Photography Thread

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    rjsterry wrote:
    I like the collage effect of the different signs, posts and pylons - particularly the speed limit sign as a kind of bull's eye - as well as what that photo says about the history of that bit of the world.
    That was the intention - cram as much man-made stuff into the frame as possible. Makes a change to my 'pretty' photos of the countryside.

Nice lavender photo, BTW - I like the out-of-focus person at the back, and you've avoided the cliched shot I was trying to find.

Thanks, BT. I'll pass that on to Mrs RJS. On the pylons and other man-made features in the landscape, if you every find yourself over that way, the South Wales Valleys are quite interesting for that. There are quite a few remnants of the mining industry, plus the rows of terraced houses set against quite rugged scenery.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    I've been wanting to experiment with some more candid stuff for a while. First attempt.

33443052385_50e47161ce_c.jpgLunch by Jon, on Flickr
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    :) I really like that.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • narbs
    Cheers Ben!

When I got the scans back I thought at first it needed to be more central. But with the guy on the right looking up the space gives him something to look into, maybe watching the woman who's reflecting in the glass.

I think my Olympus Trip is perfect for this sort of thing - pretty much silent, zone focussing and small so it's unobtrusive.

I do find it quite nerve-wracking though!
  • Ben6899
    narbs wrote:
    Cheers Ben!

When I got the scans back I thought at first it needed to be more central. But with the guy on the right looking up the space gives him something to look into, maybe watching the woman who's reflecting in the glass.

I think my Olympus Trip is perfect for this sort of thing - pretty much silent, zone focussing and small so it's unobtrusive.

The composition is spot on, IMO. If it was central etc it would look staged.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    Cheers Ben!

The composition is spot on, IMO. If it was central etc it would look staged.
    Absolutely. Really like the composition.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    The composition is good, but it needs to be straightened.
    Just in my opinion. Like! :P
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The composition is good, but it needs to be straightened.
    Just in my opinion. Like! :P

Just tilt your head you twit.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • narbs
    Thanks all, I'll get out and try and get some more!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Pinno wrote:
    Spelling mistake?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have some fungus shots from the woods around my home, I will up load when i have access to my laptop.

A few of a storm rising over meon hill as well, which for me are pretty good.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Spelling mistake?

Very droll.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    33079387040_b8a6ea9bac_h.jpg

Tony Martin winning the 2016 Tour Of Britain TT in Bristol

32619355164_187f41936f_o.jpg

Warm and fuzzy

33334844141_0085045b06_b.jpg

Bangkok drain

33422340106_ac548da36f_b.jpg

Monk

33079512040_8a5e8436b0_b.jpg

Coloured glass
  • pinno
    I like the shot in Bangkok. I also like the Tony Martin shot knowing how difficult it is to take pics of a cyclist (or any moving object).
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Hadn't noticed this thread before. My interests don't seem to overlap so no cycling in mine - just landscapes which are my thing.

A few from fairly recently - except the last one which is a favorite from a few years ago:

31819077032_8d0e5bb2b5_c.jpg

31146182914_917118ca4b_c.jpg

30348475890_f7190bce55_c.jpg

29471948234_723a929011_c.jpg

28890597010_7c9ba2032c_c.jpg
    (a composite of about 35 shots to get rid of the millions of people on a bank holiday weekend!)

28571161505_9de46a5133_c.jpg

28571756875_7b7c95afc2_c.jpg

24120024052_f2cfe9fa65_c.jpg
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • narbs
    Nice k-dog - love the second and seventh in particular. I always seem to forget foreground interest when trying out landscapes.
  • k-dog
    Thanks, I've been a bit obsessed with hyperfocal focus for the last 6 months or so and have been trying to get more interesting foregrounds.

The mossy wall/castle one annoys me a bit though as the castle is so small - I like the framing but with hindsight I would have tried a longer lens further back to compress the distance a bit - if the castle was bigger in the middle it would be a bit better.
  • rjsterry
    k-dog wrote:
    Thanks, I've been a bit obsessed with hyperfocal focus for the last 6 months or so and have been trying to get more interesting foregrounds.

The mossy wall/castle one annoys me a bit though as the castle is so small - I like the framing but with hindsight I would have tried a longer lens further back to compress the distance a bit - if the castle was bigger in the middle it would be a bit better.

I think that's it, or possibly that neither the mossy wall nor the castle quite take the lead. Really like the black and white view of the same castle. Edit: Actually, I like all the B&W shots.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    Really, really nice shots k-dog. They have mood in abundance (bar the city shot) and a beautiful grainy B&W shot of the castle.
    Is that Kilchurn Castle?
  • k-dog
    Yes, Kilchurn Castle. Went out for the day a few months ago - and it was rubbish, all foggy and a dull grey sky. This was our last stop and it was great - the clouds were at just the right height to add atmosphere without obscuring anything (other than perfectly covering the pylons that go behind the castle!). Really still so you got good reflections in the water too.
  • pinno
    I have been passed it once and it was pouring with rain.

I have been through Glen Coe a dozen times and only once got to see the top of the craggy hills. I think it's better, covered in mist - no sight of the top.
    I'd love to get a chance of pictures of Loch Maree and surrounding area. When the toots are a little older, i'll be taking my bike and my camera and disappearing.
  • k-dog
    I took a shot of the Buachaille about 2 hours earlier - and you could see about a third of the way up. It was amazing how things changed.

The only thing that annoys me about that one is that the mountain is slightly fuzzyt - I think it was about a 30s exposure and the impact of the water makes the ground shake just enough to give some motion blur. Next time I'm going to take a separate shot of the background and blend them.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,689
    Cracking photos, k-dog! Your beach one reminded me of one I took in Weymouth when I'd first bought my Sony HX50, and I was trying out the zoom and image stabilisation. I took this one as a test, but ended up finding it rather interesting, as I have no idea who they are (they were about 500m away), and the photo giving no idea that the 'swimming in gold' effect was from the setting sun.

gold.jpg
  • narbs
    Popped across to Trafalgar Square last Thursday to the vigil following Wednesday's attack.

Very quiet, sombre atmosphere as you'd expect, with as many journalists as members of the public it seemed.

Shot on Ilford HP5.

32836500704_897f8d8bed_c.jpg

33679718275_fedc34a7a9_c.jpg

32836504054_f6972592a2_c.jpg
  • Ben6899
    Love the first one. All three are nice, but I love the grain in the first one - suits the subject and mood.
    Ben

• narbs
    Cheers Ben, I like the first one too :)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Yeah, I like them. Shame you missed the top of the thumb on the second - although maybe that would look a bit 'forced'. I like the figures on the fountain dancing in the background.
  • Not sure if this is the right thread or if it's already been covered here, but can anyone recommend some photo editing software. Something like Photoshop Elements, but a bit cheaper, maybe even free!
  • k-dog
    You can get photoshop CS2 for free from Adobe - they released the old one a few years ago when they want to a subscription model.

The latest one has nice features but CS2 is still decent software.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Something thats cheaper than elements and at a pro level is Serif Affinity Photo 1.5 can be had for about £40.

I'm stil using CS2 but it probably doesn't run on windows 10. My version of Lightroom, which I run on a windows 10 laptop, doesn't run on my old desktop.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"