1 spoke snapped...

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited March 2017 in Workshop
1 Of my spokes snapped on my rear wheel. Then I decided to rip it off(bad idea probably). Then closer to home I got a puncture(bad day). When I put the wheel back in it wont spin in a straight line, it wobbles from side to side. I assume its because of a missing spoke? So now I don't know what it is as everytime I spin the rear wheel it touches the breaks, because it wont spin in a straight line. What do I do? Is it because of the missing spoke, the wheel wobbles? Any help much appreciated.
P.S I am new to road cycling.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No one you know is up to speed with bike repairs?
    You need to get the spoke replaced and wheel trued again... not a fantastical difficult job but needing a little bit of expertise

Bike shop repair or
    purchase some spare spokes off Ebay.. measure the length of a spoke.. a spoke key
    either way, your bike is off the road until the wheel is repaired.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Given your initial question you need to take the wheel to a bike shop and get them to put a new spoke in and true it. When I say a bike shop I mean a proper bike shop and not a Halfords type outfit. Given the question I hesitate to recommend getting a spoke and key and trying it yourself. If you are able, remove the tyre and tube before taking it in to the shop.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah without the spoke it will be weaker on that side.

Take it to a shop and get it replaced asap.
  • Blade180
    Blade180 Posts: 70
    So just to confirm, the reason for the wheel moving side to side is because of the broken spoke correct?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes. That's what all three of us have said.
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    I would personally try fixing it yourself first, just install the new spoke and see if you can get it true by only adjusting that one. If you can't then some of the other spokes may need adjusting too, although I generally find only the spoke I replace needs adjusting when I replace one. You just need a spoke key and a replacement spoke, which can be had for only a few pounds each. Then if you really get stuck after that, take it to a bike shop to sort.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When my old rear wheel started falling apart just fitting a spoke and tensioning it the same as the others would retrue the wheel.

I gave up after 10 spokes though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.