edited March 2017 in The bottom bracket
'ning

looks like a dry one, off to the mountains of highgate, also cafes, vegging

fitted new brakes yesterday, see if they work going downhill
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Kids taxi stuff then dropping off the eldest for his first time in town on his own :(

The younger rugrat is having a mate over so I will entertain them, hopefully they will want to play with the paintball guns :)

Then a quick bike ride to a pub with a pal for the rugby but not too much ale as we put out with the wives and another couple later
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Grey day. Taken wife's car to garage for mot. Just vegging with the kidz.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    For the first time since 6th Jan, I've woken up and realised that I have nothing that I have to do today. I feel quite at a loose end. Still recovering a bit from a whirlwind trip to Tokyo but I think I'm just going to chill. I might even ride a bike...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Tired. Rather a late night with plenty to eat and drink. Wife now has my cough so isn't doing great. Day of pottering about I reckon, need to buy my mother a birthday present for tomorrow, no idea what to get her.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mornin' folks

Had one bottle of beer last night and feel like I've drunk a brewery. Random.

However, stunning day outside so domestic chores. Brilliant.

However this will be countered by long walk with Das Goosenhound out in the country followed by dinner out with la famiglia. Country pub? Casual restaurant? Who knows. All I know is that I won't be driving.

Oh - I've also just bought a green saddle. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Lovely weather, nothing much planned. Had a hit of tennis for the first time in months. Ignored work deadlines and emails, quite a change from recent weeks..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Went to the market by bike this morning, nice cool 16c first thing, pleasant pootle, eggs are sold in a paper bag, fun coming back, no omlets were made. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Pinno wrote:

Herro evelybody peeps

Ho hum. Playing Dad today. We have consumed much Marmalade (with a little toast), built a Lego house, doodled...
    Full to the gunnel's with green stuff but it's all neck upwards so could do with OH finishing early so I can go pedal. Fajita wraps later with Pinno's extra extra strong home made Chilli salsa sauce. That should either blow my head off or clean the tubes out - preferably the latter. Will see which offers the most resistance; grey matter or green matter.

Laters
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Working my way through a long list of stuff to do today, no rest for the wicked. The wife seems to be taking an unhealthy interest in veggie food - I must try and head this off, especially with March 14th approaching :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Pah, wife's car needs a new "brake pipe", is that a thing?

Popped into screwfix and bought some Bolle shades, they make me look like a Ninja. Cheers for the tip Pinno!
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:

Popped into screwfix and bought some Bolle shades, they make me look like a Ninja. Cheers for the tip Pinno!

This again re riding shades. Dirt cheap, work well, no need to look after them as they are so cheap.

Then again, if you look after them they will last a lifetime. Much like Oakley but without spending a million pounds and knowing that your shades will look Jeffry in 2 years and you've spent a million pounds on them.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    edited March 2017
    Garry H wrote:

Yes. very common. Car brakes are hydraulic. You have a slave cylinder and a master cylinder. The master cylinder is a reservoir with 4 outlets for 4 wheels (funny that). When you press the brake pedal, that pushes a cylinder which drives hydraulic fluid pressure in the pipes to the slave cylinders. The slave cylinders then press either brake pads or brake shoes against the brake discs or brake drums respectively. Some cars have discs all round.
    Fluids do not compress. Hydraulic fluid is designed not to corrode metal, does not react to rubber [see 'flexi hose' later on], is not over susceptible to heat and is long lasting with little natural decomposition. Heat can cause changes in viscosity and therefore braking pressure/efficiency. So you cannot put any old oil in the brake system.
    Some cars have discs on the front and drums at the rear. Mine has drums in the rear for the handbrake and combined smaller discs as well for the brakes. So discs front and rear but drums as well!
    The front gets more pressure than the rear as the rear are more likely to lock up. Just like when you brake on a bicycle. The split in pressure requires a mechanism but i'm not going to go into that here. However, ABS (anti lock braking system) will oscillate pressure so that lock up does not occur. It's a bit like squeezing your brake lever 20 times a second (or more), which would prevent lock up. You can simulate this on your bike. Obviously not so quickly.
    Between the Chassis (car body) and the brake assembly, is a 'flexi hose' which allows for suspension travel as the copper pipes that carry the fluid from the master cylinder to the slave cylinders are rigid. It is common for the junction between the copper pipe and the flexi hose and the flexi hose to the inlet to the slave cylinder to corrode or fail.
    This is because the flexi hose is constantly moving - every time you steer or go over a bump and of course, vibration.
    Brake pipes aren't expensive, so do not get mugged.
    Hydraulics are amazing engineering principles.

[Edited 6 times for accuracy and additions.]
    Garry H wrote:

They are alright, aren't they?

Me sipping an Espresso which was poured onto a block of dark chocolate. Dreamtime.

Chicken for Fajita's are marinading in Paprika, tomato puree, olive oil and salt.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Yes. very common. Car brakes are hydraulic. You have a slave cylinder and a master cylinder. The master cylinder is a reservoir with 4 outlets for 4 wheels (funny that). When you press the brake pedal, that pushes a cylinder which drives hydraulic fluid through the pipes to the slave cylinder. The slave cylinders then press either brake pads or brake shoes against the brake discs or brake drums respectively.Some cars have discs all round.
    Some cars have discs on the front and drums at the rear. Mine has drums in the rear for the handbrake and smaller discs as well for the brakes.
    The front gets more pressure than the rear as the rear are more likely to lock up. Just like when you brake on a bicycle. The split in pressure requires a mechanism but i'm not going to go into that here.
    Between the Chassis (car body) and the brake assembly, is a 'flexi hose' which allows for suspension travel as the copper pipes that carry the fluid are rigid. It is common for the junction between the copper pipe and the flexi hose and the inlet to theslave cylinder to corrode or fail.
    Garry H wrote:

Me sipping an Espresso which was poured onto a block of dark chocolate. Dreamtime.

WTAF? Espresso on dark chocolate?

You make me sick.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Yes...mugged.
    Garry H wrote:

WTAF? Espresso on dark chocolate?

You make me sick.

Good.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Garry H wrote:

Where was the tip? Need more info on these asap. The sun was bugging me on my way to and from work last week.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Yes. very common. Car brakes are hydraulic. You have a slave cylinder and a master cylinder. The master cylinder is a reservoir with 4 outlets for 4 wheels (funny that). When you press the brake pedal, that pushes a cylinder which drives hydraulic fluid through the pipes to the slave cylinders. The slave cylinders then press either brake pads or brake shoes against the brake discs or brake drums respectively. Some cars have discs all round.
    Some cars have discs on the front and drums at the rear. Mine has drums in the rear for the handbrake and combined smaller discs as well for the brakes. So discs front and rear but drums as well!
    The front gets more pressure than the rear as the rear are more likely to lock up. Just like when you brake on a bicycle. The split in pressure requires a mechanism but i'm not going to go into that here. However, ABS (anti lock braking system) will oscillate pressure so that lock up does not occur. It's a bit like squeezing your brake lever 20 times a second (or more), which would prevent lock up. You can simulate this on your bike. Obviously not so quickly.
    Between the Chassis (car body) and the brake assembly, is a 'flexi hose' which allows for suspension travel as the copper pipes that carry the fluid from the master cylinder to the slave cylinders are rigid. It is common for the junction between the copper pipe and the flexi hose and the flexi hose to the inlet to the slave cylinder to corrode or fail.
    This is because the flexi hose is constantly moving - every time you steer or go over a bump and of course, vibration.
    Hydraulics are amazing engineering principles.
    Garry H wrote:

Chicken for Fajita's are marinading in Paprika, tomato puree, olive oil and salt.

Thank you sir, your 'wisdom', as always, is very much appreciated. Although. Just the bit about it being cheap would've sufficed :wink: Car is a Toyota, a grey one. Discs front and rear.

The shades fit very well with the cradle of my kask helment. Still feel that I have an itch to scratch with the oakleys though.

Friends coming over for dinner later, good old home made chicken pie.

Agree with MF re the espresso. Filth.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Everyone has gone out so the house is quiet at last. Time to do some jobs.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Garry H
    seanoconn wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Where was the tip? Need more info on these asap. The sun was bugging me on my way to and from work last week.

Here, by yur

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-contour ... pecs/3582f
  • pinno
    edited March 2017
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Yes...principles.
    Garry H wrote:

They...salt.

Although. Just the bit about it being cheap would've sufficed :wink: Car is a Toyota, a grey one. Discs front and rear.

I was bored.
    Garry H wrote:

Do you think IGAF?
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

It has been mentioned more than once but seen as you spend all your time in front of a mirror admiring yourself and not paying attention, you missed it.
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

It has been mentioned more than once but seen as you spend all your time in front of a mirror admiring yourself and not paying attention, you missed it.
    Oh I see. Still grumpy about not getting a Nork pic.
  • pinno
    No, just plain grumpy. Do I need a reason?
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Yes...principles.
    Garry H wrote:

They...salt.

Although. Just the bit about it being cheap would've sufficed :wink: Car is a Toyota, a grey one. Discs front and rear.

I was bored.
    Garry H wrote:

Do you think IGAF?

Yes, I actually think you're crying right now :cry:
  • Garry H
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Here, again

• seanoconn
    Cheers Garry :D
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Here, again

Traitor, tart, sycophant... worst of all - Taff.
    If you want to get it on with Seano then fine but he's fickle. Don't say I haven't warned you.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Pinno wrote:

well, as the title points out, it screws one's head
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Here, again

If you want to get it on with Seano then fine but he's fickle. Don't say I haven't warned you.
    Hell hath no fury like a Pinno scorned.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Here, again

Hell hath no fury like a Pinno scorned.

Well, it reminds me of that line by Tony's Mum in that well known series:

"I just don't know about the little Irish guy,,,"

Then he disappeared,
  • Garry H
    Apologies, didn't realise you two had "history"!

On the car front, 202 pounds for mot, service, one wiper blade, one number plate lightbulb and two brake pipes, fitted. Not bad. I was expecting worse, considering that my wife drives like a rally driver.