Brake Pad Replacement

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hi

I am wondering if you can recommend replacement brake pads to fit a Bianchi Oltre (Campag Group set) and a pair of Fast Forward F6C Clincher Road Wheelsets?

I have been advised by wiggle online chat that these are a good substitute but thought I would see if there are any other options

Swissstop Flash Evo BXP Alloy Rim Brake Pads (Wiggle Site)

Thanks

Comments

• If they have an alloy brake rim, then yes they are fine. However if carbon then you'll need either swissstop black prince or yellow kings.
  • Koolstop salmon get my vote
  • Koolstop salmon get my vote for Al rims carbon is a mystery to me!
  • KevinA
    Yes, just double checked with the spec and they are alloy.

Will check the ones mentioned out

Thanks
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    KevinA wrote:
    Hi

I am wondering if you can recommend replacement brake pads to fit a Bianchi Oltre (Campag Group set) and a pair of Fast Forward F6C Clincher Road Wheelsets?

I have been advised by wiggle online chat that these are a good substitute but thought I would see if there are any other options

Swissstop Flash Evo BXP Alloy Rim Brake Pads (Wiggle Site)

Thanks

I've just replaced a set of worn Swisstop Blue pads with these from Wiggle...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essent ... pack-of-4/

I can detect no difference whatsoever in wet or dry between them and the Swisstop, and they are a tenth of the price.
  • KevinA
    Going to get the swisstop ones as they seem to be the most popular and havent read any bad reviews.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    KevinA wrote:
    Going to get the swisstop ones as they seem to be the most popular and havent read any bad reviews.

I wouldn't, up to you of course. Get the Wiggle ones, and keep £17 in your pocket.

I've bought many sets of Swisstop, green and blue, and the Wiggle ones are just as good.
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    When you replace something old and worn for something new it's always a lot better. I think this plays a part in people believing 'upgraded' parts are better than they actually are.

I would like to see a scientific review (does one exist?) that compares performance of different pads. Wouldn't be that hard to setup a fairly reliable experiment.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I took a punt on the wiggle blue carbon pads too and they are way better than the swisstop yellow pads they replaced, for a fraction of the price. Just read that yours are for aluminium rims but again, for under 3 quid you may as well give them a go.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    noodleman wrote:
    I took a punt on the wiggle blue carbon pads too and they are way better than the swisstop yellow pads they replaced, for a fraction of the price. Just read that yours are for aluminium rims but again, for under 3 quid you may as well give them a go.
    I have used the green Swissstop Gxp on my bike with the Mavic Ky elite rims for the summer, I found the pads to be average, on my winter wheels ( Fulcrum 55) I have Shimano R55 C4 or C3. In the wet it is like having ABS brakes, dont be in any hurry to stop which is a little bit daunting. If a person was going to use the blue BXP, what is the difference between the flash evo and the flash pro ?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    sextoke1 wrote:
    noodleman wrote:
    I have used the green Swissstop Gxp on my bike with the Mavic Ky elite rims for the summer, I found the pads to be average, on my winter wheels ( Fulcrum 55) I have Shimano R55 C4 or C3. In the wet it is like having ABS brakes, dont be in any hurry to stop which is a little bit daunting. If a person was going to use the blue BXP, what is the difference between the flash evo and the flash pro ?

Compound appears to be the same, pad design is different though. Read the PDF file for more info.
    http://www.swissstop.com/tech/compounds/bxp/
  • I too have reached the conclusion that Swissstop are overpriced and overrated. The Lifeline carbon are superb and I'll be giving the alloys a try next time I need a set.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I've just bought some BBB from Merlin (I couldn't face being let down by CrC's utterly appalling delivery times anymore) -£9 for 4, seem to get good reviews, I'll report back.

Have also given up on Swissstop as their Black Prince aren't very good and overall they are v v expensive.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    I've just bought some BBB from Merlin (I couldn't face being let down by CrC's utterly appalling delivery times anymore) -£9 for 4, seem to get good reviews, I'll report back.

Have also given up on Swissstop as their Black Prince aren't very good and overall they are v v expensive.
    ... I was told the Swiss stop GHP green was the business, but I never felt the wow factor with them. I might try the lifeline, the next time I have an order for wiggle.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    sextoke1 wrote:

... I was told the Swiss stop GHP green was the business, but I never felt the wow factor with them. I might try the lifeline, the next time I have an order for wiggle.

Wiggle Lifeline carbon pads are superb; no squeals, no gripping, no marks on the rims, great in the wet... and 4 for less than a fiver.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    BBB have arrived from Merlin (ord red Sat morning, arrived today. Soooo. Ugh better than CRC who are utterly rubbish now).

Really nicely packaged and made, fitted into Ultegra shoes with no problems at all.

Initial braking from a 10/15 mph trundle is nice and positive: much better than Swisssstop black Prince. I'll ride to work on it on Wednesday and report back, but so far for £9.99 seem to be very good value.

I may post a piccie of them on my Cervelo. Then again, I probably won't.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.