'ning

cafes. wfh, bit of bike maintenance

should do some planning for hols
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Not working today. Weather's shite.

Apparently the end of the world is nigh. Sandy Toksvig and Noel Fielding are heralding in the end of days.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Morning folks.

Stupid rubbish Vittorias need pumping up again so can't be bothered with s/s today, will use n3 bike (Planet X Superlight with phat carbons, Dura ACe, EC90SLXs and WCS finishing kit - light, stiff as buggery as when I smash it I I won't really care).

Day promises avoiding politics, bits of weights, maybe a longer ride on the way home.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    went to work, applied for a different job, dealt with some shit emails. still at work. need coffee.

Wine is being opened and drank in a similar fashion to TLW and cider in the local
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Happy St Patrick everyone! :D

I would have mentioned it in the thread title but beggars can't be choosers. Leaving work at 3 when the drinking will commence. An all day Team meeting will precede festivities but at least a free lunch is thrown in.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Matthewfalle
    Can I make some comments that may infuriate the clubbies around here ref this morning's ride:

1. Riding s/s for 3 months then jumping on a bike with gears does seem to make geared bike riding easier

2. Riding 22mm Giros at 140psi is soooo much nicer than the clubbies favourite of 28mm Victoria Corsa SCs at 120 psi.

Right, time for coffee.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Can I make some comments that may infuriate the clubbies around here ref this morning's ride:
    2. Riding 22mm Giros at 140psi is soooo much nicer than the clubbies favourite of 28mm Victoria Corsa SCs at 120 psi.

You mean that you cba fixing the Vittoria tubs so you come up with some bollox?

Morning evelybody peeps

Weather is more shyte than across on the East Side (it is - don't argue with me). Might go on rollers me. Will need a box of tissues or a bucket for the green stuff.

I see Flan is trying to be an alcoholic - good luck mate.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    32mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro at 80psi, lovely and comfy.

Morning folks,
    Still busy in here but it's both cafe Fryday and cake Friday so all is well with the world. Turns out we should have had cakes last week but the purchasing department are late with their buying, again. They'll probably buy the wrong thing anyway. Going to the pub with the Mrs on the way home to start the weekend in traditional fashion.
    Flan still needs my BotB place.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I had 1 thing to do today and that was to knock out a quick 40miles on zwift before cycling to work .... and I go get a puncture

Still not sure I understand punctures on a turbo trainer .. but after the faff of swapping wheels out etc I only managed 35 miles .... for some reason, failing this totally unneeded bit of training to an arbitrary number that I just decided upon the evening before has put me on a downer

mind you the annoyance of it made me ride a lot harder to work today ... proper good sprinting between lights to keep up with the traffic ... quads ache now
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Right, time for coffee.

both sound excellent
  • Flâneur
    fat daddy wrote:
    I had 1 thing to do today and that was to knock out a quickie before cycling to work .... and I go get a puncture

Still not sure I understand punctures on a turbo trainer .. but after the faff of swapping wheels out etc I only managed 35 miles .... for some reason, failing this totally unneeded bit of training to an arbitrary number that I just decided upon the evening before has put me on a downer

mind you the annoyance of it made me ride a lot harder to work today ... proper good sprinting between lights to keep up with the traffic ... quads ache now
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    :)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Na, no chance. Much worse here. Sat intge car outside Ikea. Ho hum.
  • pinno
    fat daddy wrote:
    ...for some reason, failing this totally unneeded bit of training...

Which is rather contrary to what you've been saying in that thread over in Communting Chat.
    Garry H wrote:

IKEA?! You must be well posh.
  • fat daddy
    Pinno wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Which is rather contrary to what you've been saying in that thread over in Communting Chat

ah not really ..... I was scheduled for a 2x12 threshold with bursts ... but decided that seeing that I was going to my parents and eating too much that instead I would get up early and just burn as many calories as I could in the given time to offset the damage of overfeeding.

the training in this case was unwarranted, ... I guess the base miles wont hurt, but the futile attempt to offset food in despite of my schedule was probably unwise

I panicked .... next I'll start thinking I miss meals to compensate ... its all part of a mild eating disorder than trying to loose weight gives you
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:
    I had 1 thing to do today and that was to knock out a quick 40miles on zwift before cycling to work .... and I go get a puncture

