Recommendations for a coffee machine

pan280
pan280 Posts: 88
edited March 2017 in The cake stop
Our Nespresso machine finally stopped working and i am looking to replace it with something better.
The coffee from Nespresso was average and i am hoping to improve my mornings with a bean to cup espresso machine.
Only needs to make espresso, not lattes etc, budget is around 200-300GBP.
Any recommendations?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Moka pot

varying sizes, varying colours, all well within budget.

Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Have you used a bean-to-cup before? I used to work for Philips that make Saeco/Gaggia and bought a Saeco machine. They're very complex and, unless you're making lots of coffee throughout the day, they're probably not worth the hassle - they flush water on start-up and shut-down which you need to empty. They need regular cleaning and emptying and the killer for me is that I couldn't get my go-to Illy coffee to taste right. Besides that, due to their complexity, bean-to-cup aren't very reliable. I now use a Nespresso for my convenience needs (and a manual Gaggia for more fussy needs).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pan280
    My last workplace used to have one, but I didn't worry about its maintenance.
    I used to have a manual espresso machine but it can bit a bit tricky to get the coffee just right, and it was messy.
    So I thought bean to cup would be simpler, maybe not?
  • meanredspider
    pan280 wrote:
    So I thought bean to cup would be simpler, maybe not?

Bit simpler than manual but I didn't think the taste benefit over Nespresso (and the zillions of pods available now) was worth it. I don't think there's a shortcut to a properly good cup of coffee. And a lot of people who think they make a good coffee manually simply don't.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Moka pot or Aero Press.

I think that to really benefit from a machine you need to spend a fair bit of money and time.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Aero press is ok for emergencies ...but you can get the De Longhi single espresso machine for £60 which does a competent job...but falls away because it cannot create the super pressures of the machines that cost above the £400 level.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use an illy capsule machine as it is easy to use and produces coffee I like the taste of. Only bought it as a local café does illy coffee and I preferred it.
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    Go for a Bialletti Moka pot.....
    Some words of advice( Blind leading the blind)!
    Only get a Bialletti don't be seduced by the cheaper imitations. They just don't work as well.
    Think carefully what size you want, I have in the past made the mistake of getting one to big.
    The coffee produced by the pot is strong espresso insert "very" in there, not to every ones taste can be diluted for those with more delicate taste buds.
    I have two at the moment, a 2 cup and a 3 cup for me that combination works.
    Enjoy
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Saeco (let's at least pretend it's a bike forum) …
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Only get a Bialletti don't be seduced by the cheaper imitations. They just don't work as well.
    Think carefully what size you want, I have in the past made the mistake of getting one to big.
    The coffee produced by the pot is strong espresso insert "very" in there, not to every ones taste can be diluted for those with more delicate taste buds.
    Enjoy

Sage advice that. Anything else I've tried has been shite, most of them leaked.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    type:epyt wrote:

http://www.faema.com/products/traditional-machines/e61

This Faema makes rather nice coffee.

Yours for the price of a decent bike.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I've a cheap Ikea stove top coffee pot. Makes great espresso. Always pre heat bottom with hot water and fill with boiling water from kettle. Quick, easy and cheap. Makes very strong coffee. Dilute with boiling water for an Americano. Neat for those "productive" days. I'd never use a capsule system due to their really bad environmental impact.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    type:epyt wrote:

http://www.faema.com/products/traditional-machines/e61

This Faema makes rather nice coffee.

Yours for the price of a decent bike.

I prefer this one
    http://www.bezzera.it/index.php?option= ... 66&lang=en
    but rather OT, I use an aero press and buy a cup of coffee from my favourite coffee shop as required.
  • De longi , Magnifica seam 2600. Does a good job , usually £270 ish.
    You can adjust for strength and grind level.
  • Matthewfalle
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    I've a cheap Ikea stove top coffee pot. Makes great espresso. Always pre heat bottom with hot water and fill with boiling water from kettle. Quick, easy and cheap. Makes very strong coffee. Dilute with boiling water for an Americano. Neat for those "productive" days. I'd never use a capsule system due to their really bad environmental impact.

I'd never use capsule system because the coffee isn't as nice as a Mika pot and the capsules cost a billion pounds.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Enjoy

You can never have a moka pot that is too big. That is an utterly incorrect view. Sorry.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    Bialetti stove top.

