Should I buy SPD SL pedals and shoes??? Advice please.

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi
I currently use spd double sided pedals. I am looking to upgrade my shoes as I am starting to increase my mileage. I used to do about 25 miles maximum commuting. I am now Increasing my mileage and will be doing 50 to 80 miles as a regular event. I am aiming to complete the chase the sun event in June. So my question is,will I see an improvement by changing to SPD - SL type system? Would also appreciate any advice on shoes/pedals. I have seen the Specialized comp road shoe on offer at £78.

Any views or advice appreciated either on the merits of changing to SPD - SL or shoes/pedals to purchase. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,503
    edited March 2017
    I use SPD-SL and most people I ride with use similar road oriented systems.
    However, I'm not aware that you'll notice a significant "improvement" by changing cleat type.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    Personally I never got on with SPD SLS coming to them from double sided SPDs as you are.

I ended up getting rid of them and switching to Speedplay which I'm really happy with.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    TBH I doubt you'd notice the difference.

I still ride SPD on double sided pedals most of the time. I've got SL's on my TT and summer road bike and the only difference I notice is that it's more of a pain to clip in on the SL's. My SPD shoes weren't expensive, but they're comfortable and have a stiff sole - thats the key part really - it means there are no hotspots even after long days in the saddle - I've done 100 miles with the SPDs as well as with the SLs - I'd still use the SPDs on long rides if I was expecting to do a fair amount of walking (eg touring).
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    If you get proper shoes with stiff enough sole, there is not much difference, main one being that it's easier to clip into double sided SPDs. For commuting i like SPDs better since you can get shoes with recessed cleats - much nicer, and cheaper, walking. I put SPD-SL on my lighter weekend bike, because, you know, lighter.
  • Only difference I found is the SLs are a bit more of a faff to get clipped into, that's why I went back to SPDs.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    I much prefer the SPD SL's because you can get them with zero float. Most people can't live with that but I can so for me it's a bonus.

If you need the float and the double sided nature, then I think speedplay is the way to go because on those your foot can turn like it's on a turntable as opposed to turning and moving left to right like Look/SPDSL
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    SL's on on my best bike - I much prefer the feel of them when clicked in.

For commuting though I still use SPD - which I think it better for that purpose - easier in and out - plus I have wellgo platform pedals (flat pedal one side , spd other) which is very useful
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Personally I never got on with SPD SLS coming to them from double sided SPDs as you are.

I ended up getting rid of them and switching to Speedplay which I'm really happy with.

Same here and if you cant afford speedplays, take a look at time xpresso/mavic zxellium pedals.
  • No need to change really unless you want to.
    Personally I use SPD-SL.

I did an audax last week (200 km) and there were lots of people on SPD's . They have the advantage that you can use a shoe with a recessed cleat on them and still walk comfortably, they're double sided, the cleats are steel and will rarely wear out.

SL's are not double sided, they're not easy/comfortable to walk in, and the cleats wear out, although they are more "road oriented".
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    My bike came with SPD-SLs & other than the initial struggles (though I never fell over!) I have no complaints about them. If I used my bike for commuting I probably would look at getting double-sided ones, though. On leisure rides I avoid traffic lights like the plague :mrgreen:
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Pedal choice is yet another one of those multitude of subjects that can split cycling opinion but, to answer the original question, IMHO you would not notice any actual performance advantage in changing from SPD to SPD SL (assuming that the respective shoes were equally as stiff). Personally, I use SPDs on all my bikes and am more than happy with them. I have single sided Shimano A600s on one bike, double sided A540s on another and A530s on a third which are SPD on one side and flat on the other. On shorter rides, I do not personally believe that there is much difference between them but, for longer distances, I find the A600s more comfortable as the seem to support the foot better (of course, it might also be because I want them to be better as they were more expensive than the others!). Some may disagree but, to me, the single point that swings my choice in the direction of SPD is the ability to walk properly in the shoes.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • vince133
    Hi All. Thanks for your replies. If I was sticking with SPD,s. is there any particular shoe you might recommend. I have done some research but sometimes when you search for shoes that are comparable with the 2 bolt system you get some that are not. Or is an adapter the route to take. My current shoes are quite old and I am need of a replacement pair. Thanks
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    Vince133 wrote:
    Hi All. Thanks for your replies. If I was sticking with SPD,s. is there any particular shoe you might recommend. I have done some research but sometimes when you search for shoes that are comparable with the 2 bolt system you get some that are not. Or is an adapter the route to take. My current shoes are quite old and I am need of a replacement pair. Thanks

I use Shimano RT82s with SPDs on my winter bike. They're classed by Shimano as touring shoes but look like road shoes except they work with 2 bolt cleats. Never noticed a particular lack of stiffness compared to my summer shoes. Easy to walk in too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2017
    What do you mean by 'improvement'?

I have/use both on different bikes, and much prefer SL on a road bike.
    There are differences and benefits, but I really cannot be bothered to go into it, or argue the points with people who either have not, or cannot use SL's.

Best thing is not to ask on here and just try SL's for yourself.
    If you are in the market for new shoes, its a perfect time to give them a go.

Sometimes (and I am not particularly directing this at you) it seems people ask these questions on here just to get some sad reassurance to stick with SPD.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Yes
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    kingrollo wrote:
    SL's on on my best bike - I much prefer the feel of them when clicked in.

For commuting though I still use SPD - which I think it better for that purpose - easier in and out

This :!:
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • vince133
    Thanks for your replies. Will visit some local bike shops and try some for size and evaluate from their. Hoping to spend in the region of £100 so hopefully something reasonable out there. Any suggestions or pointers appreciated. Thanks again.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Either Shimano 520 or the 540s (540 in about a tenner more but comes with better bearings).

Shoes are completely down to which best fits your foot.

You can't go wrong with Specialized, Sidi, Grio, Shimano.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop