8 speed chainset with 11 speed chain is it possible?

drwae
drwae Posts: 223
edited November 2017 in Workshop
I am moving a 105 11 speed groupset (minus chainset) onto a bike that currently has Claris 8 speed with a FSA Vero chainset. This is the bike https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV214047
I prefer not to change the chainset as I don't have the tools for this I would have to have it done at my LBS and they will charge me £15 for it. The only spare 11 speed chainset I have is another heavily used FSA so I would prefer to keep the brand new FSA Vero. Also I am concerned about messing with it as I'm not sure if the "FSA Cartridge" press fit bb will just fall into pieces :)
Has anyone used 8 speed chainset with 11 speed chain successfully?

Comments

• drwae
    The chainset is marked as for 5-9 speed
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Not quite what you want but I run 10 speed Veloce with 8 speed FSA crankset.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    http://www.velonews.com/2016/01/bikes-a ... red_392163

In other words, the internal width of an 11-speed chain is the same as the internal width of a 5-speed chain; it's the outside width that has changed. Accordingly, an 11-speed chain will work on an 8-speed chainset (the chain will fit over the teeth) but you may find changing between chainrings is not as slick, because the gap between them is larger on an 8-speed chainset than an 11-speed and the chain is narrower.
  • drwae
    Ok thank you. That is reassuring that it will work but given how bad FSA chainring shifting is in the first place I'm not sure how it will be if it gets any worse! :):)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    drwae wrote:
    given how bad FSA chainring shifting is in the first place

Got to say, I have used both FSA Vero & tempo and never had an issue with shifting. Both performed flawlessly.

Might be worth checking your front mech is set up correctly.
  • drwae
    redvision wrote:
    drwae wrote:
    given how bad FSA chainring shifting is in the first place

Got to say, I have used both FSA Vero & tempo and never had an issue with shifting. Both performed flawlessly.

Might be worth checking your front mech is set up correctly.
    I had FSA Omega on my nice bike it was always shifting clunky on the front and took a couple of seconds to engage the new chainring, the moment I changed the chainset to Red 22 it became completely silent and smooth now the front shifting is just as smooth as the rear (not hyperbole)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Try it and see - if it works then great, if the shifting sucks then change the chainset.

Just be careful that you don't end up with the chain falling between the rings and getting stuck - with 'interesting' consequences......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • drwae
    I tried this for the first time today on a 90km ride

FSA Vero 5-9 speed compact chainset
    KMC X11 chain

Shifting is a bit more noisy than on my other bike but maybe that's just the cheaper chainset compared to the SRAM Red22 on the other one. And there is a slightly bigger teeth difference as the FSA is compact.

I didn't experience any significant issues, at one point I was switching from the small ring to the big ring and it felt like something caught and it jerked my handlebars slightly and then recovered

I'll just keep it how it is, it would get expensive to change the chainset as the FSA Vero is square taper so it'd involve a new bottom bracket as well...
  • 964cup
    drwae wrote:
    I tried this for the first time today on a 90km ride

FSA Vero 5-9 speed compact chainset
    KMC X11 chain

Shifting is a bit more noisy than on my other bike but maybe that's just the cheaper chainset compared to the SRAM Red22 on the other one. And there is a slightly bigger teeth difference as the FSA is compact.

I didn't experience any significant issues, at one point I was switching from the small ring to the big ring and it felt like something caught and it jerked my handlebars slightly and then recovered

I'll just keep it how it is, it would get expensive to change the chainset as the FSA Vero is square taper so it'd involve a new bottom bracket as well...
    SPA Cycles sell a Sugino XD2 square taper chainset with a variety of chainrings for as little as £50. The question is whether your BB has the right length axle. I fitted one of these to my recent Vitus 979 build and they're pretty good, especially given how cheap they are. Mind you, Shimano 105 HT2 BBs are hardly expensive, and neither is a 105 crankset...
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    FSA Vero uses the same BB length as Stronglight (supposed it's also a double or triple set).i.e.107- 110 mm for double.
  • 964cup
    Then the SPA chainset would be a direct replacement. Although I suspect it'll be fine with the Vero and a bit more dialling in of the front shift.
  • drwae
    I wouldn't change to another square taper to be honest - if I was to change from FSA Vero I'd change the bottom bracket as well and put a 105 chainset to match the rest of the groupset.
    However, I've already spent way too much money on this bike now, so FSA Vero will stay.
  • If you bought the 105 groupset, did you not get the BB and chainset anyway? If so, it's only the cost of BB tool to remove the old BB, and re-install the BB supplied with the 105 groupset, then put on the 105 chainset.
  • drwae
    If you bought the 105 groupset, did you not get the BB and chainset anyway? If so, it's only the cost of BB tool to remove the old BB, and re-install the BB supplied with the 105 groupset, then put on the 105 chainset.
    No, i took the 105 group from my main bike after upgrading it to ultegra and that bike is bb30
  • drwae
    My chain jammed today switching from the big to small ring going uphill. If it happens again I think I will cough up the money to replace with a hollow tech ii BB and 105 chainset
  • galego
    galego Posts: 15
    Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I find myself doing the same in the same bike, well mine is the 2017 model with the sora.

I purchased a whole 105 groupset and I am also doubtful about the crankset.

Did you get on with the Vero crankset at the day? Did you change it?

From my research, these bikes come with a bb30a. I found a FSA bb30a reducer which I am considering to fit and then the 105 shimano but not sure how good solution that may be.
  • I have a couple of touring bikes using 11-speed MTB chain/cassette with Sugino XD cranks. The chainring spacing on the cranks is for 7/8sp chain, but I haven't had any problems with the front shifting. Using TA 110BCD chainrings that are marked as being 9/10speed.