Laura Trott MTB 1

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Is it wrong or crazy to consider buying this if not a girl :oops:

Size L Seems about right size for me @ 510" tall?

Im considering it as my first mtb bike as the spec looks good for £315 but im pretty ignorant of mtb specs & sizing as only know about road bikes.

I would probably get the frame decals removed/or frame respray? as having looked at one in the shop they are very girly colours...

also swap over the saddle...

Some questions

What are the brakes like Tektro HDM21 can't find any reviews?

&
Female-specific geometry for comfort and performance

Is the geometry of the frame really special/different than a mens mtb?

Geo didn't look different from say the Carrera Vulcan when i looked at it?

Comments

• snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    You won't find anything better for you money! If it fits just ride it....
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    Moonbiker, I would definitely try it out for size. See my thread "ladies size". My wife is an average 5'4 woman and a size S is too small, so I have to go get a medium tomorrow. Unless I am wrong, I wonder if a large will be too small for you. Can't fault the kit though, very impressed, going to have to strip the small for parts as can't return to Halfords so hopefully won't lose too much £££
  • Moonbiker
    Any geometry chart available for frameset?

5' 7" - 5' 11" 170 - 180 54cm (L)

I don't understand this info from the website

54cm is what?

Effective TT?

What does the 48.5cm (S) refer to on the small?

All mtb seem odd to me as alot more "sit up & beg like" than road bikes...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    that's the "frame size" small is 17 inch, large is 21 inch
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    I don't understand the geometry either and I have one! I measured it up to try to compare with a canyon women's bike and struggled. Only advice I can give is as my small is too small for my wife who is 5'4
  • I actually bought one and I'm a 5'10" male. Went for the large size and it fits perfectly.

I stuck on a blokes saddle, got some new grips, got some stickers to cover up the decals and purple bits (you cant remove the decals as they are under the clearcoat) and I feel it doesn't look too bad. Went out for a hoon about with some club mates yesterday who all have proper race machines and even they had to reluctantly admit I'd got a bargain.
  • Should also say if anyone who is much taller than 5'10" is thinking about this bike then the large is unlikely to fit as I've got the seatpost right on the limit line.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    POAH wrote:
    Look at the photos of it though, that measurement certainly isn't the seat tube length as the XS is about a 13".
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    Look at the photos of it though, that measurement certainly isn't the seat tube length as the XS is about a 13".

no, you wouldn't expect it to be BB to TT with todays MTB's. but that's probably how they are measuring it virtually
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All halfords other bikes are in inches and BB to top of seat tube....so why not the Trott.....plus it gives a measurement that relates to......erm....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Moonbiker
    Im really happy with this bike.

Must get round to replacing the girly saddle though but im starting to like purple.