My First Road Bike

aod43254
aod43254 Posts: 14
edited March 2017 in Your road bikes
I just bought my first road bike (honestly my first bike since high school), a Trek 1.5 (2011 w/ compact crank model I think). So far in the month I've owned it I've put about 68.36 Miles on it. Came with Michelin Pro3 Race Service Course tires.
17191203_10212051894792319_6305867711333706282_n.jpg?oh=5c45bfc75f46f1b99ec384456ba82c0b&oe=5938BFDD

Comments

• I always have a fondness for bikes I see with handlebars higher than the saddle.

Get out there and show them who's boss
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    You've put 'about' 68.36 miles on it?

Come on, you'll need to be more accurate than that around here or people might take the piss.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • aod43254
    aod43254 Posts: 14
    I always have a fondness for bikes I see with handlebars higher than the saddle.

Get out there and show them who's boss
    Is handlebars higher than the saddle unusual? I've pretty much left the bike as it was when I purchased it, the shop I took it by claimed saddle height appeared about right when they asked me to sit on it and see if I was able to reach the ground with feet, the only change they made was adjust the braking (I believe they loosened the brake levers)
    You've put 'about' 68.36 miles on it?

Come on, you'll need to be more accurate than that around here or people might take the wee-wee.
    I have no clue what "people might take the wee-wee." means, but as for the "about" that's mainly since I'm not sure how accurate the lg health app on my phone is and I simply added the distance it reported for each ride. (I'm assuming you're just teasing since I wrote it out to two decimal places I thought I'd still give the logic behind that choice and the use of the word about)
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    'The shop I took it by claimed saddle height appeared about right when they asked me to sit on it and see if I was able to reach the ground with feet,'

WOW , great bike shop ! that's how my mum used to measure me on bikes when i wanted a grifter :)
    just so you are aware seating on the saddle and being able to touch the ground is not how you measure for size on a road bike , hopefully someone will help you with this as you get to know other riders . i cannot sit on my saddle and touch the floor ,just about straddle the top tube although i am a short arse .
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,005
    Can we stop with the pi55 taking of the OP please, it's hardly constructive towards them on their first bike.
    limoneboy wrote:
    just so you are aware seating on the saddle and being able to touch the ground is not how you measure for size on a road bike , hopefully someone will help you with this as you get to know other riders .

But this is about right and there are loads of basic set up videos on youtube so have a look at thse and adjust accordingly.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Can we stop with the pi55 taking of the OP please, it's hardly constructive towards them on their first bike.
    limoneboy wrote:
    just so you are aware seating on the saddle and being able to touch the ground is not how you measure for size on a road bike , hopefully someone will help you with this as you get to know other riders .

But this is about right and there are loads of basic set up videos on youtube so have a look at thse and adjust accordingly.

Not PI%% taking the OP , the bike shop for setting the bike up this way , how would he know if its correct being new to the sport , OP do not take offence none is meant at you , i thought this was clear when advising to speak to like minded riders .

OH and you must be 2ft taller than me based on the saddle height and touching the floor , lucky you :)
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1