Tyres

trago1987
trago1987 Posts: 14
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
Sorry if this has been spoken about before, I am looking to purchase a set of tyres and I have been told so much Infomation about them I just wanted to see what you guys thought. At the moment I have the standard set that came with my specialized diverge. Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x28.

I have gotten on really well with these but having done 1700 miles on them it's time to change.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Have a search on the forum as there is plenty on tyres recent as well as old.
  • trago1987
    rs6mra1 wrote:
    Have a search on the forum as there is plenty on tyres recent as well as old.

Happy days cheers
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    So much choice with tyres. Depends on lots of factors such as rolling resitance, puncture resistance and how much you are willing to spend. This website might help.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Sworks Turbo are my go to at the moment
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I swear by my GP4000S for the best bike.

The winter bike has marathon plus tyres. Bombproof as I am happy to suffer performance losses for the almost guarantee of no punctures.

1700 miles doesn't sound like a huge amount of mileage though.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Trago1987 wrote:

I have gotten on really well with these but having done 1700 miles on them it's time to change.

As above - 1700 is not a lot of miles for a set of tyres. Are you sure?
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Another vote for Conti GP4000S2. If you live in rougher terrain try a Gatorskin or a four season on the back. Keep it 28mm fast and comfortable.
  • trago1987
    Yeah 1700 miles and they are looking pretty worn to me. I will upload a picture tomorrow and see what you think.

Cheers for all the replays though so far.
  • Have a look at Schwalbe Durano Double Defence. I used it on my road bike, I haven't used it for commuting properly yet, I think it can. Rides really nice so far. Sixty threads per inch, 28mm wide and a protection belt, which is what I need. Don't think you can go wrong! I don't want to go for Durano Plus as too much protection will mean slower acceleration and poorer riding experience. I strive for best of both worlds and I believe the double defence is the answer. I'll commute on the tyre properly one day and come back and share how it went. The only weakness of the tyre is since its 60 tpi, it'll be slower than any tyre that is 120 or 180 tpi but at least its got a longer lifespan.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I've been using Michelin pro4 endurance for 1 year now. Roll nicely and offer good protection / durability
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Using Conti Ultrapsort II on my commuter, very happy so far, good grip, like the ride (at 100psi - 700x28c), slow wearing (after 700 miles you can still see a small amount of the feathering on the front tyre between the two halves of the mould) and no punctures to date.

Rolling resistance test results and weight are both pretty good for a tyre with some puncture protection as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    The Rookie wrote:
    Using Conti Ultrapsort II on my commuter, very happy so far, good grip, like the ride (at 100psi - 700x28c), slow wearing (after 700 miles you can still see a small amount of the feathering on the front tyre between the two halves of the mould) and no punctures to date.

Rolling resistance test results and weight are both pretty good for a tyre with some puncture protection as well.

I use the same on my road bike (it came with them), on my 1st 2 rides i had a punctures, after than that and over 2000 km on them no more, and are still going, i am using 7.5 bars on the rear 7 on the front at 25mm. I consider them the best cheap tyre. My next will be GP ultra sport II