We don't care.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Which is rather contrary to what you've been saying in that thread over in Communting Chat

ah not really ..... I was scheduled for a 2x12 threshold with bursts ... but decided that seeing that I was going to my parents and eating too much that instead I would get up early and just burn as many calories as I could in the given time to offset the damage of overfeeding.

the training in this case was unwarranted, ... I guess the base miles wont hurt, but the futile attempt to offset food in despite of my schedule was probably unwise

I panicked .... next I'll start thinking I miss meals to compensate ... its all part of a mild eating disorder than trying to loose weight gives you

Again, unfortunately we don't care. It's not healthy or fun and neither is going riding on a glass of water and some pro-plus.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Which is rather contrary to what you've been saying in that thread over in Communting Chat.
    Garry H wrote:

IKEA?! You must be well posh.

Nah - he's just collecting the cardboard boxes to build his new extension. It's a common thing in Wales around these times when they stop hibernating and start to come out of their caves looking for wildebeest to eat.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat daddy
    Again, unfortunately we don't care. .

what makes you think I care that you don't care ???

Ultimately you trudge out of BB and ruin many peoples threads .... its only fair we come over here and ruin your threads about clubbies

infact now I know you don't care ..... I might do it more often
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:

You mean that you cba fixing the Vittoria tubs so you come up with some bollox?

Morning evelybody peeps

Weather is more shyte than across on the East Side (it is - don't argue with me). Might go on rollers me. Will need a box of tissues or a bucket for the green stuff.

I see Flan is trying to be an alcoholic - good luck mate.

Laters.

There's nothing wrong with them save for the fact as they are like whizzy whizzy race ones they pumping up every 3 or so days and I couldn't be fagged this morning. Will do it all when I clean the bike on Tuesday.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    He hasn't got the arm strength to manage the pump.

Should prob get back to knocking one out each morning, or actually lifting some weights rather than sitting on the bench drinking a coffee on our dime.

A drunk Pinno, I do not have any problems, except you lot, and my luck with Cheltenham this week
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:

Ultimately you trudge out of BB and ruin many peoples threads .... its only fair we come over here and ruin your threads about clubbies

Sorry - still not caring.

You're welcome over here so long as you don't post boring shyyyt about your massively dull and unhealthy fat reducing plan. It's BB, not communting general, if you haven't noticed.

Why oh why would you want to turbo train before going for a ride? Just go for a longer ride.

No threads ruined on my part - try opening your eyes and being less serious: at the end of the day you ain't a pro, won't be a Neopro and if you're lucky you'll scrape mid table Cat 4 no matter what your mum and your clubbie mates say, so chill out. Or take less caffeine pills - added to everything else, I won't want you to go tacky with your BP....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Flâneur wrote:
    He hasn't got the arm strength to manage the pump.

Should prob get back to knocking one out each morning, or actually lifting some weights rather than sitting on the bench drinking a coffee on our dime.

A drunk Pinno, I do not have any problems, except you lot, and my luck with Cheltenham this week

It's a really big pump so even my puny arms can manage it. It's just a fag and I couldn't be bothered.

I'll let you know I lifted the entire gym the other day. Twice.

Coffee? Ooooh yes please. I'll get them in now. Thank you for paying.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat daddy
    [
    Why oh why would you want to turbo train before going for a ride? Just go for a longer ride....

do you really want to know ? .. you said you don't care

and what are you talking about pro - cat 4 ..... this isn't about real cycling, this is zwift dude .. I am Cat C ! .. and if my mum says I can reach Cat b, then I can reach cat b

edit: mid table cat c though ..... so you got the mid table bit right
  • pinno
    fat daddy wrote:

I don't care that you don't care that he doesn't care (and none of the rest care).

Oh and BTW - the whole of BB is a derailing exercise, so fill yer boots.

@ Flan. As a one time regular frequenter of the Cheltenham festival and many little known mid week meetings, as you are a casual punter, the only advice I can give is follow either:

A stable that is doing well or
    A jockey that's doing well.

...and both preferably.

