Carrera Luna 20"

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
spied one in Halfords today for my 7yo daughter.

I'm happy with the weight, gripshift and overall quality; easy to work on too by the looks of it. Only thing that slightly puts me off is front sus rigid would be better for a kid surely?

I'm going to ty and pick a used one up but wondering if there's anything else I should consider in the same price bracket (new £215, used sub £100)?

thanks

Comments

• natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    It weighs 13.5kg compared to a Frog 20" at 8.7kg or a Hoy Bonaloy 20" at 8kg, or a Wiggins Chartres 20" at 8.8kg. Your 7 year old daughter is probbaly too light to make the suspension forks and most children struggle with gripshift. I'd definitely be looking elsewhere.........
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • natrix wrote:
    It weighs 13.5kg compared to a Frog 20" at 8.7kg or a Hoy Bonaloy 20" at 8kg, or a Wiggins Chartres 20" at 8.8kg. Your 7 year old daughter is probbaly too light to make the suspension forks and most children struggle with gripshift. I'd definitely be looking elsewhere.........

Thanks.

No wonder they don't quote the weight, its 2kg heavier than my MTB :lol:

would prefer a rigid fork TBH, don't know if I could stretch to a frog or alike (I know they're going to hold value but she'll only have if for a year or two tops); hoping to look at a Giant that's advertised on here.

I'll se how she goes on the grip shift but geras are the way forward at 7, suppose I could always swap it out for a thumb lever?
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    natrix wrote:

Thanks.

would prefer a rigid fork TBH, don't know if I could stretch to a frog or alike (I know they're going to hold value but she'll only have if for a year or two tops); hoping to look at a Giant that's advertised on here.

I'll se how she goes on the grip shift but geras are the way forward at 7, suppose I could always swap it out for a thumb lever?
    Changing levers is spare change at that level (£10 or so) so don't buy due to shifters...

I'd advise not to do what I did ... :D though it could have been worse and spend a lot on something that in the end lasted 9 months.... then he was onto 24"

Don't know where you are but I have an Evans Pinnacle Ash in the shed in Woking, 9 months of use and unused since he went 24"... also has an extra back wheel that can be swapped over... a few bits like spare freewheels in different sizes and grip/trigger shifters...open to reasonable offers as I keep meaning to ebay it.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-as ... e-EV180825

Weight 20.8lbs/9.3 kg slightly more than Isla but not really much and a lot lighter than Carrerra.
  • Steve-XcT wrote:
    natrix wrote:

Thanks.

Changing levers is spare change at that level (£10 or so) so don't buy due to shifters...

I'd advise not to do what I did ... :D though it could have been worse and spend a lot on something that in the end lasted 9 months.... then he was onto 24"

Don't know where you are but I have an Evans Pinnacle Ash in the shed in Woking, 9 months of use and unused since he went 24"... also has an extra back wheel that can be swapped over... a few bits like spare freewheels in different sizes and grip/trigger shifters...open to reasonable offers as I keep meaning to ebay it.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-as ... e-EV180825

Weight 20.8lbs/9.3 kg slightly more than Isla but not really much and a lot lighter than Carrerra.

I'm in Staffordshire but regularly travel through work; you?

Could be interested....
  • Think I'm sorted now steve xtc but thanks all the same.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    Think I'm sorted now steve xtc but thanks all the same.

No probs... at the moment it's just taking up space ... but no other reason to sell ...

Sorry I didn't get back my work travel ended up being extensive since I posted ... and literally only been in the UK two Sundays since I posted :( and those have been pretty much out riding ...

Would have been a big trip down to Woking from Staffs anyway....