Tufo tub tape on non Tufo tubs?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Has any body used this on non Tufo tubs? They advise against it. I normally use glue but thought Id try tape and I already have Vittoria and Continental tubs.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pretty sure I have. It's only tape. No dramas for me.
  • Ive even used the alloy only tape on carbon rims. Haven't died yet.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes - it's fine. It's tape. They are tubs.

And yes - it holds them on as well as glue and is a gazillion times more efficient and easier to use than glue.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • on-yer-bike
    They say its due to the fact that their tubs dont have a seam in the glue area. How hard is the tape to remove from the rim?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Matthewfalle
    It peels off like double sided sticky tape. But thicker and stickier. Generally when you take an old tub off it's on the tub.

It'll be fine - the tape and the pressure of the tub hold it on.

If you don't want it send it to me - I'm more than happy to use it on my Continentals. Have done so for years and as per SS above have not had a dose of dead disease or Ebolaids yet.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • on-yer-bike
    It peels off like double sided sticky tape. But thicker and stickier. Generally when you take an old tub off it's on the tub.

It'll be fine - the tape and the pressure of the tub hold it on.

If you don't want it send it to me - I'm more than happy to use it on my Continentals. Have done so for years and as per SS above have not had a dose of dead disease or Ebolaids yet.
    I havent bought it yet! Ill give it go, thanks.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Matthewfalle
    Coolio. Jantex is very good as well as comes without the Tufo warning. Either way, they are both soooo much better than glue.

Any probs re fitting please shout but essentially clean rim, fit tape to rim, undo a couple of inches of the backing, fit tub leaving "tongue" of backing over the edge. Pull up tyre as you unravel the backing until you are finished.

You can either pull up the tyre by hand or roll a pencil underneath. Simples though. Should take 5 minutes.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Glue haters. Glue is udeful because at the road side if you puncture your pre glued spare tub will bond well to the glue left on the rim when the old tyre is taken off. tape does make for a secure bond but removing at the tub at the road side can be difficult and there is not always tape left on every part of the rim meaning the spare is not properly fixed. The preglued tub will bond to tape but it will not bond to no tape. also tape has brought up carbon fibres on the carbon wheels before. Glue has never done that.

Overall the time spent gluing a tub up is time saved at the side of the road. If you use tubs for general riding then use glue. If you only race on them tape is fine as your not going to change a tub or even have a spare in a race.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    pretaped tub in your back pocket will solve this acute dilemma.

Glue is dead. Long live sticky backed sellotape for holding your tires on.

We don't hate glue, it's just massively inefficient.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I agree about glue being a pain in the arse and I always use tape but how do you have a pre-taped run in your back pocket? If it's been previously taped it'll either have no backing on it, making it stick to itself and pick up all sorts of crap or you'll have to of stuck the tape to the tub rather than the rim which would be far from ideal.
    Not saying this won't work to a degree but surely carrying a spare tub and a rim's worth of tape is a better solution.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Matthewfalle
    noodleman wrote:
    I agree about glue being a pain in the ars* and I always use tape but how do you have a pre-taped run in your back pocket? If it's been previously taped it'll either have no backing on it, making it stick to itself and pick up all sorts of crap or you'll have to of stuck the tape to the tub rather than the rim which would be far from ideal.
    Not saying this won't work to a degree but surely carrying a spare tub and a rim's worth of tape is a better solution.

You can fold it round so the tape/cack interface is minimal as I compleoreily agree your with your point. Carrying the tape is also a very good option as it weighs nothing and takes up no space whatsoever.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.