of a better tire without losing my ability to rides some maintained wooded trails now and then (less than 20% of my riding).

Then schwalbe land cruiser is good option, but given the shitty fork that you have dont expect much off road. Now as far as about the fenders i cant really give you a good advice since i live in a shiny country (Cyprus) and i never really felt the need to install them on my bikes.
  • n+1 rule invoked

I'm assuming (hoping) this is an attempt at humor...you'll need to explain the joke to me...or the rule.

Yes it was a joke, see below said rule

Rule #12 The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™