Disc Wheels

k1875
k1875 Posts: 485
edited March 2017 in Commuting chat
I'm looking to replace the stock wheelset on my CAADX because... Well, new wheels.

Although the vast majority of the time I use the bike for commuting on road, I do like to venture onto some hardpack / gravel / rough surface tracks from time to time.

I am not slim. At approx. 16 stone, will "road" wheels be up to this sort of thing ? You rarely see filters on websites for dedicated CX wheels (which I assume would be built a bit stronger), all 700c disc wheels just all seem to get lumped together.

Does anyone have any recommendations ? For reasons I won't go into, although I'm only looking to spend about £500 max I'm going to have to go with an online retailer / high street shop who offer finance, so hand-builts from an independent are (probably ?) not an option, no matter how much they may fit the bill. Have considered just getting a cheap(ish) hardtail but the wife has vetoed that idea, on the naïve assumption that I won't spend as much on a pair of wheels...

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    You should be looking at something bespoke... Archetype rims 32 holes on some decent hubs will be less than 500 pounds, even with top hubs like Hope.

CX wheels don't need to be stronger than wheels for road, the opposite is true actually
    left the forum March 2023
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    CX wheels don't need to be stronger than wheels for road, the opposite is true actually

I have no idea why ? ..... why ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    The wheel killers are mileage and load... there isn't much mileage in CX and typically folks who do CX don't weigh 16 stone. In CX you get more mud and dirt, which might lead to shorter bearing life, but that cannot be resolved by a "stronger wheel", you just need better bearings and better seals
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The wheel killers are mileage and load... there isn't much mileage in CX and typically folks who do CX don't weigh 16 stone. In CX you get more mud and dirt, which might lead to shorter bearing life, but that cannot be resolved by a "stronger wheel", you just need better bearings and better seals

I think you need to visit the Central CX League and watch a veterans race.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    You should be looking at something bespoke... Archetype rims 32 holes on some decent hubs will be less than 500 pounds, even with top hubs like Hope.
    I'm half a stone lighter, and this is exactly what I got for my CAADX, built with Sapim Race spokes and Pro 2 Evo hubs (don't think the hubs are available any more) for £350 or £380.
    6000 miles later, the rear is maybe 1mm out, despite having the rear mech crash into the spokes after the hanger snapped
    Bought mine from Moonglu in Ripon
  • ugo.santalucia
    Asprilla wrote:

I think you need to visit the Central CX League and watch a veterans race.

Possibly, but that doesn't mean the market caters for them... in other words, if you buy wheels badged for cyclocross, don't assume they are "built stronger" because of that
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    I recently had a custom when build from 23mm Wheels. Highly recommended.

http://23mm.co.uk/blog/23mm-wheels/

Choose your hubs, rims and spokes and he will build them up for you. He will also offer advice and recommendations based on what you are after.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hunt are getting some nice write ups
    https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide

If they'd been available when I was shopping around a couple of years ago then I'd have gone there. As it is, I'm still very pleased with my Ugo built wheelset :D

cUF8D-RtG1Tknj9C-JbMabrGqNqDXe5GmtcC3kt8fqY-2048x1536.jpg

They'll be moving onto a CAAD12 frame in the next day or two
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ugo.santalucia
    dhope wrote:
    Hunt are getting some nice write ups
    https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide

If they'd been available when I was shopping around a couple of years ago then I'd have gone there. As it is, I'm still very pleased with my Ugo built wheelset :D

cUF8D-RtG1Tknj9C-JbMabrGqNqDXe5GmtcC3kt8fqY-2048x1536.jpg

They'll be moving onto a CAAD12 frame in the next day or two

The Hunt are OK, although I am not quite sure how they manage to go sub-1500 g with those components... it doesn't add up...
    Moreover, should you not be able to get something better than rebadged Novatec hubs for that money?

Hope = 200 a pair with 10% CRC discount
    Rims tubeless... say 150 for a good pair
    Spokes CX Ray, say 100 quid
    Build say 50 quid

total 500

Drop the CX ray and get Sapim D-light and they would cost the same as the Hunt but with significantly better hubs
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    Slight hijack, because I also need new wheels on a disc CX, but I'm after something cheap as possible.
    Is there any reason not to get 29" MTB wheels and fit them to a disc CX? Is the rim too wide, or wrong hub width? I guess you can still fit a 9sp road cassette on a MTB 9sp freehub?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    k1875 wrote:
    Does anyone have any recommendations ? For reasons I won't go into, although I'm only looking to spend about £500 max I'm going to have to go with an online retailer / high street shop who offer finance, so hand-builts from an independent are (probably ?) not an option, no matter how much they may fit the bill.

OP wants finance..., do wheel builders offer finance?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:
    k1875 wrote:
    Does anyone have any recommendations ? For reasons I won't go into, although I'm only looking to spend about £500 max I'm going to have to go with an online retailer / high street shop who offer finance, so hand-builts from an independent are (probably ?) not an option, no matter how much they may fit the bill.

Though I suppose if you buy the bits from an online retailer who offers finance, then bung someone £50 to build the wheel, but then the builder loses out on the margin on the bits?

I dunno.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Slight hijack, because I also need new wheels on a disc CX, but I'm after something cheap as possible.
    Is there any reason not to get 29" MTB wheels and fit them to a disc CX? Is the rim too wide, or wrong hub width? I guess you can still fit a 9sp road cassette on a MTB 9sp freehub?

Rim is typically too wide
  • ugo.santalucia
    hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    k1875 wrote:

Though I suppose if you buy the bits from an online retailer who offers finance, then bung someone £50 to build the wheel, but then the builder loses out on the margin on the bits?

I dunno.

There are builders who are happy to build on supplied components, I was... I think Arup Sen is one of them... alternatively DIY is the way to go
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I use mt66 MTB wheels on my CX bike. Do the job nicely. Seem to be solid wheels so far.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... 7C435993UK

£150 ish
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The DT Swiss R32 Spline wheelsets are rated up to 130kg - might be worth a look.

Pro Lite seem to have become dramatically more expensive recently but they claim all their wheelsets are handbuilt. I've got a set of the cheap Garda's, it's sort of been so far so good with them.
  • hopkinb
    Pro-lite revo a21 are still "only" £310 on Ribble. They do finance. Pretty sure another major online retailer would price match, and they might do 0% finance on top. I like mine well enough, big improvement over the wheels that came with the bike.

I know a lot of people got them for way less on some mistaken price-matching by Wiggle.

The Hunt ones look like nice, but I think there's a long lead time.
  • ugo.santalucia
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pro-lite revo a21 are still "only" £310 on Ribble. They do finance. Pretty sure another major online retailer would price match, and they might do 0% finance on top. I like mine well enough, big improvement over the wheels that came with the bike.

I know a lot of people got them for way less on some mistaken price-matching by Wiggle.

The PRO-lite crack at the rim hole... seen a lot of photos
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    hopkinb wrote:

The PRO-lite crack at the rim hole... seen a lot of photos

Mine have done around 2-3000 miles each now. In awful conditions including CX, one tubeless, the other now.

No issues.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • hopkinb
    Mine haven't yet in 2000 miles of winter riding, but I'll keep an eye. Rim hole as in where the valve goes?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Conditions are irrelevant to rim fracture... load is very relevant and the guy is 16 stone... I would not advise a crack-prone rim to a heavy guy. The shape of the rim lends itself to cracking at the holes.
    There are better rims than Archetype, but none that is as robust at the same weight
  • hopkinb
    Conditions are irrelevant to rim fracture... load is very relevant and the guy is 16 stone... I would not advise a crack-prone rim to a heavy guy. The shape of the rim lends itself to cracking at the holes.
    There are better rims than Archetype, but none that is as robust at the same weight

Gotcha, I'm not a featherweight at 85kg, so will keep an eye.
  • bendertherobot

Generalisation is not relevant to rim fracture either.
  • ugo.santalucia

Generalisation is not relevant to rim fracture either.

It is... V rims are inherently more robust as the nipple bed is thicker... rims with a flat bed normally make use of double eyelets to avoid the problem... if a rim has neither it needs a very thick rim bed to avoid fracture, otherwise fatigue is almost a given. Fatigue is proportional to load and cycles... hence rider weight and mileage
  • bendertherobot
    Ok, so, how many Revo have broken..........that's what you stated. You've seen lots of photos. LOTS. Can we see them?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ok, so, how many Revo have broken..........that's what you stated. You've seen lots of photos. LOTS. Can we see them?

2 or 3 folks just on this forum. It's not the point. My opinion is that a rim with that section is prone to cracking, the vast majority of cracked rims I have seen are light flat rim bed with no eyelets or single eyelets. My opinion is that it is not suitable for a heavy guy... it is my opinion, then everyone can do as they please... there is a warranty that covers that and I would like to think even outside warranty Wiggle or PRO lite would do something to address the customer.

Personally, I would not buy them or build a set of wheels on that rim for myself... better?
  • bendertherobot
    Your point was that THEY break. Which implies all of them. Moderation see, not generalisation ;)

I'm heavy mind. And by all conditions I include cross which, one assumes, puts even more stress on them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Your point was that THEY break. Which implies all of them. Moderation see, not generalisation ;)

I'm heavy mind. And by all conditions I include cross which, one assumes, puts even more stress on them.

It doesn't, unless you ride on very hard, rooty terrain... but even there, you have the very soft tyres acting as a dampener.

My point is that they are not advisable for a heavy guy... they might break they might not, there are options which are less likely to break
  • bendertherobot

It doesn't, unless you ride on very hard, rooty terrain... but even there, you have the very soft tyres acting as a dampener.

My point is that they are not advisable for a heavy guy... they might break they might not, there are options which are less likely to break

I do. And will do so next week in Battle of the Beach again with lots of variable conditions. And much of my off road IS hard, rocky terrain. And they are still unbroken.

Your point is that these are from rims of a type that is more likely to break than a V shaped rim. That's somewhat different to your assertion that 'they break'
  • bendertherobot
    In the interests of balance mind, I'd not buy them because they are an utter bugger to put tyres on.