Parliament Square - Gunfire

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited March 2017 in Commuting chat
Gunfire reported outside Parliament. Start planning your alternate route home folks.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    On which note - what would be a decent way to avoid that whole area if you're the usual Embankment from Blackfriars > Chelsea embankment rider?

Any suggestions guys?
  • asprilla
    I'd head south of the river to Putney. Whatever route you take it' not going to be quick today.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    south but very south away from the bridges
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    That's gonna cause some hefty traffic, 5 people have been run over but the attacker prior to being shot.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I'm going to attempt Blackfriars, Aldwych, Traf Sq, Mall, Buck Pal, Kings Rd, Putney
    unless anyone knows that's also cordoned-off
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • asprilla
    Grant2307 wrote:
    That's gonna cause some hefty traffic, 5 people have been run over but the attacker prior to being shot.

He ran them over and then shot them? Thorough.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rick_chasey
    rower63 wrote:
    I'm going to attempt Blackfriars, Aldwych, Traf Sq, Mall, Buck Pal, Kings Rd, Putney

Traf Sq is cordoned off.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Tube it is... all of my potential routes are cut off.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Tube might be getting shut down as a precaution.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Only westminster station closed thus far.
  • asprilla
    Can you take your bike on the river bus or clipper? They serve beer on those too don't they....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Jal_
    Jal_ Posts: 49
    Asprilla wrote:
    Can you take your bike on the river bus or clipper? They serve beer on those too don't they....

This was my secret plan to get home.
  • rower63
    rower63 wrote:
    Traf Sq is cordoned off.
    In that case St Paul's, Holborn, Shaftesbury Ave, Piccadilly, Grosvenor Place, Sloane Sq, King's Road, Putney etc,
    and I'll be ditching my cycling shoes and donning trainers in case there's any significant walking to be done...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I would just head north to Euston Road then go all the way down to near Edgeware Rd, down through Notting Hill, down through Shep Bush (there is a cut through via Holland Park, look at my commute on Monday night to see that), over Hammersmith Bridge and off you go. Actually my commute Monday night is the whole route basically.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Asprilla wrote:

those have been shutdown as well

just heard on the news that the police officer has died as well, fuck!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    From Blackfriars Bridge I would go via Elephant and Castle, Oval, A3 to Wandsworth/Putney/Richmond Park.

It's not a lovely route but it should be far enough south to be free of closures, and it has bus/cycle lanes wich should help with making progress through the heay traffic.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I went Waterloo, Vauxhall, Clapham, Wandsworth to get to Fulham.

Utter chaos around Waterloo - Vauxhall.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's really sad what's happened. Good luck getting home folks. Be safe.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Bank > St Pauls > Holborn > Piccadilly Circus. Almost smooth sailing that way. Was even surprised how easy that was.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not ventured home yet -- still sounds hectic out there, so will check out Vino's route /\/\.

Not a good day.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:
    Not ventured home yet -- still sounds hectic out there, so will check out Vino's route /\/\.

Not a good day.

Vauxhall Bridge is open already so you might be OK.

Feel free to check my route out on strava too.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Was chaos all the way down Kings Road from Sloane Sq until Wandsworth Bridge Rd.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Left shortly after 9.30. Cyclists were allowed up The Mall, so headed up there, towards Victoria, Eaton Square, Sloane Square and the King's Road.

The Mall was deserted, bar a couple of cyclists and pedestrians.

Read tonight that the Superhighway will be shut between Southwark and Westminster Bridges tomorrow. Best to check in the morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Stay safe people.

As someone who worked in SW1 for over ten years it feels like home.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rower63
    On coriordan's advice in the end I went south over Blackfriars, where it was less chaotic than I expected, I noodled about, slightly lost, until I recrossed at Vauxhall Bridge where normal service was resumed.

This morning I was in chat-convoy with iPete and a couple of others when we got diverted across Lambeth Bridge, held up in part by a huge lorry carrying large concrete bollards. Over the other side the traffic was bad, but only because a bus had stopped in the middle of the road, held up by a man lying in the road being attended by paramedics.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    I ended up going along the strand then down the Mall, and then back out onto Victoria embankment. Ended up being half a mile less distance, which surprised me. Slightly weird going down the Mall with no cars, and Buckingham Palace crawling with Police. This morning got to Millbank and ended up diverting north, then along to join the Mall at the end, then back down towards the river. Never seen so many Police and press/photographers around the area.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Anyone know if the area is back open now?
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/