Rochdale bans swearing

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited March 2017 in The cake stop

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Rochdale sounds like it has aspirations of being boring and tedious.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Rochdale sounds like it has aspirations of being boring and tedious.

Don't worry, there aren't enough police to enforce it. They hardly bother turning out for "real" crime these days. :evil:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    It can only be a matter of time before someone has their name changed by deed-poll to "F*****g Tw@t" and has their mate shout them from across the town square. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Are there not already laws in place that could be used if someone is swearing loudly in public?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Are there not already laws in place that could be used if someone is swearing loudly in public?

Potentially yes - depending on the circumstances, s.5 Public Order Act, being drunk and disorderly or common law breach of the peace.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,002
    I hate to say it but my little village is somewhat attached to Rochdale and although there is 0% chance of them enforcing the change it is something which needs to be looked at.

It isn't just swearing though
    Begging, “loitering”, antisocial parking, playing loud music, loudly revving car engines, street drinking, unauthorised charity collections and skateboarding could also be banned under the move

The amount of beggars is getting out of hand with atleast 6 or 7 within 100m along the town street.

TBH I hardly ever go in anymore as it's a dump and when McDonalds pulls out you know there is a problem.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Flocking beggars...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Erm did the word i used which means an accumulation of birds really get asterisked out :-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Capt Slog wrote:
    It can only be a matter of time before someone has their name changed by deed-poll to "F*****g Tw@t" and has their mate shout them from across the town square. :)

I think you'll find Rochdale, in common with most town centres, already has it's fair share of F*****g Tw@ts. :(
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    It isn't just swearing though
    Begging, “loitering”, antisocial parking, playing loud music, loudly revving car engines, street drinking, unauthorised charity collections and skateboarding could also be banned under the move

They might want to add the grooming of young girls to that list.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    I'd love to see them try this in Middlesbrough.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I almost got arrested once in Rochdale for making noise.

It was an awful long time ago (about 30 years) and as a yoof I had just left a pub with my mate and we got stopped by a couple of policemen for shouting (which I still don't think we were).

We only got away with it because of my extreme negotiation skills and ability to appeal to the policemen's better nature. I don't think the fact that my mate's dad was extremely senior in the police had anything to do with it. Not. At. All.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Bunch of cowboys!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • That's the trouble with life. Words are only offensive because think they are. Take the word 'shed' for example. Perfectly normal word, but within months it could be redefined as a swear word if people started to use it as such.

For example. "She's a lovely girl but she has a slack shed; I could get my whole hand in."

or "Her shed was packed full of my junk and then she asked me to take my organ out"

If somebody got offended, it would be an offensive word.
  • Stevo_666
    That's the trouble with life. Words are only offensive because think they are. Take the word 'shed' for example. Perfectly normal word, but within months it could be redefined as a swear word if people started to use it as such.

For example. "She's a lovely girl but she has a slack shed; I could get my whole hand in."

or "Her shed was packed full of my junk and then she asked me to take my organ out"

You need to be careful, there are some professional offence takers on here who can magic up offence out of thin air.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That's the trouble with life. Words are only offensive because think they are. Take the word 'shed' for example. Perfectly normal word, but within months it could be redefined as a swear word if people started to use it as such.

You need to be careful, there are some professional offence takers on here who can magic up offence out of thin air.

Yeah there are some right miserable 'sheds' on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yeah there are some right miserable 'sheds' on here.
    This must be a very offensive website:
    https://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12