UK summer weather chain lubricant

Jonezy
Jonezy Posts: 5
edited March 2017 in MTB general
Hello.
I'm looking for a chain lube suitable for the summer days in the UK. I'll be riding on sunny days, but as you know rain can break out at any time and also leave the tracks wet the next day.
I won't be riding in any heavy mud or hardcore trails, just tarmac/light gravel tracks and some forest tracks that will get dirt on the chain if it has rained.

I've looked at many different types and I've been left a little confused.
It comes down to a dry or multi weather lube really, both claim to do the same thing.

Would like to hear some recommendations from someone who has experience with the different brands and substances. Ceramic/PTFE etc

Cheers.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited March 2017
    Squirt.
    That is all.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    Finish Line (Red bottle)
    Use it year round. Tried the Mucoff stuff but ditched it
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    JBA wrote:
    Squirt.
    That is all.
    This. End of.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    GT85 and a rag. Spray on the rag and run your chain through.
  • cooldad
    GT85 isn't actually chain lube.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    And yet it works really well. I'm using it year round now.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cougie wrote:
    And yet it works really well. I'm using it year round now.
    It's crap as a chain lube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    Try it and see how you get on with it. What IS good about it is that you need to reapply it. So its better that you clean the crap off the chain and relube rather than have a thick black grinding paste on your chain all year.

Horses for courses.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    GT85 is basically a degreaser (white spirits) with a bit of added PTFE. It strips off any lubricant you may already have and then leaves a thin film of PTFE that will act as a lubricant for a very short time on a bike chain.

The fact that you need to reapply it frequently is NOT good.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    3-in-1 cheap..... washed off after every ride anyway then reapply then clean off excess before the next ride with a rag

If its truly bone dry I'll use a dry lube and if its really wet a wet one and I have a few others that were just bought on sale/clearance but 90% of the time if it look like it might or might not rain it's just cheap 3-in-1

Probably the most important thing is cleaning the chain after each ride and 3-in-1 seems to come off relatively easy and its cheap.. so you can put lots on and wipe off excess
  • cooldad
    Or use something that doesn't gunk up the chain with oil, turn into grinding paste, and need regular cleaning.

Like Squirt.

Your opinion might differ. However wrong it is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fenix
    Whatever. I have GT85 already. I'll keep on with it. :-)
  • cooldad
    Whatever makes your bum hum.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Finishline green (wet lube) bottle here, usually apply when the chain starts making noises. I use it all year round, seems to do the job.

It rains all seasons in Scotland..
  • Jonezy
    Ok I hear you, I'll inspect the chain after rides and keep it clean.
    Thanks for the info and recommendations you've been most helpful.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    rock n roll for me. For years I have used it and for years I have never had to clean a chain.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Finish line wet lube all year round, WD40 or GT85 after ride to clean chain and then wipe off by running my chain through rag then lube, after every ride.
  • Jonezy
    edited March 2017
    Gone with Finish Line Dry for now (the red one) I would have tried Squirt but I'm using Amazon and the delivery price was ridiculous. If I see a bottle of Squirt in a shop I will pick it up.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    JBA wrote:
    Squirt.
    That is all.

^ This. Try it, you won't go back to black chains covered in grinding paste.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Jonezy wrote:
    Gone with Finish Line Dry for now (the red one) I would have tried Squirt but I'm using Amazon and the delivery price was ridiculous. If I see a bottle of Squirt in a shop I will pick it up.
    Doubt you will. Don't think any shops stock it.

There is an authorised seller on Ebay - £7.99.
    £7.99 form the In to dust website.
    £7.19 from wiggle if you are buying something else to get over the postage limit.

All other sellers seem to be outside the UK and have stipid postage prices.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Squirt on my MTB, clean, effective and easy to use.

On my commuter though it doesn't do it for me, it doesn't offer enough rust protection on wet salty roads so I live with using a wet lube and scraping the gunge off periodically.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    The Rookie wrote:
    Squirt on my MTB, clean, effective and easy to use.

On my commuter though it doesn't do it for me, it doesn't offer enough rust protection on wet salty roads so I live with using a wet lube and scraping the gunge off periodically.

^^^ Exactly my experience ...

Mind you, since I replaced my chain and cassette on my MTB a few months ago, I've not got around to de-greasing the chain and applying the squirt, just been using a wet lube sparingly. The mud and muck keep the black gunge at bay, so all that is needed is an occasional hose down, GT85, wipe off, re-lube. But I'd forgotten just how good and easy Squirt is, so have made a mental note to sort that soon!

I get mine from XCracer.com ... http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... oductid=41 ... £7.94 plus a free 15ml bottle that I carry around in my pack in case of particularly long wet rides when a drop more may be required mid-ride.
  • cooldad
    The little bottles are cute. I have a few. Good deal there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Jonezy
    cooldad wrote:
    Jonezy wrote:
    Doubt you will. Don't think any shops stock it.

There is an authorised seller on Ebay - £7.99.
    £7.99 form the In to dust website.
    £7.19 from wiggle if you are buying something else to get over the postage limit.

All other sellers seem to be outside the UK and have stipid postage prices.

Cheers.

I'm no expert and haven't tried Finish Line yet but coming to realize that it's about trial and error and your own specific riding conditions, on experience from years ago I avoid the thick sticky stuff. I think consistency of the liquid might be a big factor, milky/polish/thinner/slightly oily seems to work well. Spending money to find out is the problem.