Without studying form, you can work the 'system'. The system is 1,1,2,4,7. You choose the favourite. You place 1 or 10 or 100 or 1000 on the favourite and if it doesn't come in, you do the same. If it doesn't come in, do the same on the 3rd bet - except 2 x what you put on the 1st and 2nd horses. If that doesn't come in, 4 x and then again, if no result - 7 x.
    The odds of a flat favourite coming in is 27%. A NH horse favourite - 29%.
    The system is simply playing on the odds of the chances of a favourite coming in, except - there's not much payback unless you put large sums on due to the 'short odds'

Here is a fun method. Low chances of success but high payout.

Each way accumulator.

Place £5 (which is a £10 stake as you are going for an each way placing).

Pick the 1st and second favourite from 4 races.
    Then pick the 2nd and 1st favourite from 4 races (it can be the same 4 races)

Accumulator 1:

Race 1, Horse A (favourite for that race)
    Race 2. Horse B (Second favourite for that race)
    Race 3. Horse A (favourite for that race)
    Race 4. Horse B (Second favourite for that race)

Accumulator 1:

Race 1, Horse B (Second favourite for that race)
    Race 2. Horse A (favourite for that race)
    Race 3. Horse B (Second favourite for that race)
    Race 4. Horse A (favourite for that race)

Accumulator 3. 'The 'long shot'

Race 1. 3rd favourite
    Race 2. 3rd favourite.... etc

Total cost of running 3 accumulators £30.

Or, take a complete gamble. Mix the 12 horses you picked and place them on 3 different lines.
    The other beauty is that you are taking all the indecision out of the process and then once you've placed your bet(s), you can sit back and watch it all unfold, knowing you haven't forked out much money in the first instance and that potentially, you could make a fortune - although the chances are slim but better than chucking £x 'on the nose' because tobefair sounds good and how romantic that would be if that horse came in. If you think about that, what actual, rational basis did you put money on that horse?

It's a long shot but much fun because you can have multiple tickets running but you're not paying out much money. In an each way accumulator, the 'winnings' are carried over for up to 4th place. However, be wary of payouts to 4th place as these races contain fields of more than 18 horses - difficult to pick a winner.... and 4th place can be 1/5th the odds, so not much is being 'carried over'.

Putting a speculative £50 on a horse 'cos the horse has a name that sounds good, is madness and playing into the bookies hands. Bet with your head, not your heart.
  • Flâneur
    haha love it,

going to play with this in the future. Sometimes I play with cover bets sometimes i go EW. Often I just go on the nose for a laugh and see what happens. Only money the missus would have spent anyway.

I just had one of those weeks, Had bet on Walsh all week, then avoided yesterday and he smashed it. I'll avoid FX and go stick to companies and commodities if I lose today
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • fat daddy
    Pinno wrote:
    Oh and BTW - the whole of BB is a derailing exercise, so fill yer boots..

If I could figure out what the track actually was I would go out of my way to try and keep it there
  • pinno
    fat daddy wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Oh and BTW - the whole of BB is a derailing exercise, so fill yer boots..

If I could figure out what the track actually was I would go out of my way to try and keep it there

You do realise that what you are suggesting is that there is some form of design to it all?!

If you like, i'll try and decipher it with a "@FD" here and there and then you might get a handle on it. More, maybe even i'll get a handle on it too!
  • fat daddy
    I'd appreciate that .. you sure there is no design ?? .... it might be like the universe and God created it and has a plan ?
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:
    [
    Why oh why would you want to turbo train before going for a ride? Just go for a longer ride....

do you really want to know ? .. you said you don't care

and what are you talking about pro - cat 4 ..... this isn't about real cycling, this is zwift dude .. I am Cat C ! .. and if my mum says I can reach Cat b, then I can reach cat b

edit: mid table cat c though ..... so you got the mid table bit right

Cat C. Wow. That's almost but not quite utterly shite. Carry on training and you'll soon make ..... Cat C.

Why are you turbo training? Go and do some real miles. If you ask nicely some of us here may offer you some tips and hints that may help you: we do have some experience, we just aren't freakin' boring.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    I try to avoid racing MF, so FD please don't ask me, I've been signed up for 4 road races to essentially be my mate's bitch either leading him out or attacking and breaking people.

I just like riding my bike and chatting shit. road racing is full of cunts, stick to racing (badly) my cx and mtb
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy