Just had a great idea!!

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited March 2017 in MTB general
Saw this from OneUp

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... tem-49345/

Had this great idea, why not have 2 chain rings on the front and some kind of mechanism that moves the chain from one to the other.......or even 3 chain rings? Think I'm going to patent it and sell it to the bike companies and make millions :lol::lol::lol:

FFS what's the point of going from double to single chainrings then making a mechanism to change chain rings again......seems stoopid to me :?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You clearly did not understand the concept.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JGTR
    robertpb wrote:
    You clearly did not understand the concept.

Clearly not
  • For racing situations, it might be a worthwhile investment, since they go to stuff like attaching rotors with just three bolts in order to save time, but for someone at home? Hardly. Unless they have money to burn.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    For racing situations, it might be a worthwhile investment, since they go to stuff like attaching rotors with just three bolts in order to save time, but for someone at home? Hardly. Unless they have money to burn.

Does that not sum up a large chunk of the manufacturers perceived market, in all forms of cycling, of late?
  • Bojangle
    Bojangle Posts: 63
    So they have created a solution to a problem that only became a problem because they created a solution for a problem that wasn't a problem. What's next a bike you don't have to pedal as much..........................wait!!!! :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The irony is most racers use direct mount to save weight.....

You aren't changing a ring mid race anyway, so I can't see it taking 5 minutes instead of 2 being a real issue!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I think its quite a good idea, I use a 30t chainring for general riding but could use something bigger for days in the bike park. I know it would be far less hassle than taking my cranks off to replace a ring.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't have to take your cranks off to remove a bolted on ring, additionally that design won't do a 30t 104mm as its not bolted through like a 32 upwards....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bojangle wrote:
    So they have created a solution to a problem that only became a problem because they created a solution for a problem that wasn't a problem. What's next a bike you don't have to pedal as much..........................wait!!!! :?

Ha! Bang on, was just thinking the same.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I quite like the idea ... in the fact that I run my CX bike as a road bike and as a of road bike and having a different chain ring is rather useful.

But .... it only takes a couple of minutes to change a ring anyway .... 5 bolts, slip chain ring off, put new one on, do up bolts
  • JGTR
    It's a useful idea for some people, but it's not the revolutionary answer to the problem that we all have that isn't actually a problem at all.