Photography Thread

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Pinno wrote:
    You're not posting what you think is a good pic, you're just trying to wind people up.

Nice pic BTW. Could have lost a bit more of that concrete though.

Pfft. It's practically summer here anyway. That shadow bottom left is a bit niggle, but that is a beautifully blue sky.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Yep, if you use the scroll function, you can get a wonderful deep blue reduction to light blue with nothing else in the frame.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Same walk

DSC04946.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rjsterry
    Very nice.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    More bloody concrete!

Are those the Cork trees T47?
  • rjsterry
    What's wrong with concrete?

The smooth curves of the wall makes a nice contrast with the irregularities of the trunks.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry wrote:
    What's wrong with concrete?

The smooth curves of the wall makes a nice contrast with the irregularities of the trunks.

S'alright, I just like having a pop at T47. He can be very annoying due to his array of skills, his attention to detail, his literary knowledge, his silicone beading technique, his general knowledge...

I once went all the way to see him just to see if he actually exists and wasn't some Google program or a board of 10 wise men.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    Pinno wrote:
    More bloody concrete!

Are those the Cork trees T47?
    How about tarmac instead?

img_20170217_114304179_hdrblog.jpg
  • briantrumpet
    Actually, looking from the top of the mountain on the left, this is a touristy photo that I was quite pleased with:

DSC02154.20141231blog.jpg
  • rjsterry
    That's quite enough of that mountains in glorious sunshine nonsense :)

H_IQJYsw2fPDorRoX2cpPXLNRD1-jKx3lamT776IrFQt6QGhqRhY_E5LXD_etqmfMRQgyJOT5HuNX-rDycSuO7tyEPp9Cmge87bcUzkjpT_SNFwzseyCAhCVQgmGWQwQRGOQ-cmaxheoHtsbM08Nx5GotoTeARz6B3_MifntBt9pyTp1J6SVMb9FFGZK4vJgUQaX1gIVUDN7i18SQyVQZP8DR882xqQBgMxLIfFZZ9pIGnHyOsKYAlhalOoRy4S9ZVqzWVH5AmwzfBaeM95r4vbvEEZ89QCV4E7oKUCNZRbMMF1QzH2nl8X73M_gV2arJzQwVcjfcTKSQ7tnJcTaoDuvNd_8nNf0o4NR0sRhHFFUBhBbPlcKRy9uaDrOXQdhKLSK23lktKEB-qWcYssfAVXB66dIhKffFZc3fFqEMYlidlqD0L9GNCW1Qq0rA9jzHl--pxxVaD8ZIeYpL-UIzW_-y6DgDiXzug_1t-SpSijutxfVLZ9kNN6N6Yk2uXzs-MyEN1WEeGU9j5zgDM_pCwHorzA2_NdefBE3aEsoqCQSiyYyNZxuBX4S5D8e6GM54p_mUdDxq664eFmRA-SmHNyLQj5AirE1Rv0TV_OjCaN69qlG13lu6OUDykFO9n4rSsfgGiWR9MaZs-ziq9p-EvLISrXtfD4ZsWkP-ai-HP8=w1032-h1376-no
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjstery: Bournemouth, Brighton, South Coast? the pebbles remind me of the beach in Eastbourne.

France again BT? That's beautiful.

If I could only convince the OH to move there...
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    That's quite enough of that mountains in glorious sunshine nonsense :)
    I started looking for a concrete-featuring photo, but gave up.

Pinno - yes. Near Luc-en-Diois. They are walnut trees, BTW, one of the major 'industries' there. That, and Clairette de Die.
  • rjsterry
    Pinno wrote:
    rjstery: Bournemouth, Brighton, South Coast? the pebbles remind me of the beach in Eastbourne.

France again BT? That's beautiful.

If I could only convince the OH to move there...

Further west: Lyme Regis, the big breakwater at the eastern end of the beach.

BT, love the way the different fields on the valley floor echo the patches of snow on the rock in the foreground.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I find Spitalfields very inspiring for photography. It's a real mish mash of old housing, glazed high rise blocks, bankers, tourists...

