How long do seat pads last?

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited March 2017 in Road general
Evening all, i have 2 pairs of Castelli free aero race bibs, one pair is deffo under a year old i think the others are too (will have to dig out receipts to check)
But lately every time they are washed the pad ruffles up right in the middle and i cant seem to flatten it, even shoving a wooden spoon handle inside the hole at the rear of the pads doesnt seem to do much.
I have also noticed that part of the pad material on one pair is stitched into the seam of the leg, right about where i keep getting a reoccurring sore...
Not sure how long their are warrantied for either.

The pad is the progetto X2 air.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar.
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I would rivet a new pad in :wink:

Buy a new pair of shorts you tight git.
    How long have you had them/how many miles have they done?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • fudgey
    Under a year and about 4k miles between the 2 pairs.
    Quite skint at the mo too, got to shell out £500 on thursday for 4 tyres for the car... So no more bike clothes this month...
  • pinno
    Fudgey wrote:
    Under a year and about 4k miles between the 2 pairs.
    Quite skint at the mo too, got to shell out £500 on thursday for 4 tyres for the car... So no more bike clothes this month...

Bender the robot is having a massive sale at the mo down in classifieds. Why £500 on tyres?! Are they run flats?
    I have a pair of Bibs in M with plenty of life left in them, if you're interested.
  • fudgey
    Used a pair today for 40 miles and forgot to use, chamois cream, i didnt die and my arse still seems intact so maybe once on they stretch out flat?
    Either way, ill make do for now cheers.
    Oh, and big wheels!
  • pinno
    Fudgey wrote:
    Used a pair today for 40 miles and forgot to use, chamois cream, i didnt die and my ars* still seems intact so maybe once on they stretch out flat?
    Either way, ill make do for now cheers.
    Oh, and big wheels!

You use Chamois cream for 40 miles?! Do you like that slippery/squidgy under bum feeling?!
  • fudgey
    The one i currently have is more like a vaseline.. As i said, i sometimes get a reoccurring sore, so yes, over 20 miles ill use a bit of cream.
  • pinno
    Fudgey wrote:
    The one i currently have is more like a vaseline.. As i said, i sometimes get a reoccurring sore, so yes, over 20 miles ill use a bit of cream.

Sounds like ill fitting shorts - I guess they're worn out :wink:

Perhaps you should sell the tractor and buy some nice new shorts.
  • fudgey
    Its actually far worse with the winter bibs - dhb asv's than it is with the castelli's.
    And i have not finished paying for the tractor yet, but i can easily fit a complete bike in the back (hence reason for purchase) so ill keep that for now too...
  • pinno
    My Endura winter bibs are a bit like that. Just on the left side. It's been too chilly to try out my new Le Col padded one's :(

Oh, BTW - the DIY Fender nut works a treat.
  • fudgey
    Good man, glad it worked!
    The free areo races are bit thin, used leg warners today but have used them a couple of times recently without.

Rule #5 ;)
  • pinno
    FWIW, reading some of the reviews, the Free Aero race bibs are a bit flimsy, have caused saddle sores and don't last long.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-free-a ... 60691818uk
  • fudgey
    144 over 4 star reviews is pretty good imo. Tbh they are 100% better than the BBB ones i was using.

Be interesting to see what others are using i guess, but then, everyone is different so what works for some, doesnt work for others
  • pinno
    I get on fine with the Santini SMS pad, although it could be slightly better. So I buy Santini, knowing what i'm going to get.
    I'd like to try some DHB shorts. So far, i'm impressed with the quality of my DHB stuff.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I normally get 3 or 4 years of heavy use out of my shorts (and the thing to go is the lycra getting thin and going see through rather than the pad).
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've had both - sometimes thin shorts and a good pad and sometimes perfect shorts but a sore bum. Depends on how they're made but the dense foam type do seem to last longer.

It seems that I can't get the shorts I like with the pad I like in the right combo...
    I'm left handed, if that matters.