Milan San Remo 2017 - Spoilers

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited March 2017 in Pro race
I'll start the yearly is Cav sand bagging thread. For the record I think he is, I fancy Ben Swift
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Why wouldn't you, he's a good looking boy
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Why wouldn't you, he's a good looking boy
    Hat!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    MSR_16_alt-1-1024x663.jpg

MSR_16_plan-1-926x1024.jpg

Provisional start list
    http://www.milanosanremo.it/en/news/gli ... o-sanremo/

12110006916282 BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos A. COL MPA alert!
  • ^the Podgy-o
  • imatfaal
    Weather at present looks not too bad. Warm and not much chance of rain. Winds will be mild cross wind to start, headwind on way to Genova, and crosswind again on the coast to San Remo
  • imatfaal
    ^the Podgy-o

Chapeau!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    imatfaal wrote:
    Weather at present looks not too bad. Warm and not much chance of rain. Winds will be mild cross wind to start, headwind on way to Genova, and crosswind again on the coast to San Remo

Wind coming in off the coast from the South East bodes well for the Poggio. South West less so.

finish.jpg
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Got to stick all my money on Si Clarke. Carlton said he's a shoe-in for it :?
  • SPaM02 wrote:
    Got to stick all my money on Si Clarke. Carlton said he's a shoe-in for it :?

Glad to have you with us. And if not Si, then Uran will take it in a sprint.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Im hoping for a Cav win but also a fan of Sagan. Not sure if he's fully over his illness but wasn't doing too bad last few stages of Tirenno.

First classic of the season so lets hope this is a classic race
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,507
    The Pro Tour Pundits are piling in on Gaviria. As an ex-my-man I'm not sure whether to wish him well or not. But anyway, why is everyone so convinced that he will get over the Poggio?
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    The Pro Tour Pundits are piling in on Gaviria. As an ex-my-man I'm not sure whether to wish him well or not. But anyway, why is everyone so convinced that he will get over the Poggio?

Cos he hared over it last year
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    TheBigBean wrote:

Demare was motoring on the climbs as well last year....
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,507
    TheBigBean wrote:

Ah, now I remember. He crashed. Last year was quite a sizeable bunch though.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Well I've got Kristoff, Cort and Lobato in my fantasy team so they can be discounted.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Joelsim wrote:
    Well I've got Kristoff, Cort and Lobato in my fantasy team so they can be discounted.

Not such great minds, eh? :wink:

If Gaviria can't get over the Podgy O pretty near the front, then the other sprinters have no chance.
    The boy won a semi proper mountain stage in San Loo last year.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Would love a Cavendish win, but I think Sagan is really starting to put things together more and more and more. On races he actually really wants to win he doesn't even pull like crazy at the front like he does on races he is in contention for, for giggles.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    TheBigBean wrote:

Demare was motoring on the climbs as well last year....

:D 'allegedly' :D
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    I thought Demare was just hanging on for dear life last year.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I'm hoping we'll see plenty of action over the Capos and Cipressa with riders who have no chance in straight sprint against some of the big guns really committing early. Nibali has been good value for this in the past most teams seem happy to try and get a fast man into the finale.

If not that then Sagan breaking clear at the top of the Poggio and hurtling down the other side pursued by a small group would be fun to watch.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Yeh, last year was a weird one because the bunch almost soft-pedalled up most of the Poggio. If it hadn't been for the crash then the front group would have been around 40 riders strong, which says it all really.
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Yeh, last year was a weird one because the bunch almost soft-pedalled up most of the Poggio. If it hadn't been for the crash then the front group would have been around 40 riders strong, which says it all really.

Was cos there were so many crashes.

Not enough team mates to turn the heat on.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Supposedly there will be a tailwind on the Poggio, so aggressive racing expected.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Supposedly there will be a tailwind on the Poggio, so aggressive racing expected.

So who's gonna attack on the Poggio then?

Phil Gil, GvA, Kiwa.

Any others? Maybe Thomas.

Phil is a dead cert as he can free up the help for Gavaria.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Phil Gil, GvA, Kiwa.

Si Clarke, obviously.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm hoping we'll see plenty of action over the Capos and Cipressa with riders who have no chance in straight sprint against some of the big guns really committing early. Nibali has been good value for this in the past most teams seem happy to try and get a fast man into the finale.

If not that then Sagan breaking clear at the top of the Poggio and hurtling down the other side pursued by a small group would be fun to watch.

Gotta be careful on the old run down into San Remo.

Else you'll be THIS ANGRY
    _gZSj9.gif
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    RichN95 wrote:

Phil Gil, GvA, Kiwa.

No Thomas
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Phil Gil, GvA, Kiwa.

No Thomas

How come? Not riding?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Phil Gil, GvA, Kiwa.

No Thomas

How come? Not riding?

Indeed. GT going all out to convince himself he's a GT rider, by not doing any 1 dayers at all possibly.
  • rick_chasey
    Shame.

He's good value.

If you could put money on who'd attack on the Cipressa, i'd give you short odds for Stannard. He went along with a decent Movistar rider last year who's name escapes me.