33393420405_a27aa45f6c_k.jpgIn a pickle by Ben H, on Flickr
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Thanks for the various comments above. A few have led me down various interesting www rabbit holes...
    I understand the "take loads of pictures" approach but tend to enjoy photographing things that move - wildlife, pets, bikes - and so there isn't always the opportunity to shoot off dozens of pictures at different settings and then see what worked afterwards. Current approach is to ignore most of the settings on my camera and just play with aperture, speed and autofocus options to see how they change things. I need to also take more time to understand why some things don't work.
    Will get there in the end, and then this thread will be flooded with photos of my dog. She's beautiful!
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Some great images in this thread, nice work!

A couple more film ones, trying to see if they could form the basis of a project.

32531102203_b8b19b73d7_c.jpgLost Hat by Jon, on Flickr

33217520791_88c7aa2f63_c.jpgTower blocks, Bedford by Jon, on Flickr
  • briantrumpet
    Just cheering myself up on a gloomy afternoon...

To give rides a bit of focus, I sometimes set myself challenges. A couple last summer were to get nice shots of lavender and sunflowers.

The best lavender one was a bit of an experiment... still not sure it worked, and the 'rays' from the sun were an accident of the camera on the phone:

lavender.jpg

The runner-up was the more traditional along-the-rows type of shot, but I don't think there's quite enough interest, though the colour is good:

wp-1471079816829.jpg

I was quite pleased with the sunflowers one - I'd not normally put a horizontal block right across the frame, but i think it works here, contrasting with the shapes of the mountains and clouds:

wp-1470568563529.jpg

PS - I assume you all know that if you right-click on the image that you can see it full size.
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2017
    shazzz wrote:
    Thanks for the various comments above. A few have led me down various interesting www rabbit holes...
    I understand the "take loads of pictures" approach but tend to enjoy photographing things that move - wildlife, pets, bikes - and so there isn't always the opportunity to shoot off dozens of pictures at different settings and then see what worked afterwards. Current approach is to ignore most of the settings on my camera and just play with aperture, speed and autofocus options to see how they change things. I need to also take more time to understand why some things don't work.
    Will get there in the end, and then this thread will be flooded with photos of my dog. She's beautiful!
    If you like photographing animals, find somewhere that you can pretty much guarantee lots of them: local duckpond, greyhound track, even urban pigeons. They don't need to be 'pretty' to make interesting pictures.

@Ben6899, Like! Has a real murky, gritty feel to it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Just cheering myself up on a gloomy afternoon...

To give rides a bit of focus, I sometimes set myself challenges. A couple last summer were to get nice shots of lavender and sunflowers.

The best lavender one was a bit of an experiment... still not sure it worked, and the 'rays' from the sun were an accident of the camera on the phone:

lavender.jpg

The runner-up was the more traditional along-the-rows type of shot, but I don't think there's quite enough interest, though the colour is good:

wp-1471079816829.jpg

I was quite pleased with the sunflowers one - I'd not normally put a horizontal block right across the frame, but i think it works here, contrasting with the shapes of the mountains and clouds:

wp-1470568563529.jpg

PS - I assume you all know that if you right-click on the image that you can see it full size.
    Love the first one and a happy coincidence. Is it that tree right on the edge of the frame that's distracting?

I'm fortunate to have a lavender field up the road from me. No mountains in the background, but it does have a very picturesque lone oak in the centre. Will try and dig something out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    Love the first one and a happy coincidence. Is it that tree right on the edge of the frame that's distracting?
    Actually, I like the way that the tree on the right is almost a (smaller) carbon copy of the one on the left. I think my doubts are about the quality of the image, as it's all digital zoom, and hence rather fuzzy and, er, digital. I wished that morning that I had taken my proper camera. That's the beauty and frustration of photography - sometimes you can catch a scene as you've never seen it before (and will never see again), and other times you know you've missed that special shot, as the light isn't right, or you've not taken the right equipment.

EDIT - oh, do you mean the one right on the left of the frame? If yes, I see what you mean, but I'm not too bothered by that, as that's just where it is.

