Sizing advice

Archigram
Archigram Posts: 4
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at a specific bike that meets my needs and my budget. I'm buying it online although I'm sure the vast majority of people here will suggest going to a bike shop and try out different sizes etc, to get the perfect bike and perfect fit. I'd love to, but honestly the only bike shop around here only sells bikes that are out of my budget. And I want something that's at least a small step above something I'd find at Walmart.

So anyway, my question is about sizing. I'm 6'-2" and my cycling inseam is 34"

here are the specs for the two sizes of this specific bike that I'm in between (it has 29" tires if it makes a difference):

I can't figure out how to make columns, so I put the 19" bike's stats in bold, and the 17.5" is the normal size type.

Seat tube (Center to Top) 17.5” 19"
Effective Top Tube (Center to Center) 24.3” 25”
Top Tube (Center to Center) 23.2” 23.8”
Chainstay (Center to Center) 460mm 460mm
Bottom Bracket Drop 53mm 53mm
Seat Tube Angle 72.3° 72°
Head Tube Angle 70° 70°
Wheel Base (Center to Center) 1129mm 1141.1mm
Standover Height 32.4" 33.8”

I contacted the company and they recommended the 19" version. However that standover height just bugs me a little bit. .2" below my pubic bone is definitely going to catch my pants and other sensitive areas. But are the other bike's dimensions probably too small? I always used to like smaller bikes, but I don't really want to be too hunched over or have problems with my knees and/or feet getting in the way of anything.

I realize everyone's dimensions are slightly different, and it's somewhat personal preference, and I'll never really know unless I could try both sizes first, but I feel like some advice would still be helpful. I guess I'm leaning towards the 19" bike anyway but wanted to hear people's thoughts on if they thought the other bike would be TOO small, not just a little smaller than normal.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Standover height is irrelevant, and at that height you need a big frame. Length is probably more important than height, which can be easily adjusted within reason.

But put simply, I'm about 5'10" and generally fit medium frames - about 17.5" to 19". My current bike, a 29er is a 17.5" frame, and I can't even balance upright with one toe on the ground whilst in the saddle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hahaha okay fair enough. I guess that was a concern that was left over from when I was a kid and may or may not have smashed my nuts more than once......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As someone who has short legs and (therefore) a long torso for my height I have to have larger (longer) frames to get the right riding position, that frequently means negative standover, often by an inch or more but I'd rather be comfy for the hours in the saddle than the minutes standing over the bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • good point, thanks! guess I'll go with the 19"