New brake pads.....

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, after some new pads for XT M785 disc brakes, first time I've ever had to buy new pads so not sure which ones?

After reasonably priced, long lasting....the standard pads have been great and lasted 3 years but not sure what material they are?? Mainly XC, ride right through winter so they get wet/gritty at times.

Any recommendations?? Thanks :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Superstar Kevlar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    cooldad wrote:
    Superstar Kevlar.

Out of stock :roll:
  • When you buy the brake brand new, it comes with organic pads. For XC, organic is typically perfectly fine, since you don't engage the brakes as often. Metalic is for no joke performance.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Uberbike race matrix are good. I put a set in my XT brakes after the originals became contaminated. They are much better than the original Shimano pads.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    I tried Uberbike (organic ones) when SS were out of stock (I'm seeing a pattern here) but they were awful.

Binned them as soon as SS came back in. I've never tried the Race Matrix though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When you buy the brake brand new, it comes with organic pads. For XC, organic is typically perfectly fine, since you don't engage the brakes as often. Metalic is for no joke performance.
    Simply no, metallic is longer lasting in bad conditions, in fact its performance on extended downhill's is worse than organic as it has a significant performance drop off with temperature earlier than organic.

For XC use on many UK routes you will trash organic with the sandy/gritty mud.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    When you buy the brake brand new, it comes with organic pads. For XC, organic is typically perfectly fine, since you don't engage the brakes as often. Metalic is for no joke performance.
    Simply no, metallic is longer lasting in bad conditions, in fact its performance on extended downhill's is worse than organic as it has a significant performance drop off with temperature earlier than organic.

For XC use on many UK routes you will trash organic with the sandy/gritty mud.

Not sure about temperature performance drop levels, but organic brake pads will heat the rotors up faster than metallic ones (as metallic conduct heat into the caliper as well and sometimes the pads are fitted with heatsinks). However, the heat in the caliper can be a problem, as that itself will have effect on performance and in extreme cases can lead to catastrophic brake failures. So the question really is what will happen sooner.

Metallic pads may often feel like the brake lever is an on/off switch on flat or mixed trails, while organic will seem to not even work initially on fast descents and will not have as much total stopping power. Personally, I prefer the former, though I'm more into climb/descend XC type riding than gravity oriented riding. I do a lot of riding on flat and the feel of sintered pads (at least with the brakes I had at the time) was somewhat uncomfortable.

I agree, however, that weather conditions in UK might be a serious enough argument for getting sintered pads, even at the cost of wearing the rotors down faster.
  • JGTR
    No chance of me overheating brakes, pretty much flat XC mostly, it's the grit and sand I ride in that will do most damage so I'll look at sintered pads, thanks
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:
    I tried Uberbike (organic ones) when SS were out of stock (I'm seeing a pattern here) but they were awful.

Binned them as soon as SS came back in. I've never tried the Race Matrix though.

Never had a problem with them, much better than kevlar that i couldnt get a long with just seemed to glaze too easily.

Uberbike semi metallic work great for me in my xt 785 brakes.

To op just get which ever you want from either superstar or uberbike.

Think superstar offer a 40 day thing if you dont like them send em back for a different compound.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I got sent Superstar kevlar pads when they were out of stock of sintered pads, I haven't been too impressed with the longevity compared to the sintered pads.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cooldad
    That's because they are not sintered pads. They aren't designed to long lasting. They do stop you though, which is a good thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools