It's windy

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2017 in Commuting chat
Right now, according to the met office, it's 19mph with gusts of 40mph. A colleague and I are meant to be doing 75miles on Sunday, when it will be similar. It's very windy, i don't mind rain, but wind is scary. Any tips?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• http://www.xcweather.co.uk

Probably not a day for deep rims or wide tyres. :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    When it's a gusting cross wind, anticipate severe lateral movement when passing gateways in hedgerows. Whilst you may get used to it, the driver coming up behind may not be expecting it.
    (Knackered from an hour's commute back with a 18mph headwind - feeling at one with itboffin's Windshire.)
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk
    Probably not a day for deep rims or wide tyres. :wink:
    ... or cycling :wink:
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Set a new personal record for my ride home...mostly flat/downhill AND the wind mostly behind me!

The trip into work in the morning was a couple of minutes slower though!
  • greenamex2
    Kerland33 wrote:
    I don't think it will be good idea riding bike on the rainy day. because the road is much slippery. Anything can happen. You should be careful.

Depends whether you are equipped for it or not. Having the right tyres set to the right pressure means rain is irrelevant.

I am also mostly by myself on a tree and bush lined mud covered disused railway track masquerading as a national cycle route, so the only person I have to worry about is generally me and the odd jogger/dog walker.

Had to be a bit more careful on the frost/snow/ice but once I got the right tyres for that, no problem.

Do see the occasional thin tired road bike on my route, they do seem to have to take thing pretty carefully when it is wet.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    You'll be fine.

Just get on with it, and worry less.

Honest.

I can count on one hand the days where it was so bad that I wish I hadn't got on a bike, and the numbers have been much bigger than those.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    60 MPH gusts now that's more than just a bit windy

If i'm every super rich once i've bought my fleet of road building machines i'm going to construct a giant dome over Windshire
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I have to do a charity ride tomorrow, 110 miles.

East to West! :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    itboffin wrote:
    60 MPH gusts now that's more than just a bit windy

If i'm every super rich once i've bought my fleet of road building machines i'm going to construct a giant dome over Windshire

Wouldn't it be easier to move somewhere else? Like somewhere actually nice for instance...
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    that what i said, my wife thinks differently, very differently
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Practice holding on to your bike with just your arse cheeks. It's happened to me a couple of times and I swear the only thing that kept me on the bike was the reactive clench.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin wrote:

Take her to Sardinia, spend a week in Cagliari... beaches, cafes, restaurants, try the local wines, spirits and beer, go and see the flamingos, pick some juniper and myrth berries to make your own gin, rent a boat and discover some secluded bays with tourquoise sea and wonderful climate all year round... if she wants to go back to Windshire divorce her, not worth wasting your time with the wrong person... :wink:
  • torino
    torino Posts: 46
    greenamex2 wrote:
    Had to be a bit more careful on the frost/snow/ice but once I got the right tyres for that, no problem.

Which are? I'm just about to buy a pair of Conti 4-seasons, as there are good discounts around now that the winter is finally over. 32mm. These will go into my Croix-de-Fer, which I will use for some long-distance touring during the summer (hopefully). Just wondering whether these are also good for winter riding (over frost/snow/ice), since the CdF will double as winter-bike, and I don't want to buy yet another pair of tyres...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Schwalbe winter with studs are the cheapest and narrowest at 30 mm... the only ones that keep you up on the ice
  • torino
    torino Posts: 46
    Schwalbe winter with studs are the cheapest and narrowest at 30 mm... the only ones that keep you up on the ice

Thanks! Will take a look at it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Take her to Sardinia, spend a week in Cagliari... beaches, cafes, restaurants, try the local wines, spirits and beer, go and see the flamingos, pick some juniper and myrth berries to make your own gin, rent a boat and discover some secluded bays with tourquoise sea and wonderful climate all year round... if she wants to go back to Windshire divorce her, not worth wasting your time with the wrong person... :wink:

Cant fault your logic
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Mostly fearing a "summer" like last year (or was it the year before?) when every day for six months it seemed to be blowing at 25mph, minimum.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mostly fearing a "summer" like last year (or was it the year before?) when every day for six months it seemed to be blowing at 25mph, minimum.

was the year before, it was a nightmare
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

was the year before, it was a nightmare
    Thanks for the correction.
    Time to turn "Belgian" or simply give up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    torino wrote:

Thanks! Will take a look at it.

Amazing offer here

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... prod118113
  • greenamex2
    Last night riding home was like riding uphill all the way.