Water bottle hole "washers" on carbon frame

fat_tail
fat_tail Posts: 786
edited March 2017 in Workshop
I am not sure what the right name for these things are. But the little "washer" which sit on the outside of the hole through which the bottle cages are attached have come off my bike. Are these replaceable ? Can they be glued back ? Can they be purchased ?

thanks for your help
Ridley Fenix SL

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The outside bit is usually attached to the threaded inside bit; I'd have thought if the outer bits have gone the threaded parts could drop down inside the tube. They are Rivnuts or Nutserts. They can be replaced. Many bike shops have the kit / inserts.
  • fat_tail
    keef66 wrote:
    The outside bit is usually attached to the threaded inside bit; I'd have thought if the outer bits have gone the threaded parts could drop down inside the tube. They are Rivnuts or Nutserts. They can be replaced. Many bike shops have the kit / inserts.

I dont mean the actual alumium nut but there seems to be a small ring, probably carbon but more likely some plastic, that sits on the frame on the outside of the hole. this is on a Scott CR1.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • keef66
    fat_tail wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I dont mean the actual alumium nut but there seems to be a small ring, probably carbon but more likely some plastic, that sits on the frame on the outside of the hole. this is on a Scott CR1.

Now I'm intrigued. I happen to have my CR1 in the car outside (dropping car at garage for it's MOT tomorrow then riding home) and it currently has no bottle cage on the seat-tube so I'll have a look.
  • keef66
    Hmm. As far as I can tell there's a kind of beefed up little donut which is part of the tube and I'm assuming is carbon/resin, and a smaller alu washer type thing which I think is the outer part of the rivnut.

Can you post a pic of what's happened to yours?
  • fat_tail
    keef66 wrote:
    Hmm. As far as I can tell there's a kind of beefed up little donut which is part of the tube and I'm assuming is carbon/resin, and a smaller alu washer type thing which I think is the outer part of the rivnut.

Can you post a pic of what's happened to yours?

the beefed up little donut is what I am looking for. it is glued to the frame. Just want to know if they can be purchased or should I try to salvage it from the riv nut. It has basically fallen off the frame I suspect that sweat has contributed to the destruction of the glue that held it to the frame
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Why not just use a new plastic washer instead?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat_tail
    Why not just use a new plastic washer instead?

because this "washer" makes the actual hole smaller to fit the riv nut
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Aaah - explains all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.