Osborne and the Standard

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 27,486
edited March 2017 in The cake stop
:shock:

A day a week at Black Rock is one thing, but how on earth do you make a decent fist of being an MP and the Editor of a major newspaper at the same time? He must be really good friends with Evgeny.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Let alone the fact his constituency is a looong way from London.

Great system.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Shows how seriously he takes being an MP now, should be kicked out.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Absolute f*cking weapon. Hate is a strong word, but I hate this man with a passion.

He pretty much typifies the Conservative Party.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    rjsterry wrote:
    :....... but how on earth do you make a decent fist of being an MP and the Editor of a major newspaper at the same time?
    Easy, you don't. He'll just make as much money as he can until he gets found out and then make even more money once he quits as a MP (i.e. doesn't get re-elected). That wil do nicely along with his MP pension and all that lovely money from the family firm. What a venal, rapacious b4stard - I wanted to use another word that begins with c and ends in unt but the website wouldn't let me. That's not a word usually found in my vocabulary but I'll make an exception in his case. I feel a bit better now.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    There must be some serious manhood sucking and ball playing going on between Russian billionaires and senior tories.

I wonder if the tax payer will get a rebate as George won't be able to serve as a full time MP.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I think the first years get lessons in the first one at Eton.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    He's an utter TWUNT. Or Cheshire Hunt.
    A most vile, selfish, self serving, over privileged Charlie,Uniforn,November,Tango.

The C word is reserved only for the most deserving.
    Osborne has earnt that right in bucket loads.

I've worked in newspaper publishing before at regional level for a few dailys. So if my experience is anything to go by, the role of Editor at The E'nin' Stana' is probably more 'figurehead' than actual hands on and practical.
    Still its a bl00dy joke and proves the old adage. "It's who you know and not what you know".
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Blimey. Didn't realise there was so much anti-isborne sentiment bubbling under the surface. No strong feelings myself beyond wondering whether it will be his constituents, or the Standard or both that will get the raw deal. Anyone going to post a contrary view?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    One of my mates lives in his contituency. It's ones of those areas, like mine, that if the Tories put forward a dead dog in a blue wig it would still win an election.

I wonder how the senior editorial team at the Standard have taken the appointment. Would be interesting to see if some quit.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well I sorted out my mortgage and all of my finances because I could not live with either or the risk of them getting worse. He sorted out the defecit to the country.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Mr Goo wrote:
    One of my mates lives in his contituency. It's ones of those areas, like mine, that if the Tories put forward a dead dog in a blue wig it would still win an election.

I wonder how the senior editorial team at the Standard have taken the appointment. Would be interesting to see if some quit.

Well in fact before him it was Martin Bell - independent who won as well as some tw with a strange wife - so not the great tory heritage in fairness.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    FishFish wrote:
    Well I sorted out my mortgage and all of my finances because I could not live with either or the risk of them getting worse. He sorted out the defecit to the country.

Thank goodness we don't have a deficit any more.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    A friend of a friend lives in his constituency and was a member of the local conservative group (or whatever they are). She met him and tried to convince me he was the most amazing person and would save the country and be a fantastic prime minister one day.
    I tried to convince her the he was a politician but she wouldn't have any of it...
  • dinyull
    Eliminating the deficit: In 2010 Osborne promised that his austerity experiment would completely eliminate the budget deficit by 2015. In reality the UK is still borrowing £100 billion per year, meaning that he's failed to even halve the deficit.

Government debt: In 2010 Osborne predicted that the UK national debt would have reached £1.232 trillion by 2015. In reality it has risen to £1.489 trillion, which means he has borrowed £257 billion more than he said he would.

The size of the economy: In 2010 Osborne predicted that the UK economy would grow to £1.916 trillion by 2015, but in reality it is only £1.822 trillion, meaning that he's borrowed more than a quarter of a trillion more than he said he was going to, in order to make the UK economy almost £100 billion smaller than he said it was going to be.

Debt/GDP:
    In 2010 Osborne predicted that debt would peak at 67.2% of GDP in 2015 and then start falling. In reality the debt has reached 80.4% of GDP and it's still growing dramatically. This means that he's now overseen the longest sustained increase in the national debt since the Second World War!

The UK Credit Rating: Before he became Chancellor George Osborne staked his reputation on maintaining the UK's AAA Credit Ratings, but in 2013 the UK economy was downgraded for the first time since the 1970s.

