Off-topic - phones

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
edited March 2017 in Commuting chat
I'm due for an upgrade for my Iphone 6.

The big question is, do I go for an Iphone 7, or an Iphone 6s?

I'm not interested in non-Iphone phones - I've had plenty of them in the past and I've made my decision.

The issue is mainly around the missing headphone slot.

I use my own earphones (currently shure se215s for anyone who cares), and regularly jump between my old fashioned I pod (a classic with 160gb space) and my phone ( for listening to podcasts etc). I'm not really in the market for a pair of bluetooth earphones, nor am I fan of the apple ones provided.

However, I could of course go for a bigger Iphone 7 and fill that up with everything on my I Pod.

So the real question is, headphones aside - how much better is the Iphone 7 over the Iphone 6s?

Has anyone used both?

Edit: i know there's a cable/apendage thing for the Iphone 7 for headphones, but that strikes me as a PITA.

Comments

• Gromson
    Gromson Posts: 100
    Happy with my 6S Plus.

Went for the largest memory available (big enough for zillions of tunes and holiday snaps).

Battery lasts well on a full day's riding when I remember to switch mobile data services off and stop it talking to the garmin via the BT.

Still fits in the back pocket.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    My wife's bluetooth headphones don't seem to sinc with the Iphone 7 anyway...
    left the forum March 2023
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    To me the main trade-off boils down to the waterproof-ness of the 7 vs the headphone-jack convenience of the 6s.

(disclosure: I have a 6 Plus (not "s") and I'm very happy with it)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've got a 7 plus. It's too big and the lack of headphone jack annoys me.
    That said, I did buy some Bose QC35s and they're excellent, so that's one way around it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The 6s has more sealing/water resistance than the 6, but is obviously not in the same league as the 7.
  • "due for an upgrade"

Another option, unless there is an issue with your iPhone 6, is just to stick with it for now and see how you feel in 6 months or a year.

That's what I'm doing - the lack of a headphone socket on the iPhone 7 seems like a PITA, so I'm deferring the decision until I've come around to the idea. Changing from a 6 to a 6S seems a bit pointless unless there is a problem with the 6 or you are on a package which means you've already (in effect) paid for the upgrade to a 7.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. I foolishly went for the smallest memory available on my current phone - hence the desire to jettison it asap.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Motorola G4. Very pleased with mine.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SecretSam wrote:
    Motorola G4. Very pleased with mine.
    You're not listening - he didn't ask for the best phone to get, he asked which iphone ;-)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I destroyed my 6 on a very wet bike ride.

Have the 7 now. It's fine, but not worth the upgrade if you can wait. I just use the standard apple buds, so haven't had any issues with the missing headphone jack.
    exercise.png
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got an iphone 6 (but with a decent amount of storage so I'm not changing it yet) and never use the headphone jack. Bluetooth all the way for me. I used to have the same earphones as you too (and some e2cs and Se110s) but got rid of them when I discovered how much more convenient wireless earphones are.

So for me at least the lack of headphone socket isn't a killer and the waterproofing is a real draw, but I don't like the new home button, however, won't the 7s be out shortly?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The 7/7plus is mid-cycle (c. 200 days out of typical 365 cycle) at the moment but the next iPhone is being talked about, yes.

Here is a link to the MacRumors iPhone 8 rumour collection page... https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/
  • rick_chasey
    So you're saying they're not going to 7s next but straight to 8 by the end of 2017?
  • Jal_
    Jal_ Posts: 49
    7 Plus and a pair of wireless earphones with a decent battery life. Not having cables is so much better!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited March 2017
    So you're saying they're not going to 7s next but straight to 8 by the end of 2017?
    There are various rumours but nobody really knows.

There are rumours they will go to an 8, I've also seen suggestions they'll bring out 3 phones, a 7S/7S Plus and a more premium 8 with a new form factor at the same time. Who knows!

It's also entirely possible that the rumours are wrong/misleading and they'll just bring out a pair of 7S phones and they'll be no 8 with a new form factor until late 2018.

What is almost certain is there will be new phones before the end of the year and the 7/7 Plus will be available more cheaply then.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    5.8" screen? Everything about modern phone design is wrong.

5.8" is too big for me, in fact anything over 5" i to big to use comfortably one handed (I'm asking for double entendres here so feel free to give me one).

I've just swapped my Samsung S6 edge for a Sony Z5 Compact and it's much better. Things I want from a phone:

1) 5" max screen size
    2) reasonable performance
    3) 4000mah battery
    4) SD card slot up to 256gb
    5) Waterproofing
    6) Robustness
    7) Decent camera (I will miss this from the S6)

Things I don't care about:

1) Massive screens
    2) 4k screens
    3) The charge cable it uses
    4) Wireless charging (fast charging is much more important)
    5) Being pushed to get wireless headphones (I do have some but I wear headphones a lot and i need to charge them halfway through the day, which isn't always convenient)
    6) How thin it is (it's going to get stuck in a case anyway).

Phones are continually moving away from what's useful and practical in a marketing arms race. Of course, it's unstoppable but it doesn't make it right.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • 7 or wait if you can
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    theres only 2 things i care about when getting a new phone.
    1) it runs android
    2) it fits in my rapha essentials case

done.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Asprilla wrote:
    Things I want from a phone:

1) 5" max screen size
    3) 4000mah battery
    5) Waterproofing
    6) Robustness
    Agree with all of these, but also:
    8) Replaceable battery.
    Li Ion batteries don't last forever, and I'm bored with having to conduct delicate and risky surgery to replace them. My current phone is basically the best one I could find ~15 months ago that was compact, waterproof and had a replaceable battery.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Asprilla wrote:
    [...] (I'm asking for double entendres here so feel free to give me one).
    [...]

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • secretsam
    Asprilla wrote:

5.8" is too big for me, in fact anything over 5" i to big to use comfortably one handed (I'm asking for double entendres here so feel free to give me one).

I've just swapped my Samsung S6 edge for a Sony Z5 Compact and it's much better. Things I want from a phone:

1) 5" max screen size
    3) 4000mah battery
    5) Waterproofing
    6) Robustness

1) Massive screens
    2) 4k screens
    5) Being pushed to get wireless headphones (I do have some but I wear headphones a lot and i need to charge them halfway through the day, which isn't always convenient)

Phones are continually moving away from what's useful and practical in a marketing arms race. Of course, it's unstoppable but it doesn't make it right.

Tol you. Motorola G4+. I bought mine direct, loads of memory. Decent case and screen protector, £300 or so all in.

• secretsam
    Asprilla wrote:

1) 5" max screen size
    3) 4000mah battery
    5) Waterproofing
    6) Robustness

1) Massive screens
    2) 4k screens

Tol you. Motorola G4+. I bought mine direct, loads of memory. Decent case and screen protector, £300 or so all in.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited March 2017
    Asprilla wrote:

1) 5" max screen size
    3) 4000mah battery
    5) Waterproofing
    6) Robustness

1) Massive screens
    2) 4k screens

I would say that the Z5 does have a decent camera. Some of the shots I posted on the Cake Stop Photography thread were taken with one. You may of course think that disproves my claim.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

1) 5" max screen size
    3) 4000mah battery
    5) Waterproofing
    6) Robustness

1) Massive screens
    2) 4k screens

I would say that the Z5 does have a decent camera.
    It gets dicked by the Samsung ones. The difference is night and day. If I can get my bum off the sofa later I'll do comparison shots. The Sony doesn't even do burst mode which is vital for pics of kids.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    spasypaddy wrote:
    theres only 2 things i care about when getting a new phone.
    1) it runs android
    2) it fits in my rapha essentials case

done.

This.

only this.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited March 2017
    Asprilla wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

1) 5" max screen size
    3) 4000mah battery
    5) Waterproofing
    6) Robustness

1) Massive screens
    2) 4k screens

I would say that the Z5 does have a decent camera.
    It gets dicked by the Samsung ones. The difference is night and day. If I can get my bum off the sofa later I'll do comparison shots. The Sony doesn't even do burst mode which is vital for pics of kids.
    I've not used the Samsung but the Z5 is more than enough for my needs (mostly documenting progress on badly lit building sites for work, with some landscapes and family photos on the side). It is noticeably better than Mrs RJS's iPhone. A burst function would be handy for the children but hardly essential.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    SecretSam wrote:

Yeah. I'm really happy with mine too. Have no allegiance to any brand, but why pay loads of money for a phone that screws you on memory. The G4 does everything well that I reckon 90% of the population use a phone for.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I just finally ditched my sh!tty 16GB iPhone 4S last week, I can't add anything useful to this debate
    FCN = 4
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    rjsterry wrote:
    A burst function would be handy for the children but hardly essential.

My Daughter is 14 in May, I don't think I'd get a blurry shot with a 2 minute exposure.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188

My Daughter is 14 in May, I don't think I'd get a blurry shot with a 2 minute exposure.

Thinking that through, just her thumbs would be a blur as she's always on Snapchat or whatever it's called.