If you want good coffee, buy good coffee to put in it.

s-l400.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    I've got one of these. It rocks.

https://www.google.je/search?q=bialetti ... wI986ieCGM:

I also have one of these. It too rocks.

https://www.google.je/search?q=pink+bia ... E2l5vnqNOM:

And one of these for when I am away from my stove stuck in some garratt somewhere

https://www.google.je/search?q=electric ... GabveNFPcM:

I like coffee, you see.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Coffee Beans/Bean Grinder/Kettle/Cafetiere/Mini Whisk (for frothy milk).
    Still in search of the perfect cup of coffee.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Matthewfalle
    Mr Goo wrote:

Milk?

FFS.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meanredspider
    Mr Goo wrote:

Milk?

FFS.....

Kettle and cafetière and you focus on the milk...... :roll:
  • Stove top aluminium pot for me as well.

Bought in France about 20 years ago, well travelled and well seasoned
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Find decent beans, grind beans with hand grinder, put ground beans into pan of freshly boiled water, allow to sit for appropriate length of time, poor into mug. Quite simple but untrendy as the only fancy bit of kit required is a proper grinder.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Mr Goo wrote:

Milk?

FFS.....

Kettle and cafetière and you focus on the milk...... :roll:
    Exactly, first 2 steps were fine then it all went horribly wrong. But each to their own, some people like coffee flavoured milk shake.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I recommend any of my setup :-

izzo vivi mk 2
    La pavoni europiccola
    Elektra micro casa a leva
    La cimballi Microcimballi
    Various French press, Aeropress and CCD

Gene Café 101 coffee roaster
    11kg green unroasted beans
    subscription to #sssss

Macap mdx, mc4 and a Lido E

really you just need a grinder, a container, water and GOOD QUALITY FRESH ROASTED BEANS. you don't even need heat .... cold brew !!!
  • rick_chasey
    Mr Goo wrote:

Milk?

FFS.....

There are certainly different tribes of coffee snob - different generation if you will.

I come from a snob group where anything that isn't like italian coffee is sh!te, so anyone who thinks a cappucino is a litre of milk with some coffee is a moron, and anyone who likes what acrid, acidic, nasty coffee the Aussie/Kiwi "baristas" sell as "real coffee" doesn't get it.

Doubly so if they put chocolate powder on it.

So I'd be arguing to make a coffee without milk in the morning is to not get it :P.

(though therefore, I wouldn't get a machine where I can't steam the milk).
  • rick_chasey
    Basically, if your kit isn't compliant with this, it's not good enough.

http://www.espressoitaliano.org/files/F ... _hq_en.pdf
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I come from a snob group where anything that isn't like italian coffee is sh!te,
    That's me. :mrgreen:
    But, each to their own as in my earlier post. I used to think I didn't like coffee then I realised it's just that I don't like long coffee flavoured drinks, or coffee flavoured anything. The only coffee I drink is espresso, although corretto is acceptable. With the rise of Starbucks and the American style coffees along with my becoming more of a curmudgeonly old git I enjoy winding people up about some of the more absurd coffee based drinks.
  • pan280
    So i managed to crash during the sprint in the last lap (4th cat problems!).
    I need a new helmet and rebuild my front wheel, not sure about the frame either.
    So coffee budget has been adjusted!

These bialetti espresso makers look interesting.
    I am thinking of getting the one that makes 6 cups.
    Any recomendations for coffee beans that taste good with this sort of process?
    I have a grinder, do you use a fine or a coarse blend?

Even though i don't like milk or sugar in my coffee, this site seems to suggest that milk is ok, but sugar+cream is not.

http://www.healthyfellow.com/607/coffee-milk-controversy/
  • rick_chasey
    pan280 wrote:
    So i managed to crash during the sprint in the last lap (4th cat problems!).
    I need a new helmet and rebuild my front wheel, not sure about the frame either.
    So coffee budget has been adjusted!

These bialetti espresso makers look interesting.
    I am thinking of getting the one that makes 6 cups.
    Any recomendations for coffee beans that taste good with this sort of process?
    I have a grinder, do you use a fine or a coarse blend?

Even though i don't like milk or sugar in my coffee, this site seems to suggest that milk is ok, but sugar+cream is not.

http://www.healthyfellow.com/607/coffee-milk-controversy/

Lavazza is cheap enough and readily available.