Bottle cages....and pumps

gingertimmins
gingertimmins Posts: 26
edited March 2017 in Road beginners
Hi guys, I'm looking at ways of avoiding using a backpack for my commute. I have a small seat bag for an inner tube and small tool set. All good. Now I need a small pump should the worst happen. Can I get a small pump that will attach to one of the bottle cage mounts on my frame? What are you guys using?

Also, bottle cages... is it any use spending money on this or will the cheapest one I find do the job probiotics fits my bottle?

Cheers,
Chris

Comments

• I have a blackburn airstick SL on mine, great pump and highly recommended. Elite alloy cages are good if you want something basic.
  • What benefit does a less basic bottle cage bring?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its only a bottle cage. Alloy is fine as you can bend them in if needs be.

You can't do that with carbon fibre.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Re bottle cages - have a look at the "do people really buy this stuff" thread in road general.

Instead of a pump you could get a couple of cO2 thingies and keep them in the saddle bag.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Lots of small pumps come with a mount to go on the bottle cage bolts. Just make sure it doesn't foul your feet when pedalling, or the front mech, or whatever.

On my road bike I have all the tools, tubes and pumps I need in a bottle cage tool kit; like a water bottle with a large opening lid that stores stuff instead of water.

There are also things that you can store inside your bike, like multitools that store in the hollow crank and pumps that go in the seatpost.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat wrote:
    Lots of small pumps come with a mount to go on the bottle cage bolts. Just make sure it doesn't foul your feet when pedalling, or the front mech, or whatever.

On my road bike I have all the tools, tubes and pumps I need in a bottle cage tool kit; like a water bottle with a large opening lid that stores stuff instead of water.

There are also things that you can store inside your bike, like multitools that store in the hollow crank and pumps that go in the seatpost.

My mind has been blown! A bottle shaped tool kit. What simple brilliance!
  • Matthewfalle
    figbat wrote:

My mind has been blown! A bottle shaped tool kit. What simple brilliance!

Yup - you can either get hard plastic one or soft ones - I have one tha lives in my back pocket.

Can't find the one I have but her is an example of the sort of thing: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BOTATB/tan ... ool-bottle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get a race rocket and keep it in your pocket.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    elite cages aren't quite the cheapest but they are very reliable and work fine with a range of bottles

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-custom-race-bottle-cage/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    rubertoe wrote:

What's that?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Another plan is to stand by the side of the road looking sorry for yourself and then when some have a go hero comes past carrying everything bar the kitchen sink he will do all the work for you.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe wrote:

What's that?

its a pump

https://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/racerocket_black
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Matthewfalle
    rubertoe wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

What's that?

its a pump

https://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/racerocket_black

Ooooh - that's cool. Are they any good?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    S'alright.

It'll get you home.

Don't expect 7-8 bar, mind.
  • Matthewfalle
    Hmmmm - I'll stick to some CO2 canisters and a presto/schrader adaptort then. Ta muchly!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rubertoe
    I like the race rocket (infact i am big fan of topeak).

It will easily inflate your tyres to 90psi. even with my trex arms and another benefit is its tiny and fits easily into a jersey pocket.

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Carry a CO2 can and adaptor thing, Also a sneaky Toppeak Ninja in the seatpost
  • Lezyne pumps are top quality and the flex hose attachment is a welcome addition.
    Come with a bracket to mount under your bottle cage:

wp-1458568287472-e1458572918495-1024x576.jpg

Then a "cage pod" or similar is good for spares, totally waterproof too:

xlab-mini-cage-pod-internal.jpg
  • giampi
    giampi Posts: 5
    That's a nice, compact one that comes with good side mount braket to fix between the frame and bottle cage. also fits schrader and presta valves and comes with an integrated, extractable tube.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... rocket-hpx
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Frame mounted pumps can get covered in road crud mind you......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Lezyne mini pump fitted to downtube bottle cage, works well, has a little velcro strap but TBH i don't think it needs it, the clip holds the pump pretty tight

The mini pumps are a struggle to get to 100ish psi but good enough to get you home

Lezyne-Nylon-Bracket-Mount-for-Pressure-Drive-Pumps-Manual-Pumps-Black-L-1-RP-BRKT-V1NHPMP.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Rule #30.

The Lezyne has a velcro strap for the frame mount, making violation of rule #30 possible. However, NEVER depend only on the frame pump mount.

I did this when I first started and hit a bump and had to stop and go get the pump. Imagine that pump finding its way between spokes or under another rider's tire.

If wearing a jersey, I put it in a jersey pocket.
  • Rule #30.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Rule #30.

The Lezyne has a velcro strap for the frame mount, making violation of rule #30 possible. However, NEVER depend only on the frame pump mount.

I did this when I first started and hit a bump and had to stop and go get the pump. Imagine that pump finding its way between spokes or under another rider's tire.

If wearing a jersey, I put it in a jersey pocket.

Fair point, i DO use the strap but will make sure of it in future
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have Lezyne Flow cages and one of them came with a couple of foam pads and a grippy strap so it will take my Lezyne mini pump. So far secure and silent.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-flow-cag ... GBP&dest=1
  • Rule #30.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Tongue in cheek.

That website list cannot be taken seriously.

The pump was a convenient opportunity to poke fun of it.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Re bottle cages - have a look at the "do people really buy this stuff" thread in road general.

Instead of a pump you could get a couple of cO2 thingies and keep them in the saddle bag.

I would never buy just a CO2 pump but go for one that that does both manual pumping and CO2. I think the term is a hybrid pump?
    Because Ive had the scenarios where the inner tube punctured again on initial inflation (pinch flat between the wheel rim and tyre sidewall) and where the inner core of the valve accidentally got stuck inside the pump and screwed itself out as I was removing the pump (This is a common fault with Conti inner tubes and screw thread pumps).
    In these scenarios, if you have a one shot CO2 cartridge, you are up a creek without a paddle. While with a manual pump you can always re-inflate the inner tube again.
    With the pinch flat I used patches. With the stuck valve core I used a bit of oil wiped from the chain.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Matthewfalle
    something like this should cover 99% of eventualities - customise as required.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/products/ ... -tool-kits

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    edited March 2017
    simple I use these still available on ebay

Or the new ones even smaller fit any pocket with three cartridges

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-one- ... r-EV162366
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    ben@31 wrote:

I would never buy just a CO2 pump but go for one that that does both manual pumping and CO2. I think the term is a hybrid pump?
    Because Ive had the scenarios where the inner tube punctured again on initial inflation (pinch flat between the wheel rim and tyre sidewall) and where the inner core of the valve accidentally got stuck inside the pump and screwed itself out as I was removing the pump (This is a common fault with Conti inner tubes and screw thread pumps).
    In these scenarios, if you have a one shot CO2 cartridge, you are up a creek without a paddle. While with a manual pump you can always re-inflate the inner tube again.
    With the pinch flat I used patches. With the stuck valve core I used a bit of oil wiped from the chain.

DUH you carry more than one cartridge