On the whole I like to make the best of what's there - my only regular 'cheat' in France is to give the pretence that there aren't electricty wires hanging all over the place. I'm actually thinking about turning that on its head one day, and doing a whole series of beautiful views spoilt by wires in all the wrong places...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Actually, I like the way that the tree on the right is almost a (smaller) carbon copy of the one on the left. I think my doubts are about the quality of the image, as it's all digital zoom, and hence rather fuzzy and, er, digital. I wished that morning that I had taken my proper camera. That's the beauty and frustration of photography - sometimes you can catch a scene as you've never seen it before (and will never see again), and other times you know you've missed that special shot, as the light isn't right, or you've not taken the right equipment.

EDIT - oh, do you mean the one right on the left of the frame? If yes, I see what you mean, but I'm not too bothered by that, as that's just where it is.

On the whole I like to make the best of what's there - my only regular 'cheat' in France is to give the pretence that there aren't electricty wires hanging all over the place. I'm actually thinking about turning that on its head one day, and doing a whole series of beautiful views spoilt by wires in all the wrong places...

Yes, the one on the far right. If you crop it out, the two remaining trees balance better (I think). Hadn't spotted the image quality as I was viewing on a phone.

Having grown up in an area where pylons were never far away, I quite like the rhythm of them swooping over a landscape. A bit like railway viaducts (I expect some Victorians moaned about those 'eyesores' at the time, too).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    shazzz wrote:
    ...but tend to enjoy photographing things that move.

That's the hardest sort of photography.

@Ben: Nice city shot. The foreground is mainly traditional architecture, the Gherkin seems to rise almost alienesque in the background.

@BT: Can you get Lavender honey?
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    If you'd like me to, cutie pie.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Funny :roll:

I meant with your location... you know what I meant.

I presume, that's top cycling country that is.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yes, the one on the far right. If you crop it out, the two remaining trees balance better (I think). Hadn't spotted the image quality as I was viewing on a phone.

Having grown up in an area where pylons were never far away, I quite like the rhythm of them swooping over a landscape. A bit like railway viaducts (I expect some Victorians moaned about those 'eyesores' at the time, too).
    Those lavender fields are in a good spot, and I could spend an hour or two prowling looking for interesting angles. The only trouble is that there's a 600m/12km ascent from there to cycling heaven, and my bike brain over-rules my photography brain every time. Nearly all my photographs are 'snatched' en route to somewhere else. Maybe when my cycling legs start to give up I'll pretend I'm more interested in photography.

Re wires etc. - I quite like the 'honesty' of the above-ground cabling in France - we all benefit from electricity, and the French don't hide it all away. But just occasionally it does intrude... there I was following an ancient Roman road in the scenic Rhône valley...

DSC01718.20140901blog.jpg
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Funny :roll:

I meant with your location... you know what I meant.

I presume, that's top cycling country that is.
    I'm not really a honey person (in fact, I truly hate anything sweet on bread & butter), so I haven't investigated, but yes, I'm sure I could. I'd probably find some at the market in Die (there are plenty of local honey producers), and the Vercors plateau seems to have its own business: http://www.labeilleduvercors.fr/nos-miels-du-vercors/ Most of the lavender is distilled, I think - on one of my favourite regular routes I pass four distilleries - the smell in August is definitely an improvement on the odours of muck-spreading in Devon.
  • rjsterry
    Couldn't find one of mine, but this is one Mrs rjsterry's shots of one the Carshalton lavender fields.

