New Biker

TrackGoat789
TrackGoat789 Posts: 17
edited March 2017 in Track
Hello,
I recently got into road biking and put a fair share of miles on my bike. I have a velodrome about an hour away and I have found myself captivated by the simplistic look of track bikes. Like everyone else I love the aero designs of bikes, but I can also appreciate a handmade steel frame. My budget for the frame is about 750-800$ and I was curious as to what frame (new or used) you guys would suggest. I have rollers at home and a strip of land without a hill to practice on, So dont jump on me and say "you have no track nearby so dont purchase an expensive track frame". I like beautiful frames, and I think the dolan pre cursa is gross :)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I like beautiful frames, and I think the dolan pre cursa is gross :)

In which case, seeing as 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - just pick a frame you like the look of.
  • Imposter wrote:

In which case, seeing as 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - just pick a frame you like the look of.

Not all pretty frames work as well as others.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Imposter wrote:

the Pre Cursa might be ugly but it is very very good, for the price cant go wrong, my daughter has beaten plenty of riders on very expensive carbon aero bikes but of course the Pre Cursa cant compare on build quality/paint scheme with one in your price bracket.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Not sure, as I haven't ridden many different track frames, but then neither have you by the sound of it. Track is one of the few disciplines where, in general, a Dolan pre-cursa and a Bridgestone PHM9 could go head-to-head in a scratch race and the fittest rider would still win regardless.

You want a ''pretty' frame - then pay over the odds for a Cinelli.
  • velokev
    velokev Posts: 20
    I'm bias but I really like the look and feel of my planet x pro carbon track. The basic level version is usually around £800. Planet x pricing is all over the place.

Mine was put together ok apart from the tubs that I had to re-glue. Probably better to tell them not to bother trying fitting the tyres if you go for the tubs.