Getting your fitness back after winter

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
For a variety of reasons I let my riding slip over the winter with only a 40-50 miles ride on a Sunday while towards the end of last summer I was averaging 20mph for about 1.5 hrs on a club ride. That's sat in the bunch and just about holding my own.

Fast forward to a couple of club rides this week and I'm getting spat out of the back with an average of 16-18mph and an average of 16mph plus. Effortwise about the same as the fast group but a lot slower average speed.

My weight has gone up and I'll sort than through diet but any tips on the best route back to getting some semblance of fitness back please?

Still doing 50 plus on a Sunday and there's no cake or coffee stop.

Piss poor discipline I know but at least I've got my mojo back and I want to ride my bike more and get my fitness back when before I really couldn't be arsed

Thanks in advance.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Analyse those reasons why you let things 'slip' and address them as a serious cyclist... if you want to be considered a serious cyclist by your peers that is... not everyones 'cup of tea as cyclists generally considered boring sh its to non cycling people... it's a tough call.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Change your discipline ... start to commute and take advantage of the natural interval sessions of scr
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Fat daddy has a good point, if you can fit a couple of commutes in it will help and you will be riding your bike more.
  • Its only March, you have 3 months until summer to get back on track. Don't panic, just try and get more miles in every day with the days becoming longer this should be easier. Pay particular attention to diet.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    @ JGSI Yep, I've reflected on the triggers which were both work related in terms of changing companies, roles, routines and competing priorities etc and psychologically which was more to do with age and finding a balance to input ie hours and outcome how much quicker did I want to get as i was the fittest I'd been for decades. So a number of derailers there which either resolved or on the road to resolution.

@Sloppy. I've got a 50;50 balanced focus between diet and riding. As I'm overweight its dropping off me and will continue to do so under my present diet/ 3 rides a week and I'll pivot to a more macro nutrient informed diet as my riding increases over the next few months. I'm conscious about my recovery and I'm going to bed earlier to ensure this is maxed out and when my body adapts to the current regime I'll throw a zone 2 ride in on a Wednesday and then on a Saturday with an active recovery ride which will leave one day off the bike.

Oh and i measured my performance yesterday on a local loop of 25 miles (1200ft climbing) which i could do in 1 hour 16 which took me 1hr 40 mins although it was blowing a hooley. Still shiite though ;-)

Any informed commentary on the above would be gratefully received.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just riding once a week isn't the best way to get fit. Three or four times a week will help massively. Turbo sessions. Spin classes.