Anyone suffered a Failure from Schwalbe tyre wall cracks? [PHOTOS INCLUDED]

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited March 2017 in Workshop
I bought some Schwalbe One tyres last Summer. Fitted to my Summer wheels and they were great. Probably put on no more than 1500 miles. They were put away for Winter (stored in bags in garage) and have some come out for the return of Spring.

Unfortunately during hibernation they have developed cracks along the sidewalls. I've looked into this online and apparently it's a common issue. A lot of posts saying it's just cosmetic and the tyre carcass will stop the tyre failing.

So my question is simply: Has anyone had the Schwalbe tyre sidewall cracks cause a tyre failure? I'm not sure whether to dump them (and go back to Conti's) or keep riding them.

Some photos below:

20170307_170834_zpsjb4adgbw.jpg

20170307_170848_zpsilvyztfn.jpg

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    That is not cosmetic!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - same as you.

A couple of years ago loads of people had this problem and there was thread on here about it.

Mine fell apart in <100 miles. I sent them back to CRC who refunded me without a quibble, so it looks like it was a known problem.

Get rid of them get some Mich Pro Race 3s (not the 4s as they fall apart as well).
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bus_ter
    I'll email Schwalbe and see what they say. Failing that I will return to Wiggle.

They simply should last much longer.
  • bus_ter
    I had a reply from a Schwalbe UK representative. I've quoted below. They've seen the same photos and say it IS just a cosmetic issue.. Even though it does look quite bad.

"From a safety stand point cracking on the walls (despite looking rather frightening) does not make the tyres un-rideable as the carcass, that which the tyre is made up onto, is unaffected. This is essentially a cosmetic issue but one which will cause alarm."
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Mine did the same. Cracks and threads hanging off them all over the place. Cosmetic or not, I'd ask for a refund and buy something that stays in one piece.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc