problem building 105 cassette

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Putting a 10 speed cassette on to a 11 speed hub and following the instruction drawing, it shows a spacer at each end. However there is only 1 in the box

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/CS/EV-CS-5700-3016_v1_m56577569830703168.pdf

Now, as it happens the hub is an 11 speed so I bought a spacer as advised by Chainreaction. Fitted that followed by cassette gears. I put the last ring on the 11 tooth followed but the spacer. Its diameter is really big though.. I put the lock nut put it into the bike. The chain bottoms out against the spacer.
Could any one explain? Should I bin the spacer?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Yes bin the spacer. Is it the (2) on the diagram ? Do you mean big as in thickness ? That should not be there at all if so.

That btw in the diagram is not a spacer as such. But a very thin bendable washer. It helps keep the cassette lockring tight but its not absolutely necessary. That thin washer may be already installed on your lockring. Most are.

The only spacer you should fit is 1.8mm behind the cassette.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    trailflow wrote:

The only spacer you should fit is 1.8mm behind the cassette.

This.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    Is it the (2) on the diagram ? Do you mean big as in thickness
    Yes. Big as in diameter. It holds the chain off. What a terrible piece of engineering. It might be ok for a 12t, but not 11t. I would have designed a smaller diameter and made it from spring steel.
    Yes bin the spacer.
    Today's task. Thank you.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The above advice is incorrect: If you are fitting a 105 5700 cassette on an 11sp freehub you should use both the 1.85 mm spacer supplied with the wheel AND the 1mm spacer supplied with the cassette. Both go on the freehub first before you fit the sprockets. The lock-ring, with it's thin shim, abuts against the 11 tooth sprocket.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I can't see how a spacer after the last sprocket would ever work. Spacers always go against the wheel side ime
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The two posts above are correct...two spacers for this combo and always put spacers on first, next to the spokey dokey ;-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    I can't see how a spacer after the last sprocket would ever work. Spacers always go against the wheel side ime

Same as it would with the spacer on the inside. All they are doing is stopping the cassette from moving from side to side on the freehub so from a functional perspective, the placement of the spacers only alters the alignment of the cassette slightly. But unless there are frame clearance issues (which might be the case on a steel frame) it's hard to see why you'd want to put a spacer on the outside (which is actually why I have done just this in the past!).
    Faster than a tent.......