Bike material

Chris Yang
Chris Yang Posts: 2
edited March 2017 in Your mountain bikes
What kind of bike material would you choice when you buy a bike, carbon fiber, aluminium, titanium? :)

Comments

• Chris Yang wrote:
    What kind of bike material would you choice when you buy a bike, carbon fiber, aluminium, titanium? :)

depends on pretty much every factor. Type of bike, type of riding and money.
  • None of them.
  • Depends on the budget. I'm currently on AL frame, but somewhere in the future I'd like to get a chromoly. Naturally, I ride a hardtail.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have no preference, I would buy the bike based on how good it was .. and how much money I had
  • Seb K
    Seb K Posts: 23
    Carbon all the way then aluminium . Seriously titanium is really for looks . It's heavier than aluminium and flexes more . It might be a stronger material but with hydroforming, internal welding and butting you don't really need anything stronger . Also titanium can still bend and crack and a frame is only as strong as its joins so if it has been wleded badly then any material will be pointless .

Steel for me is rubbish as it is heavy, rusts easily and even if you polish it it never looks as nice as aluminium or titanium . I know I will get a lot fo hate for that last comment :mrgreen: .
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Seb K wrote:
    Steel for me is rubbish as it is heavy, rusts easily and even if you polish it it never looks as nice as aluminium or titanium . I know I will get a lot fo hate for that last comment :mrgreen: .

Well I have two steel MTB's from the Eighties neither of them are rusty or are they heavy, in fact some of the first Cannondale ally bikes in the Eighties were heavier than my Columbus and Reynolds steel bikes.

Take a look at this excellent modern steel full susser, http://www.starlingcycles.com/
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Plodder82
    Plodder82 Posts: 31
    Ali,coz it's cheap,light and reliable.
  • Bamboo
  • It depend on which tip of bike you take :D
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It depend on which tip of bike you take :D

Translate into English.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"