Joanna Rowsell Shand

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited March 2017 in Pro race
Jo Rowsell Shand announces her retirement. And posts one of the best hauls around as twitter picture

324f3d_22455db77ff541d9ad5b24c67258a5d9~mv2.jpg
Joanna Rowsell Shand

It's been one hell of a ride! THANK YOU everyone
https://www.joannarowsell.com/single-po ... nnoucement

Comments

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Good luck to her, she's always been a class act on and off the bike.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Good on her! Judging from the Olympics she has a good potential career in TV should she want it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Yup. And I do hope she keeps that lot in a bank somewhere.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Super Jo

Great rider, and comes across as an equally great person
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Wishing her the best. A great rider who seemed to sail under the radar a bit.
    I think she will make a great Coach if that's what she decides to do. Popular, knowledgeable, not afraid to speak her mind and a tough cookie (with a softer side).
    Just the sort of person that BC could do with in the current climate.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    She will be sorely missed.
    Thanks the BC staff for being great.
    Always been very complimentary towards Becky and gave good, honest tv analysis on her days off!
    With her record and being married, 28 would seem the perfect age to sign off.
    Unfortunately, I think she probably won't be the only one to call it a day.

The Beebs bit:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39265637

A pity about some of the appalling (and now removed) comments that appeared very early on.
    Mud sticking where it clearly shouldn't.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • spam02
    She will be sorely missed.
    Thanks the BC staff for being great.
    Always been very complimentary towards Becky and gave good, honest tv analysis on her days off!
    With her record and being married, 28 would seem the perfect age to sign off.
    Unfortunately, I think she probably won't be the only one to call it a day.

The Beebs bit:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39265637

A pity about some of the appalling (and now removed) comments that appeared very early on.
    Mud sticking where it clearly shouldn't.

Yep, unfortunately the comments section appears to be frequented by a load of Daily Mail readers
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,601
    Great athlete and role model. Hope she enjoys a great career in the future.

Met her a couple of times when my daughter was autograph/picture hunting and she was absolutely charming - that said, I've not yet a pro cyclist who hasn't been.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • SPaM02 wrote:
    I think she will make a great Coach if that's what she decides to do. Popular, knowledgeable, not afraid to speak her mind and a tough cookie (with a softer side).

Ironically I suspect that the crap and agenda dominating at the moment are factors in her calling it a day
  • spam02
    SPaM02 wrote:

Ironically I suspect that the crap and agenda dominating at the moment are factors in her calling it a day

A real shame if that's the case - though I did wonder as 28 seems quite young for an endurance rider to be retiring.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I'm another one who always thought she was a class act, and hopefully this won't be the last we see of her.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    SPaM02 wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:

A real shame if that's the case - though I did wonder as 28 seems quite young for an endurance rider to be retiring.

but you forget shes been riding competitively since she was 16 and she would have had 3 olympic golds if theyd had a Team Pursuit in Beijing, there is a point at which all the riders have to decide can you commit to another 4more years of excluding everything, putting your life on hold whilst your non cycling friends grow up etc etc, for another medal, or is there something else they can turn their drive/ambition towards doing,

I noted she took more time off the bike after Rio than the other team pursuit teamsters, including Laura, in a way that makes me think she has been considering this for a while longer than the current situation has blown up so I dont think it has much if anything to do about it personally.

always admired her on the track and off it, class person, phenomenal athlete, someone we can all aspire to be like.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ^That, and she never really made much of an effort to become a road rider either - which is fine!

Doing a Dani King would have been a logical step for her but if she doesnt want to, why would she?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    All power to her. Elite sport is a tough place and there's more to life.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format