BB30 to BSA adaptor to Hollowtech ii

sextoke1
sextoke1 Posts: 133
edited March 2017 in Workshop
I have a Focus Cayo 2.0 2015 running Shimano 6870 11 speed. My bottom bracket system is a BB30 to BSA Sram adaptor with Shimano bearing cups screwed into the adaptor. Everything is fine at the moment, but shortly I will need to replace the bearings. Do I have to remove the adaptor to do this, is is just pressed in or glued. Is this the best method for my bike or do I have other options......info, cadence is normally around 75rpm. speed is between 25 & 28 km/h. Climbing is roughly 300mtrs every 40 km. Rider weight is around 95kgs. Distance per year 5000km. 52/36 crank with 11/28 cassette. Not a lot of riding out of the saddle only when hilly.

Comments

• PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    If it is PF30 to BSA, then these instructions are similar

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.net ... dapter.pdf
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It is pressed in - so you can just remove the BB and replace it.

Other than that you can get single piece complete BBs - they thread together in the middle. They're a slightly neater solution but if what you have isn't causing any trouble I'd leave it alone and just replace the Shimano cups.

If you decide to replace the whole thing then you'd probably have to press out the adaptor.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • PK1
    I have been told you need to remove the adapter to replace the BB. The adapter needs to be held in a wrench / vice when undoing and installing the cups.
  • k-dog
    ^I'm not sure that makes sense - you would need to remove at least one side of the BB to get it out. I've never seen one where you fit the cups to the sleeve not in the bike.
  • PK1
    Well that's what the PDF instructions tell you to do. Maybe the adapter will move as you try and undo the cups ?
  • k-dog
    So they do - that's PF30 though - I was thinking of this sort of thing, a BB30 sleeve:

p-1826-bb30adapter.jpg
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    if its a carbon frame it is a NO NO to remove.
  • PK1
    Depends which adapter it is. The one on my Focus Cayo disc is removable
  • sextoke1
    My bottom bracket does not look like the one in the image. My one is the same as the one in Chain Reaction part no SKU271762. I have changed the cups once with no movement in the Sram adaptor. My main question was if there is any other options out there and which ones are better? As my bike runs on 6870 DI2, I need to be aware that some day due to a fault or if I damage a cable, I will have to take out this adaptor to get at the 4 way cable joint.
  • PK1
    That's the one I have too. So you just managed to undo the cups with the adapter still in the frame ? Praxis do a PF30 to BSA adapter too. They are supposed to be good, but much more expensive than replacing the Shimano cups.
  • k-dog
    If you want to be able to take it out you want one of those thread together adaptors - either the Praxis one or there are a few others. They are a bit more expensive but would solve that problem - but either way you're going to have to press out the existing tube so either do it now and then you can get at it or save the money and do it when you have to.
  • sextoke1
    k-dog wrote:
    If you want to be able to take it out you want one of those thread together adaptors - either the Praxis one or there are a few others. They are a bit more expensive but would solve that problem - but either way you're going to have to press out the existing tube so either do it now and then you can get at it or save the money and do it when you have to.
    In the next four weeks I will remove the adaptor, I will leave the Shimano bearing cups screwed in and remove the adaptor with my Park Tool BB90.3. Does it matter which side you knock out first ? Does the Focus Cayo 2015 have a clear opening the whole way, I see on the Praxis to look out for any internal rings within the opening. I seem to see the only webb site that has them is Bike24, €80 for the steel bearings version and €180 for the Ceramic version, is this an advantage or is it a waste ? I do a bit of wet cycling over the winter, my roads would be a bit fooded when it rains as well.
  • k-dog
    If there's an adaptor in there already I would expect there to not be a ridge in the shell - it wouldn't allow the tub all the way through.
  • sextoke1
    k-dog wrote:
    If there's an adaptor in there already I would expect there to not be a ridge in the shell - it wouldn't allow the tub all the way through.
    The Sram one that is in there is narrow in the middle section, if there was a ridge the adaptor would pass over it. I will not know till I remove it.
  • k-dog
    But doesn't it just go in from one side - so the widest part wouldn't go over the ridge?

That's why separate screw together ones work with a ridge - the wide parts are on the outside and the narrower centre section clears the ridge.
  • sextoke1
    k-dog wrote:
    But doesn't it just go in from one side - so the widest part wouldn't go over the ridge?

That's why separate screw together ones work with a ridge - the wide parts are on the outside and the narrower centre section clears the ridge.
    I have a picture of it, but I do not knowv how to put it up on this site. It is not like the picture above.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Here's an engineering drawing of a BB30 shell that I made. The centre section should be at a slightly larger diameter than the bearing landings. However this is dependent on whether they frame manufacturer followed the Cannondale standard to the letter.

BB30Shell.PNG

The PDF is here

http://www.hambini.com/downloads/
  • sextoke1
    hambini wrote:
    Here's an engineering drawing of a BB30 shell that I made. The centre section should be at a slightly larger diameter than the bearing landings. However this is dependent on whether they frame manufacturer followed the Cannondale standard to the letter.

BB30Shell.PNG

The PDF is here

http://www.hambini.com/downloads/
    Thanks for that, I saw your BB example that you did on a lathe, on You tube last week, keep up the good work. I have now removed the Sram adaptor and I put my hand up...PF30 not BB30. I am going to order a Praxis bb30/pf30 conversion bottom bracket as I thing this will be better to remove from time to time to dry out the inner frame. My DI2 joint box, is very wet and the cables. It has done two years service and put up around 9,000 kms. Sram pf30 adaptor needed a bit of effort to get out and the matting surfaces were dry with no evidence of grease.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    On plastic cups, it's my opinion they should put retaining compound on them to stop them creaking. I have never understood why grease is required on nylon because nylon is self lubricating.

On your praxis adaptor there is a small lip that forms part of the expansion wedge. You don't really want to be taking it out repeatedly because unlike most other bottom brackets it is made of steel and not aluminium. So it's a bit heavier but much harder so it acts like a scraper.

Hambini
  • sextoke1
    hambini wrote:
    On plastic cups, it's my opinion they should put retaining compound on them to stop them creaking. I have never understood why grease is required on nylon because nylon is self lubricating.

On your praxis adaptor there is a small lip that forms part of the expansion wedge. You don't really want to be taking it out repeatedly because unlike most other bottom brackets it is made of steel and not aluminium. So it's a bit heavier but much harder so it acts like a scraper.

Hambini
    Thanks for that. I have got the Praxis bottom bracket now, So we will try it for a while. What was driving this was the connections that are inside the frame that require the BB to be removed if you need to check it out, or if you damage the exposed cables to the derailleurs, with mech group sets you do not have this problem.