U9x1LIffG2A8m9yT9HL3v-iAIxS-gEhu95V-TKbmsTLNxFv9vCem3C4RVMUrscegRUJYGgJAt291QU1yVMhOKgxBmFHrqTgm4oE7UoUwhH-TReZBSNFX8QpJbVL-WKJr3i9tqemrso0LJn8rbHaWJI3E1tmGO0yfLpEunlPv7cXnC9JVmFtcucugrr3M7z8Pu1q-hnLIeWx8ASBkWV7HgrkL5uXuLNnGeQUqk1JTa42F_NFB2tBUmBwcYocypZtNCE3GNhYDdFwGwvUSX3tqBplQ3sDgoRPMkYQWmEdPADNz2_1039M4mRUf169y7fEOAYFiY_dPe-QBK3ZPXI5zjiJ6Q7z7t0Nm00dj-OPzbgvv_tK_YM_ta8YbcToa6CSfusspgwBM0uBMwWGC6iP0e2G8qz7hw8MsA7teMZCPdb14d89YphTB0MRvuXM8PbsnKi77EXGuN0ST9mYSr2IceEuwPeMNtgREVh_DWDXTvsPUctY0gORvyxRXcjyU4SnA3t6shLnDb-oHM7Up2eCV0Tyon6LkCSkywM9uRT53Dl8WjDFpuaHyFADiaYcUe-2HYYSkC_hR0vVYYcM-1HFx2LcWYESZ-OzSO130aVHZR5Bz2q6wHpmvMMwhRSUY8r4DapUdmUadC5f_ftWUxy_6wIEaTVq7L7F_2KIFFbL6Pdw=w972-h1464-no

And the heron doing a spot of fishing in the local park. Very lucky with the bright sunlight allowing a really fast shutter to 'freeze' the water.

XdverY7RpUBtc-V8JHn8y6vTi6bgLQWgurLlfJsIemBhe9AqOW810MZ9ZHs_UbhB0B-rNTonwvXHbQyoUOIR02kQJwwwcb9zsqaqPQzt8SCI19OEMDuAWQyhe0qHMKxdiqY6T-FCJ8VFA-n9PwDTiLWjZdVIiImN2yzra-RliMSH4Rf38Dch7RqxIXqKKJONp_zNP3g5f6DK_cSsr1joEGx5DVN_jsSyxpaonVv9m3AIBKkiYrah9kxBNSUz-X0S230T5bIS-nJVmSgj4Fmo8fkYBSiD-n7kxg-pHN7GOtnawTRGlYNlXZwUJS0sUTXAXor2M4RMps8Nrs13WI2XgKGq9yx1NILioruuUXDvQ8VtgFMCJSdPgWJVHdVDSABcmDTOSwYoV6XahPKR-cQFBdTyxRYYIrtCv1wQeaN2M0jSdCzDOpnHltTY3UWJVzxcKh7UM4JIGdiqDuTIw-_XEtxSJ2wd40-tsN8znM_ILlReE_wWT9apfTqErDX4yWb6g2qD6vY1moNRusz7bICKvcpjK02xIkNf97KSbN1xUzGRTxywcqUqW0c0WljFwk5MFPq3fqHAKpgWTq47dkdmp-O4GFWFZq7zELXu97wBh_61JgyUCtkuYQ=w2102-h1394-no
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Those lavender fields are in a good spot, and I could spend an hour or two prowling looking for interesting angles. The only trouble is that there's a 600m/12km ascent from there to cycling heaven, and my bike brain over-rules my photography brain every time. Nearly all my photographs are 'snatched' en route to somewhere else. Maybe when my cycling legs start to give up I'll pretend I'm more interested in photography.

Re wires etc. - I quite like the 'honesty' of the above-ground cabling in France - we all benefit from electricity, and the French don't hide it all away. But just occasionally it does intrude... there I was following an ancient Roman road in the scenic Rhône valley...

DSC01718.20140901blog.jpg
    I like the collage effect of the different signs, posts and pylons - particularly the speed limit sign as a kind of bull's eye - as well as what that photo says about the history of that bit of the world.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    I like the collage effect of the different signs, posts and pylons - particularly the speed limit sign as a kind of bull's eye - as well as what that photo says about the history of that bit of the world.
    That was the intention - cram as much man-made stuff into the frame as possible. Makes a change to my 'pretty' photos of the countryside.

Nice lavender photo, BTW - I like the out-of-focus person at the back, and you've avoided the cliched shot I was trying to find.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pinno wrote:

Chapeau! :lol:

Thanks for the positive comments on the Bishopsgate shot. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/