Frame Damage Question

FOAM
FOAM Posts: 13
edited March 2017 in Road general
Hi,

So I have just replaced my Planet X XLS carbon frame to something a little more leisurely, thought nothing of it and sold the frame on Ebay.

It has been returned to me because there is some damage to the chainstay that I wasn't aware of.

I'm by no means an expert but to me it hardly looks like anything.

Does this compromise the frame in any way? and is it safe to resell?

Pictures:

Jbf9Obb.jpg
e2k5SK9.jpg

It looks worse in the 2nd picture.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Looks like tyre rub to me. It's not a crack so not a problem I would have thought. That area is usually pretty strong.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    That area is usually well reinforced because it's near the bottom bracket. It looks like it has gone through the paint. As the poster above said, I wouldn't think much of it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Something has worn it but i dont think its a tyre? I'd expect more of an arc and that seems to be a straight line?

Might be nothing but i can see why it was returned.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Sam happened to me with a Scott Foil. They replaced it under warranty. Faulty carbon drop out was the issue causing a mis-alignment of wheel/tyre.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • FOAM
    FOAM Posts: 13
    Thanks for getting back to me. Tyre rub sounds like it could have happened as I remember a while back the wheel was misaligned before I took it to get serviced.

Not sure if it's worth anything now so may just keep it as a spare.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It looks like an abrasion to the paint that hasn't cut through many (if any) fibres. What are your filling and touching up skills like? As long as you include a picture of the affected area on your listing and honestly describe it as having a few scuffs and scrapes that you'd expect from a used frame, you should be in the clear to sell it once you've patched the paintwork.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Giraffoto wrote:
    It looks like an abrasion to the paint that hasn't cut through many (if any) fibres. What are your filling and touching up skills like? As long as you include a picture of the affected area on your listing and honestly describe it as having a few scuffs and scrapes that you'd expect from a used frame, you should be in the clear to sell it once you've patched the paintwork.

Indeed. You can build the paint up with eg Humbrol enamel in gloss black. After a while it will reach the level of the original top coat and you can flat it down and polish it - and pretty much not be able to see where the damage was.

I have worse than this on my Ribble from mudguard rub.

I'd have expected it to be mentioned in an Ebay advert.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Just mention in the advert when you re-advertise it. People who aren't mega anal about paintwork and realise that carbon fibre isn't as delicate as bone china won't care. I wouldn't - its a cyclocross bike after all.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My CR1-SL has scrapes like that front and back. I've thought about filling them but to be honest I can't be arsed. The tyre clearances aren't huge and I was running 25mm Pro 4 SC which came up bigger. I'm assuming it's the occasional stone chipping sticking to the tyre and being forced through the gap.

I've now fitted a 23mm tyre at the rear...