Worse than Labour: George Osborne continually harps on about how Labour would threaten his "economic recovery" but what he doesn't tell you is that in just four years he's created more new debt than every single Labour government in history combined!

Earnings: One of the strongest indicators that Osborne's ideological austerity experiment is really bad for Britain is the fact that he has overseen the longest sustained decline in wages since records began.The fact that millions of workers are significantly worse off than they were in 2008 thanks to George Osborne's deliberate campaign of wage repression explains why economic demand is still so weak and the "recovery" so slow. As a result of Osborne's policies, ordinary workers have suffered the worst declines in income since records began.
  • dinyull
    Whilst shitting on the poorest of the poor.
  • dinyull
    It was stolen from there haha.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Proof that a talentless c0ckwomble can be anything they want to be, provided that they went to the right school, have the right mates, and plenty of family money.

What a total C U Next Tuesday.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    FishFish wrote:

I've read some shit on here, but we have a winner.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    SecretSam wrote:
    Proof that a talentless c0ckwomble can be anything they want to be, provided that they went to the right school, have the right mates, and plenty of family money.

What a total C U Next Tuesday.

Osbourne and his cronies are the clever ones, unfortunately, we are the fools for allowing him and his ilk to get richer and more powerful :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Dinyull wrote:
    ...the UK is still borrowing £100 billion per year, meaning that he's failed to even halve the deficit.

Would you like to reconsider this statement? The projected deficit for 2016/2017 is circa £65b compared to £150b in 2009/2010. Given GDP growth, the deficit as a % of GDP has fallen from over 10% to circa 3.5%.

I'm not saying this is good. Just questioning your sources!
  • dinyull
    Dinyull wrote:
    ...the UK is still borrowing £100 billion per year, meaning that he's failed to even halve the deficit.

Would you like to reconsider this statement? The projected deficit for 2016/2017 is circa £65b compared to £150b in 2009/2010. Given GDP growth, the deficit as a % of GDP has fallen from over 10% to circa 3.5%.

It was taken (cut/paste) from a blog written back in 2015.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

It was taken (cut/paste) from a blog written back in 2015.

OK. That sounds about right. Is it OK for me to claim I'm still 46 as that's how old I was two years ago?
  • dinyull
    Seeing as he's not chancellor now I though it'd be worth going back to when he was....
  • Dinyull wrote:
    Seeing as he's not chancellor now I though it'd be worth going back to when he was....

Fair point, but he was Chancellor until just 8 months ago.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I don't get the shitstorm here.

MP's are entitled to do this. It's just particularly bad in his case.

But, he shouldn't resign. The people should exercise their democratic right at the next election to remove him. That's how democracy works.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I've read that this is Gideon's opening gambit towards becoming the next Mayor of London as his constituency is being abolished at the next general election

Sounds plausible!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    crispybug2 wrote:
    I've read that this is Gideon's opening gambit towards becoming the next Mayor of London as his constituency is being abolished at the next general election

Sounds plausible!

Assuming that you are guilty only of ignorance you should know that the other people who call him Gideon do so to spread the world that he is Jewish. They do so to reaffirm their belief in an international Jewish conspiracy theory by letting you know how many Jews are in positions of power, particularly in finance.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    crispybug2 wrote:

Sounds plausible!

Assuming that you are guilty only of ignorance you should know that the other people who call him Gideon do so to spread the world that he is Jewish. They do so to reaffirm their belief in an international Jewish conspiracy theory by letting you know how many Jews are in positions of power, particularly in finance.

Awwww bless!

It's such a shame to watch someone climb up on their high horse before checking what a f*cking long way down it is to fall before they come crashing back down to earth!!!

Gideon is his birth name, a quick Wikipedia check could have put you right but I guess that that isn't in line with your paranoia is it?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    crispybug2 wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

Sounds plausible!

Awwww bless!

It's such a shame to watch someone climb up on their high horse before checking what a f*cking long way down it is to fall before they come crashing back down to earth!!!

Gideon is his birth name, a quick Wikipedia check could have put you right but I guess that that isn't in line with your paranoia is it?

I am well aware of that. Do you call Boris Johnson by his first given name or the name by which he chose to be known? What about Paddy Ashdown, do you call him Jeremy?